Kauai scouting report

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
I know the topic of DIY hunting Hawaii is discussed somewhat commonly so I thought I’d share my experience. Two months ago I got camping permits for the Kalalau valley. My wife and I went last week and camped 1 night. The place is infested w goats. I’d say we saw close to 70. The closer we got to the valley the more we saw. We started seeing them at mile 6 and the a ton as we entered into the valley itself. We saw a LOT of wild boar sign (as in acres of land cumulatively tilled up) but I didn’t see an actual pig. The goats seemed to be rutting. They weren’t very spooky at all. The billies were on the flats chasing nannies. I’m not a bow hunter so I didn’t hunt. It would’ve been cool to take a young tender one and have some camp meat. We also saw several game birds. This hunt is totally doable for a strong DIY hunter. It could theoretically be done in one monster day, but better would be to camp 6 miles in at Hanakoa falls and then day hunt from there. Camping at the Valley would also be good. As far as meat preservation, the streams are 66 degrees which would prob be OK. The goats really aren’t that big and boning them out would be easy. Bucket list hike and experience for sure!16B5B9A9-98EB-4367-8E17-23A92372F6D5.jpeg0FCA86EA-BAF4-4AD8-B5EE-3C4F6F0E5100.jpeg

Nice. I am from kauai and that is a great hunt to do. the more you get off the trail the more and larger animals you will see.

Bumping this thread but if I was you, I would not camp at the falls. Very very wet and could flood out VERY quickly depending on time of year.
If I was you, I would get to Kalalau Valley and setup your camp, then back track to wack some goats. Use a topo map to find flat areas far off the trail. Waimea Canyon might be slightly better for hunting, but thats just my opinion

Last edited: