Kavik Air / Blue River awareness

Merc

FNG
I don’t think it’s an issue of someone doesn’t belong somewhere. I read a good article yesterday about how these companies ultimately put the call in the pilot’s hands, but a pilot’s decision (especially a young pilot) is obviously largely influenced by company culture and front office pressure. A lot of these accidents do have a common theme; and that is they seem to happen to the same companies that notoriously seem to be overbooked. This September had horrible weather. Everyone got behind at some point. Some operations WAY more than others. The pilot makes the call, but when people in the office are going on about being behind, clients are waiting in the hangar/field for days, meat is rotting, the notorious bush pilot one liners are being repeated, etc; I’d imagine a young pilot feels the pressure. It seems we’re quickly heading a point where the FAA and Big Game Commercial Services Board are going to get involved. There was another plane that hit the tundra last week that killed 4. Same operator that has a fatal every 18 months or so.

RIP to the young lady. Horrible, horrible stuff.

What you describe is not the way that they operated and yes sadly I flew with them and even reviewed them here. Yet it is 100% in the pilots hands what they choose to fly especially with the technology and reporting we have today.

And as for the St. Mary crash, that wasn’t a revenue flight, let alone the “old Yute”.

I don’t think it’s fair to put this as a shot at Larry’s character. Blue river/Kavik has went from where their base is to FAI, ome, otz and god knows where else in one year. You can’t send a bunch of new pilots I’m every which way into new country with a bunch of over bookings and expect it to end well.
Condolences to her and her family. She may have been a great pilot and freak shit happens- it’s the name of the industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk