John Dudley

TheTone

WKR
I’m also a fan and listen to most of his podcasts. I will say he contributes way more to the archery community than a lot of other “pro staffers” out there

fatlander

WKR
He’s great for archery. He’s probably single handedly done more for archers than anyone else in the past 5 years. But he sells products. That’s his job. He’s found a way to reach archers of any level, no matter what they’re shooting, and help them while still (sort of subtly) pushing his sponsors/brands.

I buy PSE allowing Dud to talk about other competing products, but if you think he’s going to say “xxx” is better than whatever PSE he’s shooting, I’ll sell you some ocean front property.

I’m excited to see what he comes up with. The machining into the riser for a kick stand is awesome! Anyone can make that work with two broken, or cheapo arrows from Walmart. And it’ll work better than the 50+ dollars I spent a few years ago for bow-stix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
Why would people not want to support a guy that helps. Dudley puts out quality info that can move people along in archery and without any cost to us the consumer. It’s free content so does he not need to eat too, I like buying his products if they suit what I do as an archer cause I like seeing people be successful especially when they have a lot to offer me. What’s he’s taught on YouTube would likey be several hundred dollars with an archery coach, so why wouldn’t I show my appreciation when I can and buy my vanes wraps and arrows from him and a release that has helped make me a better shot?

qwerksc

WKR
If Dudley moves to PSE, it will be an awesome move for the archery industry, PSE as well as Mr. Dudley.
From Entry level archers, to expert archers. It's about "Archery" as well as "Hunting"

It suspect it will be a great move for "Archery".
I think we should all find joy in that.
PSE will be funding, free to the public, seminars where Dudley will be sharing his knowledge.

Pete S mentioned clay shooting and it's huge growth, and how he wants to mimic that , in archery, to get young kids on board to help secure archery's future.

Will it help PSE sales sure- is that bad ? No
Will it hep boost NON? Yes- again not bad.
Archery needs a shot in the arm.
The cost of archery products has gone thru the roof as it is mostly folks in their 40's and over, who are a bit more financially set, and can afford to pay for products they think are "magic" and will make them the greatest shooter since Terry Ragsdale.
I like where they have said they want to take archery and I am on board with that.

Dunndm

WKR
Give the "Silverback" a try.

I’ve been shooting a silverback for 3-4 years now... helped my shot tremendously. I was a puncher and suffered from target panic. With the help from dud and this release I shoot comfortably and I like to think very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Again, I didn't see the video. But another poster did, and he already confirmed my assumptions. The icing on the cake is the part where he said that Dudley even EXPLAINED why he was doing it that way. But maybe you were too busy knowing everything to listen to that part.

All he explained in that 1/2 hour show was BH tuning. And while there really is no good reason that I know of to explain why you would shoot the BH arrows "after" the FP arrows, he never attempted to explain it anyway.

However, if ANYONE can provide a good reason as to why shooting FP's first at the target and then BH's is a good idea or better...........I'm all ears. I just can't fathom how or why shooting them in that order would change anything for tuning purposes.

The bottom line is.......there are plenty of people out there to get advice from if you need it. Choose wisely. But as I said earlier, when the first time you see a guy on TV and that guy is shooting BH's at arrows as a teaching method, it's tough to jump in head first to listen to anything else he says. Now had I followed him for years with good advice and then he did something stupid, that's less likely to have such an effect.

Last edited:

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
I think PSE is looking to the future. Actually addressing something that has been overlooked in archery for a long time.

Do you guys have a GREAT pro shop where someone who has no idea how to shoot, OR shoot a hinge OR OR OR. Can get help making a purchase and instruction from someone who knows what they are talking about. OR simply a shop that will set up a guys bow and teach them a couple of things along the way.

I don't...... and for the most part very few archers have a good pro shop.

