Kansas Mule Deer

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Well just called and found out I drew my non resident KS muzzle loader mule deer tag. I know it's not quite the backcountry hunt most of you guys are accustomed to, but I am pretty excited right now. This will be my first ever out of state hunt on public land. I have a buddy that will be hunting with me who is a resident. He will have a muley mzl tag as well. Scouting trip will be in late august to check out the spots we intend to spend out time, and see if I can get some glass on anything tag worthy before the hunt starts. I have seen the potential. Hopefully I can make good on a pretty difficult to draw tag!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great on getting the tag! With your August scout trip planned, you guys are on the right path. Not all the big deer live in the backcountry.

Keep us posted and we'd love to see your muzzleloader setup here or over on the muzz thread. If you need help with your gun and setup, let us know. Sabotloader posts on the muzz thread and is about as knowledgable as I've seen.

God bless your hunt.

OP
O

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Well right now I have a remington 700 ml 50 cal. I haven't hunted with it in a very very long time. I need to update it to use 209 primers and all that good stuff. I am very strongly considering ordering a new barrel and breech plug to convert it over to a smokeless .45 cal muzzleloader and shoot sabotless full bore bullets. If I decide to go that route, I will make sure to make a thread on it over in the muzz section.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely convert to the 209's. You might consider PRbullet.com Variflame as it allows you to shoot large rifle primers in a 209 gun. 209's aren't as accurate as they have too much ignition power and can unseat the bullet.
If Kansas allows smokeless 45 cal, man I'd be tempted for that recipe.
If you change barrels, make sure you call Cecil at PR bullet and find out twist, etc. I wouldn't go sabot-less unless law required it. He can shoot you straight.
1 877 828 5538. Tell him Robby from Rokslide sent you. He's helped me a lot in the past. Can be hard to reach, but well worth it when you do.

OP
O

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Well since I have such good phone signal up here, which was a total surprise to me, I figured I would try and put updates on here like a live hunt. For some reason my photobucket app is no longer working properly and I can't figure out how to post pictures without it. So pics will have to come later.

My partner and I got here Friday evening with just enough time to get the camper set up before dark. Due to a little time change error, we made it out a about an hour after first light yesterday morning. Neither of us were able to make a scouting trip, so today was really going to be used as a scouting day anyway to familiarize ourselves with the terrain and which pieces of public we wanted to focus on to start with. We were pleasantly surprised by some of the terrain and were feeling good right off the bat. The second place we stopped, we quickly started locating some deer. A couple of doe groups and then 2 bucks together. The younger of the two bucks has great genetic with a decent 4x4 frame, with an inline 5th in his back left fork, and brow tines. Probably 20-22" wide. Got some pics of him through the spotter I will post later. The older buck was a very disappointing 3x3.
p71p.jpg

zfr9.jpg

We spent the rest of the morning looking at different pieces of walk in land, and even did a hunt down a couple draws that feed down to the river whee there is lots of alfalfa and corn. No deer were seen in either draw. Somewhat surprised. We made a beak for lunch and took some naps. In the evening we looked at a lot of the same ground and saw lots of does, and the two bucks from that morning again. We also found a bachelor group of 4 bucks on some private close to walk in that had another decent 4x4, and a really old buck with a heavy 4x4 frame. He was not what we thought to be a shooter other than age. His fronts were small crab claws and his back left g2 was broken off at the split already. We ended the evening seeing a few more does and small bucks coming out of corn fields. I was warned about the corn holding most o the deer while it is still standing, and that seems to be true so far.

This morning we got up early and made it out before daylight, and were in a good glassing vantage point as the sun came up. We spotted a few does and no bucks. Moved places and wound up 100 yards from a bachelor group of bucks. One mature deer with a whitetail style 3x3 frame and 3 small bucks. Shortly after we moved again and talked to a farmer on the road. He told us somebody killed a 32" 10 by 11 on Friday with a bow on some of the Public ground in the area. This jut re assured us we haven't seen any top end bucks for the area yet.

At camp now about to grill up some backstrap for lunch. Probably some naps again, haha, and then out for the afternoon/evening. Not sure what the plan is yet.

Last edited:
I agree with Evan, knock on some doors. Kansas ranchers are some of the nicest, especially out west. Likely you could scoop up some decent private ground with little more than a handshake. Best of luck, there are some good bucks out there!

OP
O

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Almost entirely corn. We were hoping for milo so we could at least see them when they stood up.

It got up to 90 today and the wind is gusting 30+. Haven't seen much movement yet.

OP
O

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Saw a new bachelor group of bucks tonight. One possible shooter. It was too dark to make out characteristics in the spotting scope, other than it looked like he had the biggest frame we have seen yet. No idea about points. He left a patch of corn that butts up to public, and headed south across the public. We are going to be there before first lite and hopefully see him going back into the corn. Winds are supposed to switch to west/northwest tomorrow afternoon which would give us a good ambush opportunity if they do something similar to tonight.

OP
O

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Today's update... Windy!!! The wind blew all day long today. We went back to the corn patch at very first light and the deer were already making their way into the corn. I spotted two mature bucks entering at different spots. One looked borderline and the other a shooter even though we couldn't make out much more than frames. The wind was forecasted to switch from the south to west/northwest. Perfect to sneak in and ambush the bucks when they come out in the evening.

We left the corn and headed for a secluded drainage in the middle of a big section of walk in. We spent a couple hours moving slowly from glassing point to point. We turned up some does and a small buck. Lots of fresh deer sign in there though. Noted! After that excursion we were headed from the walk in ground to a piece of public several miles away. About half way there we pass a buck standing up feeding in a grassy bottom just off the road. It is about 11 am now. We back up and look him over, a solid shooter for sure. Only problem is he is on private ground. Sucker just stood there at 101 yards and looked at us. We headed to the house just down the road and across from the buck. Nobody home. Google the name from the mailbox and come up with a cell number. Call, no answer, leave a message and pray! We headed further down the road and got the spotting scopes out to really study the buck. Got some good pics I will post later. Roughly 22-24" 4x4 with deep back forks, good mass, and really good fronts. We watched this buck for an hour and a half. He finally feed up the draw and over the top into a big canyon. Headed to town for lunch.
hsx2.jpg

fiua.jpg

For the afternoon we hit the local taxidermists place and checked out a few of the bucks he had taken in so far this year. One was a 218" killed by a youth hunter. First deer ever! We then went and checked out some more walk in before heading to the ambush spots. We were able to cover the south and east sides with the available cover and wind. I had one of the two possible shooters come out and walked by at 89 yards. He is not a shooter rack wise, but is a mature deer. Possible for later in the week. Got a good picture of him bedded on the edge of the corn in the wheat stubble after he first showed himself at about 300 yards. No deer on the east side for my partner, but we kind of expected that after watching all the deer head south the night before. A group of three bucks came out about 15 minutes before last light and headed north deeper into private ground. Two small bucks and a shooter. It was low light and feeding in corn stubble and wheat stubble, so it was really tough to make everything out. Big 4x4 frame and looks like maybe double forks on the right side. Also had some dried velvet on his right g2.
w59v.jpg

Seeing lots of good bucks, just need to make it happen somehow. Got a call back on the private and was given the names of the property owners. Put in calls to them and heard back from one who left me a message to call his son in law. Didn't get that until late this evening and didn't want to bother him. Will call tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
OP
O

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Yesterday was a pretty good day. Picked up a couple of sections of private from three different land owners. The deer bedded right after first light yesterday. We spent the day sneeking around and glassing all the shady spots and found lots of deer. No shooters though. So I went back to my ambush spot where we have been seeing the deer leaving the corn. While I was sitting there, a spray rig came and started spraying along the north side of the corn on the private ground. Well at least I know the bucks weren't going to head north tonight. My partner had decided to sit in the truck and watch from a distance hoping to get a good look at the shooter finally. About 20 minutes before legal shooting time, I could see my buddy signaling me the deer had come out of the east side and were heading to the south and east. I grabbed what stuff I needed and took off. I ended up making a 600 yard run through the crp to get in position. Finally got set up and could see the big buck was in the lead. I checked the time and had a little over two minutes of legal light left. Ranged him, got steady on the sticks and let it fly. Felt good about the shot, but the deer did not act hit at all. He trotted a little ways off and then walked away slowly with a couple other bucks in tow. At this point I did not have enough time to reload and shoot again and be legal. I left some flagging tape where I shot from and got a good mark on where the deer was standing based in the range and orientation of the buck next to a piece of brush in the crp.

