Just moved to South Central AK

Wrhyne

FNG
Hello Roksliders, I just moved up to Wasilla from Montana. With out having social media in my life and traveling for work I figured it’ll be hard connecting with like minds up in the mat-su valley of AK. So here’s a long shot (thanks Rokslide) I’m a 32 married man with hobbies of climbing, skiing, biking, packrafting, hunting and fishing. I have most the gear except a snow machine and 4-wheeler.
I mostly work all summer and free all winter.

Feel free to reach out if you need a partner for any wilderness activities.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome, ton of cool hunting and non-hunting packrafting to be had around here.

Go stop in 3 Rivers in Wasilla, that's the best fly shop in town and will point you in the right direction for hard water, spinning rod, and fly fishing.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

OP
Wrhyne

Wrhyne

FNG
Howdy. I’m in anchorage. You don’t have your residency yet?
Hello LoggerDan, yep youre right I do not have a my Resident status this year. I am weighing the options of buying a non-resident caribou or deer tag this season. Im traveling back to MT for elk season but I definitely want to get my feet wet on hunting up here. Id like to get a lay of the land so Ill be more prepared for next season.

OP
Wrhyne

Wrhyne

FNG
Welcome, ton of cool hunting and non-hunting packrafting to be had around here.

Go stop in 3 Rivers in Wasilla, that's the best fly shop in town and will point you in the right direction for hard water, spinning rod, and fly fishing.
Thanks 207-12A, Three rivers definitely caught my eye on my first drive into town. I cant wait figuring out new water and bush. Do you packraft the area much? Id love to figure out a fishing/Caribou float hunt.

OP
Wrhyne

Wrhyne

FNG
Does anyone have any good advice for target shooting locations that have LR potential? In Montana I would set up my steel targets on state land and wouldn’t leave a mess. Could I just find some safe state land in the mat-su valley and legally sight rifles/ LR target practice?

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any good advice for target shooting locations that have LR potential? In Montana I would set up my steel targets on state land and wouldn’t leave a mess. Could I just find some safe state land in the mat-su valley and legally sight rifles/ LR target practice?
The range at mile 92 is fantastic and family oriented. Pistols at the Noal Woods sporting range. And a new one by the Butte is nice.

I just moved to the area with the army as well. If anyone is willing to grab a beer and talk shop id be willing to repay your time with any help I can. Once all my stuff gets here from shipping I’ve got basically a full archery pro shop setup so I can help setup and tune your bow or build arrows. Or if you need an extra set of legs to get something out. Really just trying meet some people around the area into the same shit.

State land is generally a safe bet, and you can shoot much further than any ranges I've been to in the Interior. Not to mention much more enjoyable.

A buddy and I shot out to 1,400 yards on Monday, in fact.