Archery is one of those things where if your equipment is not set up right and fitting you. You will not hit anything and more than likely you will quit

Everyone buys stuff online, most don't know what to do with it. The NockOn YouTube channel will teach people MORE than any pro shop ever has. A guy can actually become proficient as a shooter and mechanic which is the key to long term success in archery.

Costs are up and sales are down. People demand new technology but really the Archer technology has plateaued. An archery business needs to retain every archer it can, This retention has been THE thing that has kept archery from growing for the 30 years that I have been in the sport.

However, if ANYONE can provide a good reason as to why shooting FP's first at the target and then BH's is a good idea or better...........I'm all ears. I just can't fathom how or why shooting them in that order would change anything for tuning purposes.

If you are unsure of your ability to tune and how much moving your rest might affect your point of impact, shoot a field point first after adjustment Incase you miss the target. Might not be from your adjustment, might be throwing your bow out of the way to see where your arrow went. It's generally a lot cheaper to loose a field point arrow or not ruin a broadhead.

I do agree on shooting broadheads first.

I also think that most would quickly come to that conclusion after shooting a few, however I can see that being a reason to shoot a field point first, make sure you are still on target.

Gobbler36

WKR
All he explained in that 1/2 hour show was BH tuning. And while there really is no good reason that I know of to explain why you would shoot the BH arrows "after" the FP arrows, he never attempted to explain it anyway.

The bottom line is.......there are plenty of people out there to get advice from if you need it. Choose wisely. But as I said earlier, when the first time you see a guy on TV and that guy is shooting BH's at arrows as a teaching method, it's tough to jump in head first to listen to anything else he says. Now had I followed him for years with good advice and then he did something stupid, that's less likely to have such an effect.
Man if that all it takes to discredit someone I wish you good luck in your life. The guy has probably forgotten more archery than you know. Have you shot on the Olympic level yet? Find it humorous that your so hung up on such a small detail

Elk Horn

FNG
I think PSE is looking to the future. Actually addressing something that has been overlooked in archery for a long time.

Do you guys have a GREAT pro shop where someone who has no idea how to shoot, OR shoot a hinge OR OR OR. Can get help making a purchase and instruction from someone who knows what they are talking about. OR simply a shop that will set up a guys bow and teach them a couple of things along the way.

I don't...... and for the most part very few archers have a good pro shop.

Archery is one of those things where if your equipment is not set up right and fitting you. You will not hit anything and more than likely you will quit

Everyone buys stuff online, most don't know what to do with it. The NockOn YouTube channel will teach people MORE than any pro shop ever has. A guy can actually become proficient as a shooter and mechanic which is the key to long term success in archery.

Costs are up and sales are down. People demand new technology but really the Archer technology has plateaued. An archery business needs to retain every archer it can, This retention has been THE thing that has kept archery from growing for the 30 years that I have been in the sport.

A "GREAT pro shop" is so hard to find. While stationed in Northern Virginia, there was/still is one in Warrenton,VA. Outstanding service in setting up and fitting newly purchased and currently owned equipment no matter the brand. Wish, I lived near a similar pro shop now.

Billinsd

WKR
Where's the link to that video? I tune my BHs first, then shoot my FPs and adjust my sights to shoot the FPs for 3D shoots or target practice. Of course when I go hunting I adjust the sights again. This is if your BHs point of impact is off of your FPs. Isn't this what people do?
If ANYONE can provide a good reason as to why shooting FP's first at the target and then BH's is a good idea or better...........I'm all ears
Me too.
The bottom line is.......there are plenty of people out there to get advice from if you need it. Choose wisely.
Amen. And if someone is helpful, smart, and charismatic like John Dudley sounds, it's probably not a great idea to blindly buy or do everything he recommends without carefully evaluating yourself. It's a relatively free country still, so you can and should do what you want. John seems like a good guy to me and real knowledgeable. However, I already know alot of what he's talking about. I'd love to invent a podcast filter. Something that would filter out what I don't already know, because it takes so much time to wade through podcasts. I do fast forward a lot. Lol.