We went back this morning and looked for two hours and never found blood hair or anything. We walked every terrace in the crp for several hundred yards before it turned to nothing but freshly plowed and drilled wheat ground for over a mile in every direction. Satisfied with our efforts we concluded a clean miss and I will be hunting again this afternoon.

On a more exciting note, we went to check a piece of private before we went to look for my buck at first lite. This should have given the other bucks plenty of time to make it back into the corn where I have been hunting. Well my partner shot a good buck at the spot we went to check. We saw his buck and a big 3x3 working there way down a cedar tree windbreak and were able to cut them off. I will post pictures of his buck as soon as I get home. He is a heavy 4x4 with two cheaters on both sides and some cool bladed points!
tyva.jpg

k1ot.jpg

cp9.JPG

Last edited:
OP
O

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Last update of the trip here. After taking care of my buddies buck yesterday, we made it back out around 4 pm. We went back to the area my buddie killed first thing that morning. On the way there we noticed somebody had taken up residence on the walk in where I have been trying to ambush the big buck and missed him Tuesday evening. We had seen one other really nice buck about a quarter mile from where my buddy killed his. I talked about him earlier. We have been looking for him every day since then with no luck. This day was no different and with about 15 minutes of light left we made a mad dash to glass the ambush spot from a distance so as not to interfere with the hunter there, and hopefully see if the big buck was indeed just fine as we had suspected. There were deer everywhere over there! While glassing the different groups we heard the other hunter shoot and watched 5 deer run right by the tree I have been sitting at. We waited until legal shooting time was over and went to see if the guy had gotten a buck. When we got around there he wasn't at his truck, so we drove on. He was still sitting on the edge of the corn about 20 yards off the road with the sw wind blowing directly into the corn.

This morning we got up and went to the corn patch to see if we could lay eyes on the big buck again and possibly bed him. The other guys truck was already there, so we moved to a hill top about 3/4 mile away to glass from. We had only been there a few minutes when we laid eyes on the big buck and four others. The good part is he was alive and doing well, so I had indeed completely missed. That was a big relief to me. The bad part is he and those other bucks had just gotten blown out by the other hunter and were about two miles west of the corn in the middle of a bunch of private ground we had already been told no on. We were planning on leaving after tomorrow mornings hunt, so at this point I knew I would not get any redemption on the big boy. We headed over to he private we had permission on that my buddy killed on to look for the other big 4x4 we had seen there or the big 3x3 that was with his buck. We glassed from a distance for a while, and then took about a 3 mile round trip walk to check all the draws we were not able to glass up. We didn't see a single deer.

At lunch we ran a few errands and went to the local taxidermist's place. He had finished capping out the head of my buddies buck and frozen the cape for us. All for a nominal fee of course. Knowing that the deer I have been hunting all week, or any of the other bucks he was with would be coming out of the corn tonight. And the fact that the private ground seemed to be completely void of deer now for some reason, even though we never really intruded. I had to decide what I wanted to do. I told my buddy that I would shoot any decent buck we could find. We started making the rounds. Of course we found the very first buck we had seen on the trip. I had said early in the hunt I would kill him before I left eating my 3rd muley tag in a row. He was feeding in a wheat stumble with his 3x3 buddy he was with everytine we have seen him. I was able to make a stalk down the fence line and put a nice double lung shot on the buck. He ran about 50 yards and expired. I had finally filled my first mule deer tag and I was happy about it.
ktev.jpg

k6uh.jpg

Overall we had a great trip. We saw way more deer than we originally expected and much better deer. I had an opportunity to kill a really nice deer that I didn't make good on, but I was thrilled just to have had the chance. I ended up killing my first muley and my buddy killed his biggest. Not much more we could have asked for. I will have all the pictures up tomorrow night.

Last edited: