Justifying a Kifaru

bsnedeker

WKR
To me, yes. I bought my first Kifaru when I lived in MN. Elk hunting is my favorite thing to do in the world so it was worth the investment to me.

Is it worth it to you? Not my question to answer.

OP
N

Norske

FNG
Awesome thank you. I've been reading so many good things about them but haven't pulled the trigger. I've just been using an osprey Aether 70.

Awesome thank you. I've been reading so many good things about them but haven't pulled the trigger. I've just been using an osprey Aether 70.

You can get by with others for sure but they are very comfortable and make doing a lot of the harder things much easier. 80lbs is still 80lbs...but wearing the right pack (and fitted correctly) will make it hurt in the places its supposed to...not the places its not supposed to if that makes sense.

Additionally, having a good pack often makes you want to get outside and use it more often. When I upgraded to my Kifaru, I found myself asking my wife and kids if they wanted to go backpacking more often as I was simply more inclined to carry all the kids gear (they're only 3 and 5) being that it was going to be comfortable. Simply put, having a nice pack makes me use it a lot more than I realized it would. Other top end packs are great too, but Kifaru is what I settled on.

The Aether will probably be lighter and more comfortable for everything except maybe packing meat. So unless you don't think the Aether is up to the task of packing meat or $800 isn't a big concern to you, I'd say it's not worth it.

hunting1

WKR
I say yes! If you went on a vacation to the beach you would spend more than a Kifaru on drinks, eat, etc. It is expensive but my elk hunt is my big vacation every year. I have never regretted spending the money and would gladly cut out extras to afford (coffee runs, drinking, smoking, eating out, etc.)

Definitely, for me. Whether it’s a Kifaru or other high end pack. Although I bought my first one new, I doubt I’ll do that again. I’ve since realized how with a little patience you can get a used/like new condition set up for a good price off retail while still getting exactly what you want.

jmez

WKR
If you are trying to justify before the purchase then it really doesn't matter. Either way you will find a way to justify the decision.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Reckon he could do that with a 70 liter backpacking/climbing/expedition pack that he already owns too,

Yep, very true. I can only speak from my personal experience, which included training with weight in my “hunting” pack. I had an REI pack for several years, and it was fine for backpacking. I pieced together a used Kifaru setup and found myself excited to use it, test it with more weight (while testing myself).

I would say if you have the funds and want one, buy it and try it. If you don’t like it, they have great resale value so the risk is low.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
A quality backpack makes a big difference. Even if you only use it for 1 big hunt per year, you have it for hiking/backpacking, rucking/training/working out. And it will last you forever.

divingpa

FNG
I suppose I'd first need to know what "worth" it to you means? Obviously by posting this and asking the question, you've been thinking about buying one for some time. You're either not sure your old pack can handle the task, you're unhappy with something about it, or you're just bored with it and want to try a hunting pack that has a large and dedicated following. Here's my 2 cents worth.

-Is the Kifaru setup worth the money it costs and will do what it claims to be able to do. Yes!!!
-Will it magically turn 60 lbs into 40 lbs. Not really. I have found that when I load up my Kifaru the weight is distributed in a way that it doesn't feel like I'm carrying the same amount, at least on my body...it doesn't change how that weight feels on my legs. Their hip belt fits me (and obviously many more hunters/backpackers) in a way that distributes the weight better than any other pack I've ever owned.
-For me there is huge value in the modularity of a Kifaru setup. Yes this is great news for the company, since I have various accessories that I'll swap out based on the need at the time. But it is great news for me also since I don't have to own so many different other complete setups. After buying my Kifaru I got rid of 5 other backpacks.

If you do purchase one, I suspect that you'll end up using it for more than one Elk hunt per year. That may be the main impetuous for the purchase, but if you use a pack at other time of the year, why wouldn't you use your best and most comfortable one. Remember, it is designed as a premium backpack, not an Elk backpack. There are so many people, to include many Special Operation operators that use Kifaru's, and they have no intention of putting an Elk in it.

Good luck on your hunt, no matter what pack you choose to go with.