Kansas Mid November Clothing Setup

Hey guys, I have my first whitetail November rut hunt in Kansas this year and wanted to have my clothing system critiqued. I will be hunting 11/18 through 11/24.

Base Layer: Sitka Lightweight Core
2nd Base Layer: First Lite Furnace
Mid Layer: Kuiu Peloton 240
Insulation Layer: Kuiu Kenai Jacket
Outer layer: Sitka Stratus Jacket

Bottom
Base Layer: Smartwool Merino 200 pants
2nd Base: First Lite Furnace
Outer Layer: Sitka Stratus pants

boots: Lacrosse Alphaburly 1600 gram
Socks: taking suggestions

hat: Sitka Stratus Beanie
Face mask: Kuiu Balaclava

thanks for the input

bat-cave

WKR
My .02 is that you night get lucky and have enough layers, but I would suggest adding some warmer layers as well. Last year for example in the first week of Nov I had 6 straights days of snow and sub zero temps, the same was the case two years earlier and a week earlier. Both years had at a day of warm/hot weather and then bitter cold, so prepare for potentially big swings in temps / snow.

Peloton 240 is not an insulation piece but is great for blocking the wind.

Drop the Kenai and get a down jacket. Do the same for your legs.

I wore those boots this past December in KS and meet have never been colder. The boots don’t breathe so eventually your socks get wet. Better off with regular boots and boot warmers.

bat-cave

WKR
To AZ_Hunter_2000's point ... I have gotten very cold in Alphaburly 1600's. What I learned is that dress way down for the approach, including socks. Then change into your warmer socks at the base of the tree so that you begin dry. Sucks in the snow etc ..., but made a big difference. I would prefer to stick with rubber boots for the walk in from a scent control perspective as well as past experience crossing streams etc ... rubber boots are awesome for Whitetail season, but changing socks was a game changer tip for me.

*zap*

WKR
Fanatic jacket and bibs....

Set of light base layer, I recommend Peloton 97.

Insulation mid layer zip off for bottom and a heavier mid layer for top.

Uncomphagre jacket and pant....

Light non gortex boots (not rubber), a very good pair of boot blankets and I use trail runners to walk in an awful lot...

Light synthetic socks and mid weight and heavy weight merino socks.

Peloton 97 beanie, heavy beanie and heavy balaclava.....good mid weight neck gaiter, tall leg gaiter and a few pair of good light/midweight gloves. Good set of rainwear, jacket, pant and hat....

Mid weight pant's probably 2 pair......attacks, pros, mtn pant, timberlines.....or something along those lines....

That should cover pretty much anything nature throws at you.

Prepare for the worst.
Could be 85 and sunny or 0 and blowing 40.
I've seen both at that time of year.
For extreme cold, add boot blankets heavy bibs and a super warm hat.
A hand muff and a box of chemical hand warmers are invaluable.
Make sure to have lots of layers. That time of year sees biggest daily temperature changes. Could be 20 at daybreak and 60 at 2 pm.

OP
C
What do you guys think about rubber boots versus regular hiking style hunting boot with insulation? I’m worried about rubber boot feet sweat.

STL

FNG
What do you guys think about rubber boots versus regular hiking style hunting boot with insulation? I’m worried about rubber boot feet sweat.
I’ve come to accept that my feet sweat too much in insulated boots when moving. Depending on conditions, I use a combo of good wicking liner sock, darn tough merino sock, uninsulated leather boots, and sized up arctic shield boot covers. I change out socks if needed, loosen the laces, and add a hand warmer to the boot covers if it’s really cold.

go_deep

WKR
Wool socks made from 70% or more wool. Smartwool socks have been very good to me.

Zappaman

WKR
Living in (Eastern Flint Hills) Kansas and hunting 4 months out of the year bow through January rifle (deer) I'd go with leather boots (lined, insulated) up to late December and wear 100% wool (in any boot any time of year). Novembers are usually tame and we don't get into the 20 degree and below stuff until around Mid-December... usually.

IF you are hunting in lowland, then the LaCrossse boots can work with streams to cross (but most likely get hot with 1600) unless you are walking a few hundred yards and stand hunting. But they will SWEAT when you pull the deer out where a good pair of breathable boots will hold fine through anything but the wettest swampy areas (and we have them for sure). So I'd check my hunt map and see what you have to deal with. And change boots between the kill and recovery- you have time after the deer is down.

With that said, I typically wear my short Danner (400) boots until it really gets cold (or rains like hell). Then I'll still often take my tall Miendl (600) pair if I don't have too many rivers to cross but it's wet out. The "tall grass" will soak out a cheap pair of boots fast.

I break out my LaCrosse Alphas (also 1600) when I hunt ducks and Geese (in sub 20's) and am walking in water more than on dry land. And when it goes below 0 (and it does in Jan/Feb late goose season), I add electric socks (over thin wool liners) for the tree stand, or when pass shooting over fields. They did great last Feb 14th when we were -14 (with a -25 wind chill- back when Texas Electric shut down). Turn them off when trekking, then back on when in the stand. Better electric socks run fine on LOW for the entire day. I have two pair and a charger if I'm away for a few days ;)

But November (when it's dry out), you can usually use tennis shoes if your walking and stalking ;) Let the terrain map and the 7-day weather report dictate you boots and outer wear. Good luck on your hunt!