Brendan

WKR
Where's the link to that video? I tune my BHs first, then shoot my FPs and adjust my sights to shoot the FPs for 3D shoots or target practice. Of course when I go hunting I adjust the sights again. This is if your BHs point of impact is off of your FPs. Isn't this what people do?

No - what the video is about is making adjustments so BH and FP hit to the same POI so there are no sight adjustments. I'd argue your bow isn't tuned unless they shoot the same (minus potential vertical differences at long range)

I don't do it the way it's done in the video but do it on every bow without fail.

Where's the link to that video? I tune my BHs first, then shoot my FPs and adjust my sights to shoot the FPs for 3D shoots or target practice. Of course when I go hunting I adjust the sights again. This is if your BHs point of impact is off of your FPs. Isn't this what people do?Me too.Amen. And if someone is helpful, smart, and charismatic like John Dudley sounds, it's probably not a great idea to blindly buy or do everything he recommends without carefully evaluating yourself. It's a relatively free country still, so you can and should do what you want. John seems like a good guy to me and real knowledgeable. However, I already know alot of what he's talking about. I'd love to invent a podcast filter. Something that would filter out what I don't already know, because it takes so much time to wade through podcasts. I do fast forward a lot. Lol.

I'd like to see the video in question too, but only so I don't have to keep making assumptions or taking this guy's word for it. It must have some really heinous stuff in it, to have butt-hurt '5MB' so badly. ;)

That said, your description of having to change your sights every time you change between broadheads and field points says you'd benefit from a tuning vid as well. And probably best to not skip around it because you assume you already know what they're gonna say. Hint: It mainly involves micro-tuning your rest; not changing your sights around every time you change between broadheads and field points. ;)

Billinsd

WKR
Man if that all it takes to discredit someone I wish you good luck in your life. The guy has probably forgotten more archery than you know. Have you shot on the Olympic level yet? Find it humorous that your so hung up on such a small detail
He explained his reasoning real well to me. He said he didn't know the guy. I've never heard of him either, however I been living under a rock archery wise for the last decade. He just said he listened to him for a half hour and heard something that didn't make sense to him and made him question they guy. Yes, looked and John is an Olympic shooter and definitely forgets more in a week than I know and seems like a great guy to me in my very limited exposure to him. I don't completely agree with anyone though and never blindly follow others. Talking on internet posts is not the same in person. It's too easy to misread people.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
I'd like to see the video in question too, but only so I don't have to keep making assumptions or taking this guy's word for it. It must have some really heinous stuff in it, to have butt-hurt '5MB' so badly. ;)
I don't see 5M as being butt hurt at all.
That said, your description of having to change your sights every time you change between broadheads and field points says you'd benefit from a tuning vid as well. And probably best to not skip around it because you assume you already know what they're gonna say. Hint: It mainly involves micro-tuning your rest; not changing your sights around every time you change between broadheads and field points. ;)
I'm always open to new ideas, thanks. I try to skip past the small talk, not the technical stuff, fyi. I use information and often tweak it for what works best for me. I always used "Tuning your Broadheads by Larry Wise".

He explained he reasoning real well to me. He said he didn't know the guy. I've never heard of him either, however I been living under a rock archery wise for the last decade. He just said he listened to him for a half hour and heard something that didn't make sense to him and made him question they guy. Yes, looked and John is an Olympic shooter and definitely forgets more in a week than I know and seems like a great guy to me in my very limited exposure to him. I don't completely agree with anyone though and never blindly follow others. Talking on internet posts is not the same in person. It's too easy to misread people.

Well, sort of. What he said was that the one and only thing he knows about the guy he saw in a video watching the guy tune his bow. He didn't understand why the guy did one think moderately differently than he thinks it should be done, and determined that Dudley is a "moron" with absolutely no other knowledge that 5MB could learn from him.

Rational, reasonable, people don't immediately become that hostile over such a tiny difference in a person's methodology from their own.