just thinking bout a diy caribou hunt

bnsafe

WKR
can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start to look at a diy caribou hunt. Ive never even thought these animals were a possibility but the older I get the more the more I want to hunt them.
How much should I be looking at for a diy hunt. I would be interested in guided but imagine that is way more than I want to spend.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Lots info already. Just do some research
Its easy to figure out just need to be motivated.
We killed 2 of 3 tags this year DIY 1st time ever going.

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start to look at a diy caribou hunt. Ive never even thought these animals were a possibility but the older I get the more the more I want to hunt them.
How much should I be looking at for a diy hunt. I would be interested in guided but imagine that is way more than I want to spend.
You could probably search the 800,000 other threads already here..

Bluman001

FNG
I took my daughter on a diy fly in hunt off of the haul road in August. If you are looking to hunt before 2025 it may be tough to book an outfitter. I think most are booked up for 2 years unless you can get lucky on a cancellation. Another option is to bow hunt within the 5 mile corridor of the haul road which is an inexpensive way to do it. You can also make the 5 mile death march off of the haul road to get into legal area to use firearm.
I know there are other options in the state but I am not very familiar with them. You might look at the hunt off of the Steese highway, but it is a madhouse from what I saw.
Feel free to message me if I can offer any help.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Consider hunting a herd/region that allows for multiple harvest tags for your first caribou hunt. Quite often hunters will shoot the first decent bull they get close to and then regret the decision hours or days later when a more impressive bull presents. It's nice to have that option if horns matter.

cminter

FNG
A DIY drop hunt has proven successful for my group in the past. As far as booking, unless you can find a cancelation for 2023 you will probably be looking at 2024 for the earliest.