Kansas?

Anyone here spent much time in Manhattan? There's a possibility that we might be re-locating there in a year or so and I was just curious what the area is like. Birds(upland/waterfowl/turkeys), deer, fishing, etc? Thanks.

Manhattan is a very nice area, rolling hills and much more topography than where I lived south of there.... Kansas was a great place to live and I thought it was heaven, then I moved west.

If you like deer hunting, turkey hunting, fishing and great people... You'll love KS. There is a lot more to do, with some driving involved but you will have those three things near you (if you can find land to hunt on).

colonel00

WKR
What is bringing you to Manhattan? As Nick mentions, there is a bit to do. Plenty of public land for waterfowl and some good opportunities for deer and turkey. It's definitely within driving distance of a lot of stuff. The biggest challenge is gaining access to land but Kansas does have a pretty good Walk-In Hunting program.

Fixitman

Lil-Rokslider
I live an hour and a half east of there. Pretty much your tipical college town. Nice thing is your not far from good whitetail or mule deer hunting. Lots of walk in areas and once you get to know a few people you could get on some private ground. PM me if you decide to move and I'll see what I can do to help you out. Good luck!!

OP
quackaddict
Thanks guys. I think that it sounds like a pretty nice place.

Colonel00, she's an AnSci professor and is looking at applying for a job at K-State.

Beendare

WKR
Jamie, A buddy of mines daughter played basketball for K state. If you go let me know and I will get you in contact with them.

My take; less mtns...about the only negative.......but everything else is a plus

OP
quackaddict
Looks like it's not that far from the Mark Twain either, which has some pretty good hunting for Easterns. I've got some really good friends with land over in Kirksville too.

How far are you from decent pheasant numbers in Manhattan?

Thanks Bruce. I'll definitely let you know. There definitely seems to be lots of +'s over Las Cruces.

colonel00

WKR
It's been a few years since I have chased pheasants but you can hopefully find some close by. Again, land access will be the biggest trick. Usually, we hunt way out in Western Kansas and have good success but this is almost solely on private farm land.

Roy68

WKR
If you want to talk in depth about Manhattan and the surrounding area PM me and we can talk over the phone. I would be glad to help you out. Go Cats!

OP
quackaddict
I'm guessig the public land gets hit pretty hard?

Roy, I'll shoot you a PM this evening sometime. Thanks again everyone.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was stationed at fort Riley for a few years. Kansas people were nice and allowed us access plenty of times after the opening week.Plenty of pheasant hunting within a couple hours. State has a bunch of walking in and Crp managed lands. Been awhile but only recall trout fishing being fairly limited.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
I lived there for 5 years during college and after. I will agree with the posts above in the fact that there is good opportunities for waterfowl, turkeys, whitetail (huge), coyotes, and fishing. You have lots of walk-in options, mainly if you go north about 45 minutes and west around milford lake. Just get the free book of WHA maps and take off. In time you will meet good people that will help you along the way. Get away from town about an hour and you will have more luck getting permission. Manhattan is growing like mad, I really enjoyed my time there and how easy it was to get out of town and into the wild to fish, hunt, camp, or just cruise. Manhattan has lots of public land around for recreation for Kansas, which is mostly private.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
They do stalk trout in a few areas, and they are pretty easy to catch and something to do in the winter time. Also plenty of fishing on different rivers and several lakes. My favorite was chasing wipers at Milford, about 35 minutes away. As far as fishing goes you can pick your poison....anywhere from catching small crappie in city ponds to cat fishing rivers or chasing anything else on big reservoirs.

There is some great hunting in Kansas and if you do your homework you will be in heaven.

attachment.php

jmez

WKR
I went to Vet school there and grew up in SE Nebraska about an hour and a half from there. I would move back in a second. When i was there, mid 90's, the bird hunting was phenomenal. I think it has slipped considerably since then. You'll have to look pretty hard to find pheasants and the quail are gone. At that time gaining permission was easy, I'm guessing if you knock on some doors you will find places. Head up toward Franklin, a lot of deer and turkey with good areas to bowhunt. Small farming community with good people.

Waterfowl hunting is exceptional both on lakes and rivers. Fishing is excellent with or without a boat. Flint Hills are really pretty. Great deer and turkey hunting. It is an outdoorsman's paradise. Small town rural feel and with a Div I school which is great if you enjoy sports.

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
I relocated from CA to NE and was very encouraged by the responses of people on another forum regarding potential opportunities. Well, to say I have been disappointed would be an understatement. Coming from a western state with millions of acres of public land to a plains state with limited public access (The two wilderness areas I hunted in CA were nearly as large as all the public land in the state of NE). I'm not sure how varied your outdoor recreation hobbies are?....the plains/Midwestern states are loved by some but once you've fallen in love with the mountains no amount of whitetail hunting can fill that void.

I don't mean to belittle anyone's love for their state but thought I would provide some feedback from an opposing view.