Ketchikan - small fishing charter?

Planned a last minute trip for early Sept this year. First time to Ketchikan for me. Looking for a fishing charter for a day or two but only finding larger boats that have 4 person payment minimums.

Anyone have suggestions for small fishing outfits in the Ketchikan area? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I don't, if you want a guide all of them run six packs (that I know of).

There is a spot out of Knutson Cove that rents skiffs and fishing gear, I forget the name.

If paying, Skip & Louise (North End Charters) are probably the best at putting fish on the boat. Never fished with them, that is based on reputation.

Some boats out of Knutson Cove might take a mixed group, I would call the marina and ask.

Leave your name & # with all of the companies & let them know you only have 2. There's a good chance they can pair you up with another couple / group in the next few weeks

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
I don't, if you want a guide all of them run six packs (that I know of).

There is a spot out of Knutson Cove that rents skiffs and fishing gear, I forget the name.

If paying, Skip & Louise (North End Charters) are probably the best at putting fish on the boat. Never fished with them, that is based on reputation.

Some boats out of Knutson Cove might take a mixed group, I would call the marina and ask.
The place in Knutson Cove is called just that - Knutson Cove Marina.

We just got back from Ketchikan and spent a week there. We have done this trip a few times. The absolute best of the best is Baranof fishing excursions, but they're not cheap. Super cool experience though. I would recommend doing their hard top boat and doing a full day. They also have their own private island with a chef for a truly wild cook your catch experience. I think the 30 foot hardtop is $2500/day. If you do go i'd request Chris Baldwin. He is their lead guide and you will not be disappointed.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
You won't be disappointed!

Attachments

• 20240802_112021.jpg
    20240802_112021.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4935.jpg
    IMG_4935.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4948.jpg
    IMG_4948.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20240730_132238.jpg
    20240730_132238.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20240726_115818.jpg
    20240726_115818.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 46
OP
T
That does look like a great time! Pricey but looks awesome

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a little bit of ability, rent a skiff or a enclosed boat for yourself and go troll. Knudson Cove has both, or just google Ketchikan DIY boat rentals. If they'll have rods is kinda hit or miss.

There's pretty much 3-4 places to troll for salmon around there. Plenty of people to give you info on where and how, either online or in person. Plus you'll see the rest of the yellow boat brigade to know if you're in the right spot.

OP
T
If you have a little bit of ability, rent a skiff or a enclosed boat for yourself and go troll. Knudson Cove has both, or just google Ketchikan DIY boat rentals. If they'll have rods is kinda hit or miss.

There's pretty much 3-4 places to troll for salmon around there. Plenty of people to give you info on where and how, either online or in person. Plus you'll see the rest of the yellow boat brigade to know if you're in the right spot.

This passed my mind as I’ve trolled many time before in my own boat before I sold it. But my concern is the fishing regulations and fish identification

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
You really only need to be able to tell coho from kings. It's a little daunting, but the kings in the water in September will all be shakers and probably 12" or less. I was a little concerned my first time, but the black gums are 99% of the time super obvious once you see them next to a coho mouth.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
You really only need to be able to tell coho from kings. It's a little daunting, but the kings in the water in September will all be shakers and probably 12" or less. I was a little concerned my first time, but the black gums are 99% of the time super obvious once you see them next to a coho mouth.
Agreed on the black gums. After a while you start picking up the purple tint to the scales before you net them. Harder part is measuring them when they’re close to legal.