Kestrel + Leica AB Binos?

revoked

FNG
I recently picked up a pair of Leica Geovid Pro 10x42s and they can handle all the ballistics calcs I want with the embedded AB (I even paid for the onboard AB upgrade). Of course the only thing they don't handle is wind speed, which has me looking at a Kestrel.

My question for you all, is there any reason to consider a higher end ballistics enabled Kestrel, or will a lower end one suffice to just get wind speed info? I believe the binos can "LINK" to the Kestrel as well, but to be honest I don't know what that functionality is / does that would improve what the Leica's do on their own.

I like to buy once where possible, so appreciate the guidance on helping me avoid any blind spots on this purchase.

khuber84

WKR
The higher end kestrel 5700 elite, can link to the Leica and will push elevation/wind data to the binos. When linked, the kestrel processor supercedes the AB inside the binos. It's a lil quicker and more seamless this way, VS getting the kestrel out, gauging wind speed, determining the wind angle offset to target, inputing everything into the Leica interface, ranging for dope/wind.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
I pair my Geovid Pro’s to my Kestrel Elite 24/7. Easier to switch back and forth on multiple rifles at the range. The Elite is worth the money.

I pair my Geovid Pro’s to my Kestrel Elite 24/7. Easier to switch back and forth on multiple rifles at the range. The Elite is worth the money.
Dont you burn through batteries very quickly with the kestrel? I have one of the original non-bluetooth AB kestrels (4700?) and even that goes through batteries pretty quick if using a lot.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Dont you burn through batteries very quickly with the kestrel? I have one of the original non-bluetooth AB kestrels (4700?) and even that goes through batteries pretty quick if using a lot.
My batteries will last me around 5-6 months in the kestrel and 2-3 months in the binos. I’m either at the range, a match, or hunting on the weekends. I carry a spare battery for each unit at all times.

OP
R

revoked

FNG
The higher end kestrel 5700 elite, can link to the Leica and will push elevation/wind data to the binos. When linked, the kestrel processor supercedes the AB inside the binos. It's a lil quicker and more seamless this way, VS getting the kestrel out, gauging wind speed, determining the wind angle offset to target, inputing everything into the Leica interface, ranging for dope/wind.
That does sound a lot cleaner. The binos can only display elevation though? So you still need to read wind correction from the Kestrel or from the Leica app?

OP
R

revoked

FNG
Do the profiles in the Kestrel just push to the binos? So the binos are only providing ranging info for the solution?

Anyone know of a YouTube video that walks through any of this? I looked but couldn’t find much out there.

Appreciate the responses

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Do the profiles in the Kestrel just push to the binos? So the binos are only providing ranging info for the solution?

Anyone know of a YouTube video that walks through any of this? I looked but couldn’t find much out there.

Appreciate the responses
Yes, once you link the two units the dope for whichever gun profile you have selected on your Kestrel will show up in your binos as you range things. It will auto update on your kestrel as well.

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I have been trying to play with and really determine what is the most appropriate route for function and cost.

If I have binoculars such as the Geovid Pro's, is it worth it to pay the $150 to unlock Elite if I have a Kestrel with Elite?

If I have LRF Bino's with Elite, do I need a kestrel with Elite, or can I use the weather on the Kestrel, and Elite computer in the LRF Bino's.

It seems kind of redundant to have 2 separate computers that have AB Elite installed, vs
  • Having a LRF Bino with AB Elite to do the math and just a Kestrel for Weather. OR
  • A LRF Bino with a basic computer and a Kestrel with AB to do the weather and math.
Also trying to decide between the 5700 Elite and X. When you have a the Bino's with the Kestrel, do they still take advantage of the added benefits.

I'm currently considering the Kilo10K's with a regular weather meter with Link.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I have been trying to play with and really determine what is the most appropriate route for function and cost.

If I have binoculars such as the Geovid Pro's, is it worth it to pay the $150 to unlock Elite if I have a Kestrel with Elite?

If I have LRF Bino's with Elite, do I need a kestrel with Elite, or can I use the weather on the Kestrel, and Elite computer in the LRF Bino's.

It seems kind of redundant to have 2 separate computers that have AB Elite installed, vs
  • Having a LRF Bino with AB Elite to do the math and just a Kestrel for Weather. OR
  • A LRF Bino with a basic computer and a Kestrel with AB to do the weather and math.
Also trying to decide between the 5700 Elite and X. When you have a the Bino's with the Kestrel, do they still take advantage of the added benefits.

I'm currently considering the Kilo10K's with a regular weather meter with Link.
I had my Kestrel long before I bought RF binos. The kestrel is invaluable imo. You can’t measure wind speed or atmospheric conditions with a rf bino. If you can afford a rf bino you can afford a kestrel. I’m not sure if there are lower end model kestrels that come with Link.

mthayr

WKR
I am a fan of the Kestrel 5700 Elite + rangefinder (w/o upgrade) solution. Here's why: One thing that's not really being talked about here is that most (Leica - not all SIG) rangefinders will transmit range AND DoF (direction of fire). This means the solution the kestrel calculates (from the AB library) will include whatever percentage of wind value based on the wind direction vs. the direction of fire. This saves time and calculation, and IMO is a the value of using a Kestrel as the vehicle for getting AB CDM profiles (versus paying to upgrade your CRF/RFB).

Regarding the 5700 elite vs. the 5700X, there are 3 differences:
1.) The processor is faster - this will realistically only come into play if you are regularly using it to calculate solutions over 1000yds, which is where that processing power will become more noticeable. Sub-1000yds you're talking less than a second's difference.
2.) The 5700X is "Berry" compliant - 100% USA parts and manufacturing
3.) The 5700X can dial down the power of its bluetooth radio - the reason for this is operators in an unfriendly environment not giving away thier position unnecessarily (probably doesn't apply to you or you wouild have said Kestrel "issued" to you)

If any (or all) of those make a difference to you, pay extra for the "X", otherwise the Elite will work just fine.

mthayr

WKR

mthayr

WKR
You can’t measure wind speed or atmospheric conditions with a rf bino.
You can measure environmentals with many of the latest CRF/RFB as they have those sensors now, but you still have to manually measure and then calculate the wind direction v. DoF - again, that integration and feedback into the display of the range finding device, paired with the elevation correction, is where the marriage of the two really shines.

Last edited:

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
You can measure environmentals with many of the latest CRF/RFB as they have those sensors now, but you still have to manually measure and then calculate the wind direction v. DoF - again, that integration and feedback into the display of the range finding device, paired with the elevation correction, is where the marriage of the two really shines.
I appreciate you taking all of the time to provide the responses you have. I like these details and they are sometimes hard to find.

Currently in hand I'm running the Geovid Pro's with Kestrel X. Just been debating if I should pay to upgrade the Geovids for while hunting. If I dont have time to pop the Kestrel out.

mthayr

WKR
Just been debating if I should pay to upgrade the Geovids for while hunting. If I dont have time to pop the Kestrel out.
If you have the money, it might be... those would typically be shots at closer range (since you don't have time to get a wind reading) and will be more within the tolerance of "Kentucky Windage". I'm just cheap and don't want to pay twice for the AB CDM library.

Its worth noting though that as long as you have the Leicas and the Kestrel paired and on (even if you keep it in you bino pack or backpack), the latter will still give you the elevation correction for the gun profile you created in the kestrel app (which should match the solution you would get from the upgraded Leica app)... just ignore the wind correction. As with all things, YMMV.