Keeping bear meat vs hide only... what do you do?

Do you harvest bear meat, or just the hide and skull?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

280Ackley

WKR
My son’s first bear literally had worms/parasites crawling through the meat as we were processing it. That one stayed on the mountain. After his bear I’ve shot one with my bow and left the meat also. I’ve had an internal struggle since then about even bear hunting anymore. I don’t need or want anymore hides or skulls but I don’t feel right leaving the meat in the woods. Anyone else seen parasites in the meat before?

MDR

FNG
I have enough black bear hides kicking around. I take the meat and skull only now. Regulations recently changed where you can leave the hide in the bush as long as you take the meat. Bear makes for great smoked ham.

Next grizz, I will take both hide and meat. Not too many salmon bears where I am.

Curhunter

FNG
My son’s first bear literally had worms/parasites crawling through the meat as we were processing it. That one stayed on the mountain. After his bear I’ve shot one with my bow and left the meat also. I’ve had an internal struggle since then about even bear hunting anymore. I don’t need or want anymore hides or skulls but I don’t feel right leaving the meat in the woods. Anyone else seen parasites in the meat before?
I haven't seen this in years yet. About 15 years ago I shot a whitetail doe. It was gutted immediately then left to be picked up later. When picking it there were worms crawling out all over as it cooled. In many years and many deer this has only happened once.
I inspect every animal I harvest and know it can with anything. Black bear is probably my favorite wild game, much better than deer in my opinion.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
There are lots of bears and I will only judge you for not taking the meat if you break the law. If you do take the meat, I suggest pressure canning in glass jars. You can be confident this process will kill Trichinella and the canned meat is excellent for tacos.

When I checked my bear in Colorado the warden wanted to look at the meat. I just assumed it was required to be brough out of the woods. Maybe he was just curious?

BBob

WKR
When I checked my bear in Colorado the warden wanted to look at the meat. I just assumed it was required to be brough out of the woods. Maybe he was just curious?
Probably just fishing to see if you did indeed bring it out. Nothing in the mandatory reporting regs says it’s to be inspected.

DWinVA

WKR
Head and hide are of least concern to me. My family eats and loves Black Bear meat. Here in VA there really isn't that much eatable meat on a bear. The head, hide, fat and heavier bone structure still surprises me on the amount of meat I get versus a nice size Whitetail.

God Bless.

KHNC

WKR
Rare that anyone keeps the meat in Saskatchewan Spring bear camps.

gbflyer

WKR

Yep. Here the brown ones are frequently seen trailing a 8ft tape worm. The black ones are pawing through burn barrels eating diapers and trash bags that are still on fire. I don’t shoot them, and I pass on the bear chili every time.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my first year hunting bear... spring AND fall most likely... and if I'm lucky enough to get one, I'm curious as to harvesting the meat as well, or just taking the hide/skull/etc? I'll be hunting Utah where taking the meat is not required. Just kind of curious what "most" people do. If I did take the meat I would likely donate most of it, I can't imagine eating that much of it in my own circle. Grateful for any input. Thanks!
I target bears specifically for the meat, and you should too. Its delicious.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on where you live and what the bears ate. Bears are often nasty, parasite ridden, and sick.

If they have access to fish, trash, or similar…pass.

Either way, to kill the tapeworm and trig…you have to cook it well and freezing for a few weeks helps.

depends on time of year and what the bear has been eating. Spring bear eating grass and berries? Take the meat. Fall bear? Not likely. I have no issue treating them like a coyote and doing my part to help the deer and elk population.

JohnB

WKR
depends on time of year and what the bear has been eating. Spring bear eating grass and berries? Take the meat. Fall bear? Not likely. I have no issue treating them like a coyote and doing my part to help the deer and elk population.
Man you are missing out. I'm sure it depends on where you are hunting but bears are very frequently eating some amount of berries all the way into October. I've only killed bears in the fall but so far I'm 100% on taking the delicious meat and 0% on taking hides home.

Man you are missing out. I'm sure it depends on where you are hunting but bears are very frequently eating some amount of berries all the way into October. I've only killed bears in the fall but so far I'm 100% on taking the delicious meat and 0% on taking hides home.
What state are you hunting in?

Meat is DELICIOUS
aa55c7b337ea06e48c7437cfc4932bbe.jpg

f7f052075a756caaf324c7fcf03acc03.jpg

ca062d38ac1e99f9c0aa0e44ccacd9c8.jpg

7ec69618e0c47ea4a44b3cf217111ae3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bpeay4

Lil-Rokslider
Bear meat often gets a bad rap. The guys who say its gross are often the same guys who incidentally kill one while deer hunting, load it into their pickups whole and take a few victory laps around town to show it off before skinning and gutting it hours later. Its no surprise that the bear meat they're left with isn't exactly tasty.

Those who like bear meat know it as a delicacy and treat it as such. Gutting it and skinning it as quick as possible.

This will be my first year hunting bear... spring AND fall most likely... and if I'm lucky enough to get one, I'm curious as to harvesting the meat as well, or just taking the hide/skull/etc? I'll be hunting Utah where taking the meat is not required. Just kind of curious what "most" people do. If I did take the meat I would likely donate most of it, I can't imagine eating that much of it in my own circle. Grateful for any input. Thanks!
I usually leave the hide, but the meat is why I’m there. Bear is excellent, never had someone eat bear I’ve killed and not been surprised how good it was

Canned bear meat is incredible, roasts, grind (usually grind it 3 times)

I don’t like bear steaks much because you have to cook it well done, but canned or roasts they are better than anything else

Head and hide are of least concern to me. My family eats and loves Black Bear meat. Here in VA there really isn't that much eatable meat on a bear. The head, hide, fat and heavier bone structure still surprises me on the amount of meat I get versus a nice size Whitetail.

God Bless.
Have you ever killed an old boar? Small-medium bear have low recovery (meat vs live weight) but a big boar has really good recovery. If you take a 150# bear and a 300# bear, you won’t get twice the meat, it will be like 3-4x the meat. That’s one reason I don’t like killing bears unless they are big… first, I like hunting bear more than killing bear

Second, a BIG bear won’t be a sow (big deal to me in the spring)

Third, big bear have way more meat in general, and percentage recovery