Kenetrek boots?

reedjj

FNG
Destroyed my heels, looking for a replacement now. I broke them in thouroughly before hitting the mountains and still destroyed my heels.

westside elkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have had my kenetreks for awhile now and put on alot of miles. This year i started having a issue with my right boot. My little toe ends up pushed into my other toes and creates a hot spot. Not sure if it is the way I tie them or something else. Has anyone had that issue or is it just me?

Bughalli

WKR
I had similar issues with the heel. They felt great on flat to moderate terrain, but destroyed my heals on really steep terrain. I was committed to breaking them in, starting with mile or so before the heels started killing me. Eventually I got up to 6-7 miles before they started giving me problems. I played with different sock combinations and still have some issues, but its better. After 60+ miles I still have issues, but its only after multiple days of use. So now i use a couple pairs and alternate boots to keep them dry. Plus each boot seems to have different hot spots. My other pair is Asolo. They have served me well in the past. Hopefully they will continue to break in. I can't afford to try different boots to only ditch them. Jury is still out for me, but if I was leaving tomorrow for a multiday backcountry hunt tomorrow I wouldn't take them.

I just want to say that this thread is only a small indicator of why I like RokSlide. I'd read several opinions all praising the Kenetreks on other hunting forums before buying a pair 7-8 months ago and really couldn't believe how much they tore my feet up on steep rugged terrain. This is one of the few sights where user reviews are similar to the type of uses I'll be putting gear through and that makes all the difference! Just a small but hugely important thing about the forum...

Mike

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
Happy I found this thread too. After chasing elk for about 14 days this past archery season, I quickly realized how much my wolverine's sucked.

As a backup, I had to wear my keens, to prevent blisters. Those got tore up as well.

So I started researching boots and tried on a bunch at my local shops here in Northern CO.

I loved the Kenetrek Hardscrabbles and NI extremes. They felt perfect. But, the heel felt like it was slipping in both of them. Other than that, they felt great.

I tried lowa's and Zamberlans and liked the Zamberlan Sellas and Steeps but I'm still researching as the season is far off.

Heard a lot of great things about the Crispi Hunters and Idahos but no one has them locally to try on.

I heard changing the footbed can help with the heel slipping. Not sure if you tried that.

- Rudy

Rudy,
If your heel slipped in the kenetreks try the HanWags... I'll never buy another brand they are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn including my custom made Hawthorne smokejumpers by Whites.

Mike

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks HellsCanyon! I've looked at those too, online. They sure do look great and have a ton of good feedback.

Since boots are such a personal item as far as feel goes, how do guys overcome buying sight unseen (without trying them on first) ?

That's the tough part for me. I'd love to be able to try them on for fit before I buy.

Thanks again!

I bought 3 pairs of boots over the last year before finding the hanwags. All were sight unseen and going off of feedback online. Since so much depends on foot type (width I think is the main factor here), I tried to get as much feedback as I could about people with narrow feet/heels and what boots worked for them. After selling my kenetreks, I was told that the Asolo's were good for narrow feet, and while they fit great and never gave me a blister, it felt as though the back of my heels were pushed up against a concrete wall. There was no padding there at all and this killed my heels and literally made it tough to stand still on a a steep hill facing uphill... I really wanted to like those boots! The Hanwags I bought as the third pair and believe they will fit a lot of different foot types as long as you get the appropriate width. I got the medium widths I believe and they are a dream to wear. Hope this helps.

Mike

crumy

WKR
Been looking at getting another pair of boots before I "have to" because I figure mine are running short on years.. Was looking at kennetrek. Thank you for the comments. Anybody had luck with Lathrop & Sons or Crispi?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Been looking at getting another pair of boots before I "have to" because I figure mine are running short on years.. Was looking at kennetrek. Thank you for the comments. Anybody had luck with Lathrop & Sons or Crispi?

I went through the full process that Lathrop and Sons offers, and the resulting Hanwag Mountain Lights are the best fitting boots I have ever used. The insoles are the best also. Worth the money.

Slim Jim

WKR

I have the Crispi summit gtx and absolutely love them! I like them so much that I'm debating whether or not to wear them or my insulated Danners on my hunt this week. They are an early season boot though but they are so comfortable and have great ankle support.

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing your experience Mike! It helps a lot! I'll look closer at the Hanwags and call them to see how I can ensure the best fit with their boots, without trying on a pair firsthand.

- Rudy