Keeping wall tent warm throughout the night.

After listening to the old podcast yesterday, Jordan, Robby and Travis were telling stories in the wall tent. Robby was talking about Travis’s pellet stove, and said that is was warm all night long. In my experience's, I’ve spent a few nights in a wall tent with a couple different stoves (Alaskan and a cylinder stove). What I like to do is put a couple of inches of dirt in the stove once camp is set up, get a fire going. Then a bed time throw a big chunk of coal on the fire! I’ve never had a burn through with this type of fire. When on a road camp it’s pretty easy to bring enough coal, when packing in on mules I try and take enough for each evening. Just an idea and hope it helps some folks.

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
We’ve had good success loading the wood stove up at bedtime with wood and one Idaho Energy Log. The energy logs burn much longer than regular firewood. Always wake up to enough coals to stoke the fire when we get up too.

elkliver

WKR
Pellet stoves have a hopper you fill-up. It requires an extension but works very well and runs all night. With a regular wood stove, type of wood, manage the oxygen intake and load wood carefully and fully

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I just invite a guy over 60. They always have to piss in the middle of the night.
Hey, c'mon man. Wait until you're 60, it ain't fun.

But seriously, have you considered one of these cheap diesel heaters? One of my partners uses and swears by them. And I'm hear to to tell you, his tent is warm, all night. I think it's a cheap thing off Amazon.

For some reason I always have to get up and piss like a race horse in the mountains and I'm not 60 yet. I never want to get out of the sleeping bag. I've had cramps before in the middle of the night in the mountains and maybe I hydrate too much trying to avoid that again. There's nothing worse then trying to get a cramp out when you're in a sleeping bag and it's cold.

ChrisA

WKR
I've brought both anthracite and bituminous coal to the mountains. Both do well extending the heat output of a stove loaded with locally available softer woods. Anthracite requires a good hot bed of coals to burn but burns clean, while bituminous burns rather easily but dirtier and will certainly spot up your tent roof or rain fly.

I too drink a ton of water through the day and piss at least twice a night so Ive basically givien up on coal and just reload wood. Just make sure anyone loading the stove at night opens the damned flue before opening the stove door, I was about ready to strangle a dude after his 5th or 6th smoke out.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve used the DuraFlame logs to keep the stove going all night.

Load up with wood and put the log on top.

Had good embers in the morning.

You have to watch for soot / gunk buildup in the stove pipe after a few days though

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I remember my late rifle season days......we'd have the stove going all night even with coal....it would burn red hot......I'd still wake up with a sheet of ice on top of my sleeping bag. I really hate the cold.

idahodave

WKR
I've done and tried it all....hardwood, coal, unicorn horns...you name it. Without question the pressed energy logs are the way to go. They were $1.05 apiece at local D&B. Burn waaaay longer than regular wood and moderate temperatures beautifully. Used as recently as two days ago....

DaveIMG_6942.jpegIMG_6943.jpeg