kifaru emr2..

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody using a bikini frame with this size of pack, or is it better suited to the duplex, loaded up with camp and meat?

weaver

WKR
Having used both i prefer the bikini. A bunch of guys prefer the duplex though. I have had an entire bone-in cow elk on mine which is more weight than i ever hope to carry again. Cant say it was comfortable but the frame handled it well.

Wiley, I'm running my EMR2 with a bikini frame. Works like a champ! I would have bought the duplex but I don't carry incredibly heavy loads very often that would require the extra heft of the duplex. I figure if most of my loads are day pack hunting and training with 40-80# the bikini would be a better choice. I have had 150# worth of corn in it for a few trips and it handled the weight better than I did. So....90% of my use is less than crazy heavy. This makes me feel the bikini is a better choice for me.

kodiakfly

WKR
The only question I have is What are you guys doing for accessories? I'm thinking 2 medium belt pouches for packing a rifle. Is there anything else I should consider? Lid?? Internal storage?

I've got a LH and Grab it for carrying the bow (pics are in the other thread) and Medium belt pouches. I carry my whites in one so I don't have to unpack anything if I need to get them on in a hurry. I don't use anything internal.

Couldn't be happier or more impressed with my EMR II. Run a long hunter lid with a small and medium pouch on the belt. Decided to go with the duplex frame and have absolutely no complaints. The center zip is truly an amazing design. Allows for access through the pack. I will admit the pack did seem a bit overwhelming at first, but after a couple trips loaded up with gear, the pack is perfect. I don't think you will be disappointed if you pull the trigger on this pack. Also as stated in earlier posts, the pack can be compressed down easily and nicely into a day pack.

shaun

WKR
Nice, thanks for the feedback. I think I need one now. Trying to decide between Dt1 or Emr2.

I run them both and I would have a hard time choosing myself. I have to admit that it is nice how the EMR turns into a 2400ci bag and looks very streamlined. But they both have their perks!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The only question I have is What are you guys doing for accessories? I'm thinking 2 medium belt pouches for packing a rifle. Is there anything else I should consider? Lid?? Internal storage?

Have a large waistbelt pouch on the left side of the hipbelt , a rifle holder and a small pouch on the right side of the hipbelt. Used a longhunter lid all last season but going to a Guide Lid this season. Can see adding anything else to the pack. In fact likely be looking at selling my grab it here shortly.

Is the grab it the only way to attach a bow? I was thinking about trying to find a way to uses the compression straps around the riser to secure it.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've used just the compression straps several times with no issue...works great.

The Gran It will help, but not NEEDED if you're trying to save $.

bergnp

FNG
I just pulled the trigger on an EMRII with Guide Lid, Duplex, two belt pockets, and a gun bearer. In Kryptek Highlander. After looking at the stuff in Denver at the Kifaru Showroom this last december, I was sold. But the people who put 6-700 as a price are a little off. My whole package with accessories and $39 in shipping to alaska (which is unreasonably cheap it seems) was a stitch over $1100. But from listening to my friends who have the packs, seeing them in action, and visiting with the staff in Denver (Heath I believe led us around), I have no reservations spending my money with this company. I have full confidence in their customer service and look forward to doing more business with them. In fact, my hunting partner for this fall will be ordering the same package soon. Reputation is everything in this business, and Kifaru has it. I'm excited!

kodiakfly

WKR
I just pulled the trigger on an EMRII with Guide Lid, Duplex, two belt pockets, and a gun bearer. In Kryptek Highlander. After looking at the stuff in Denver at the Kifaru Showroom this last december, I was sold. But the people who put 6-700 as a price are a little off. My whole package with accessories and $39 in shipping to alaska (which is unreasonably cheap it seems) was a stitch over $1100. But from listening to my friends who have the packs, seeing them in action, and visiting with the staff in Denver (Heath I believe led us around), I have no reservations spending my money with this company. I have full confidence in their customer service and look forward to doing more business with them. In fact, my hunting partner for this fall will be ordering the same package soon. Reputation is everything in this business, and Kifaru has it. I'm excited!

I was in the exact same boat. I remember hearing the $700 figure mentioned too. Also remember the $1200 invoice.

But the pack has been great and everything everyone said it would be and Kifaru's service is what people say it is. Now I'm adding a Rambler to go with it.

Here's a tip for getting it to AK- maybe call Kifrau and ask to add a few bucks for shipping. I ordered the same pack, and $39 sounds familiar and mine came C.O.D. for like an extra $10 and I had to wait over the weekend to go into the post office to pay and pick it up.

bergnp

FNG
I was in the exact same boat. I remember hearing the $700 figure mentioned too. Also remember the $1200 invoice.

But the pack has been great and everything everyone said it would be and Kifaru's service is what people say it is. Now I'm adding a Rambler to go with it.

Here's a tip for getting it to AK- maybe call Kifrau and ask to add a few bucks for shipping. I ordered the same pack, and $39 sounds familiar and mine came C.O.D. for like an extra $10 and I had to wait over the weekend to go into the post office to pay and pick it up.

The $39 covers priority shipping to AK. I work with at least 10 people who live in the Denver area and commute to the slope who would haul it for me, but the taxes in Colorado are worse than shipping. It's a travesty.

kodiakfly

WKR
What all did you guys end up ordering in your package?

Bag
26" Duplex w/composite stays
Grab-It II
Two medium belt pouches.

The $39 covers priority shipping to AK.

Didn't cover it for me. I'll see if I still have my invoice and see what I paid in shipping. I got a note on my door that my bag was at the post office. I'll be ordering a Rambler in a month or two and I'm going to specifically ask to make sure I have enough shipping up front, or request they send it FedEx or UPS if that's an option. It's not Kifrau's fault.

OP
D

DIY

WKR
Im just sontorn between emr and nomad.. any reason why emr is better. Tgey both look good

kodiakfly

WKR
Im just sontorn between emr and nomad.. any reason why emr is better. Tgey both look good

I know there were more Nomads for sale this last year than EMR2's. I never had a Nomad, but a lot of guys' reasoning for selling it was that it just wasn't conducive to their style of carry. The concept is sound as far as all the modularity of the Nomad, but I think at the end of the day a lot of guys just prefer a big bag that can do it all. That's me at least and is why I have an EMR2 that I don't plan to ever sell.