Jim White Tripd Head

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I currently use my spotter all day long to glass with, maybe one of these days I will break down and spend that kind of money on a tripod and head for it but for now I will take that money and buy another rifle or pistol that I don't need or use it to fill up the gas tank on my truck so I can make another hunt or camping/fishing trip. Never saw a need to use a tripod for my binos but they are little 10x42 Nikons that don't weigh anything.

You should try mounting your binos on a tripod, you can glass for much longer with them, be much more patient and comfortable. I have found that it really helps me.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Outdoorsman Medium Tripod weighs in at 36.6 oz. The Outdoorsman pan head weighs in at 11.0 oz. The adaptor plates weigh in at 1.0 oz. This is the set up I run and these are the weights taken today. I do run to adaptors though, one on my spotter and one on my Swarovski Binoculars to glass with those also. So the tripod, pan head and 2 adaptors weigh in at 49.6 oz., which is pretty lightweight for a system that can hold the biggest of spotters.

Aslo I can not stand behind mine, but if you like to glass like that, they do make a center post extension that would make it possible.

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I believe I am just going to return the Jim White and go with the Outdoorsmans Pan Head. I really like their dual mount and other accessories anyways.

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
I made a post in a few of the "Ballhead/panning head" and "tripod" threads. For half the price AND less weight you can have a setup that is just as functional...if you can do without the handle that goes with a panning head. This outdoorsman tripod and head setiup is obviously working for a few individuals im just pointing out there are other "one time purchases". Im a little surprised that in the effort to get your kits as light as possible you haven noticed the handle on a panning base is pretty much dead weight. I know at some point it in all the oz. whittling some things ultimately come down to preference and everyone makes that decision for themselves. The price of that head is staggering though and to be honest waayyy overpriced. Im a hunter and semi professional photographer, in the world of photography your gear is nothing without rock solid support, I wouldnt steer you wrong. My 2 cents, best of luck out there.

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I made a post in a few of the "Ballhead/panning head" and "tripod" threads. For half the price AND less weight you can have a setup that is just as functional...if you can do without the handle that goes with a panning head. This outdoorsman tripod and head setiup is obviously working for a few individuals im just pointing out there are other "one time purchases". Im a little surprised that in the effort to get your kits as light as possible you haven noticed the handle on a panning base is pretty much dead weight. I know at some point it in all the oz. whittling some things ultimately come down to preference and everyone makes that decision for themselves. The price of that head is staggering though and to be honest waayyy overpriced. Im a hunter and semi professional photographer, in the world of photography your gear is nothing without rock solid support, I wouldnt steer you wrong. My 2 cents, best of luck out there.

Thanks for the tip, ill check it out.

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
"The Outdoorsman stuff is a once in a lifetime purchase."

To go along with the once in a lifetime purchase of my optics... I am thinking real hard about upgrading the tripod and head to the outdoorsman system.

So, for the medium tripod and the pan head from Outdoorsman, is that all you need or do you need any of the adapter plates or other accessories they sell to make it fully functional?

Just to let you know, I called Outdoorsmans today and they said if you were to place the order over the phone that they would throw in an adapter plate for ordering, but if you order online it would not do that.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
You should try mounting your binos on a tripod, you can glass for much longer with them, be much more patient and comfortable. I have found that it really helps me.

I have heard the same thing but so far I have no issues holding my binos up for 12 hours and glassing with them. That lets me leave my spotter mounted so I can quickly get on it and check something out. Honestly I use both optics just as much as each other, I will first look the area over with my eyes looking for anything suspicious then go to binos then to the spotter then back to my eyes and start all over again. Somewhere in there I will take a break and have a snack and drink then get back to it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can hold my binoculars steady also, until.......Your hands get cold you don't hold as steady....You get cold and you don't hold as steady....The wind is blowing pretty decent and you can't hold as steady....You are more relaxed when not holding something in your hands, you are more steady. The steadiest hands all start to fatigue after hours and hours of glassing. When glassing, and I mean glassing one spot for hours and hours, binoculars on a tripod will out produce more game than binoculars without, all else being equal.

I agree 100% with you Rosin, but that is what the spotter on the tripod is for. Do you take both along with you and switch them back and forth on the tripod or what do you do?

Gman

WKR
I thought I was one of those that could glass all day with no tripod -- and I could, I guess. Just not as well as binos on a tripod. If you have the tripod with you, why not add a lightweight bino attachment? The plates are quick release and I am much more comfortable spending hours behind binos than I am my spotter. I was always a naysayer until I tried it! Now, if you're not carrying a tripod and no spotter, then it becomes a weight issue. However, I was so impressed with binos on the tripod I'm pretty sure for this year's elk hunt - since I'm after whatever, not picking a specific animal, etc. - I'll carry my normal tripod at 2lbs and bino attachments. I'll probably leave the spotter at home. I do have pronghorn and goat hunts that I will tote the full optics but I would highly recommend at least giving the binos on a tripod a try. Maybe during a scouting trip?

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I agree 100% with you Rosin, but that is what the spotter on the tripod is for. Do you take both along with you and switch them back and forth on the tripod or what do you do?
I'm not Rosin, but I have a quick release adapter plate loctited to both my binos and spotter and swap back and forth as needed. It takes a few seconds to swap out, and its only about a 4 ounce weight penalty. Or you could buy the Outdoorsmans Dual Mount, and have both mounted at the same time.

Still haven't gotten my tripod system to be where I want it. Using the Slik Mini, which I love, but I don't love the ball head for gridding out an area. The short and cheapest fix for now would be for me to get either the Jim White head or the Outdoorsman head.

Will the Outdoorsman head fit on any tripod?