Kifaru 8-Man Tipi

Daniel_M

WKR
I am in need of a lightweight, but also larger tent for floats and back country wheeling with the family. Stove-ability must be an option whether wood or gas.

2 adults, some kiddos and dogs?

Generally camp spots aren't a big issue, I can find or carve out the real estate.

What size and why? Leaning to the 8man.

5e7a5fe888eebea2bbf2d4dfd3a7ea6c.jpg

ab3515430068b5a71f0f177ea9e59e0f.jpg

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
1) Weight - we roll light when wheeling, but also roll dirty light on the river. 7# vs the 31# Cabelas
2) Packed down size.
3) Built in stove ability. I'd have to sew in a stove jack on a guide model.

And partly, I wanna be able to stand up in a tent that does all the above. I spent a bit of time in Lukes 12-man Tipi - it's just too large for my needs. Ive got 40+ night in my SL5, it's great for me and the wife - but thats it.

No doubt the Cabelas tents are great, but usually when size/weight isn't an issue.

I'd get an 8 man from SO or Kifaru. I had a 6 man SO, and I wouldn't want to go more than 3 people with a stove in there...maybe 3 and a dog.

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
I'd get an 8 man from SO or Kifaru. I had a 6 man SO, and I wouldn't want to go more than 3 people with a stove in there...maybe 3 and a dog.

Good points. I'll throw the Seek Outside Tipi's in the mix as well. I know this forum has a high amount of Kifaru users, I myself am one - but I won't discount SO if they hold the bar.

colonel00

WKR
1) Weight - we roll light when wheeling, but also roll dirty light on the river. 7# vs the 31# Cabelas
2) Packed down size.
3) Built in stove ability. I'd have to sew in a stove jack on a guide model.

And partly, I wanna be able to stand up in a tent that does all the above. I spent a bit of time in Lukes 12-man Tipi - it's just too large for my needs. Ive got 40+ night in my SL5, it's great for me and the wife - but thats it.

No doubt the Cabelas tents are great, but usually when size/weight isn't an issue.

Completely understood. I will also agree that if weight, while still somewhat a factor, can be managed a bit, I would get the biggest tent/tipi possible. I don't even consider myself tall but I can't stand hunching over or constantly crawling around on my old knees.

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
I've been spoiled the past few seasons with the Arctic Oven. Nothin holds a candle to it, really. Cots, zero condensation wood/gas heat...Been awesome. But - it's bulky and 55#. My end result is many of the same creature comforts at a fraction of the dimensions.

AO10.jpg

BullDown.jpg

moose.jpg

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider

I am waiting on a SO 6p right now. Going to be using it with 4 people and stove....guess we shall see how it works out

JG358

WKR
I am waiting on a SO 6p right now. Going to be using it with 4 people and stove....guess we shall see how it works out

Good luck, I feel a bit crowded in my 8man with 3 people, gear and a stove.

Last edited:

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
If need be we will have a tarp to cover the gear. Luckily some in the party are smallish sized.

TheJuice

WKR
<br />
Think so? Man that 18ft footprint is big.<br/>

That is big. But about 2'-3' of the perimeter is only good for gear. I've only got a SO6 and even though the pole is 7'-10", you can only stand in the center 4'-5'

Browtine

WKR
Agree on the 12 man. I have an 8 and 3 guys fill it up quick. I also have both SO and Kifaru tipis and you'll be happy with either.

rayporter

WKR
my 12 man works for 4.
my 6 man is a light 2 man. comfy and lots of gear room.
the 8 man fits in the middle- i never had more than 2 in it but 4 would be crowded. not impossible just crowded.

the cheapi tipi from sportsman guide is heavy for what it is. we used a 12 ft. for spring turkey. he was looking at the 10 ft and said he bought the 12. it could be the 18, i guess since i did not measure it and took his word. it had a few drips even after sealing but was ok. the floor caught the water of course and made puddles. it has a lot of ventilation and was not too bad for condensation. that floor will wear out very fast. one thing that could bother folks is all the guy out lines to trip over. i would not count on it to stand very much snow. the windows are cool and add ventilation but are a source of water. 2 of us could wipe up the water and dodge the drips just fine. it will hold 4 and gear ok. the guy outs allow a lot more room to be used.
it has a very tall peak and 4 guys could stand to dress in it.
little things like the guy out lines and window covers would catch snow. so if the seams were not real strong something might tear. we had a little trouble with the door zipper but i forget jut what. i am sure he will get 200 bucks worth of use out of it just in spring hunts, but we are not taking it to the high country.