Jet boil

I am looking to get a jet boil to make food and coffee. Which one did you guys get And why? I see there are a few different models

flash
Minimo
Micromo
Zip
Sumo
Flash Java kit - assuming this is the flash with coffee adaptor

thanks

kickemall

WKR
I had a Flash and now have a Minimo. I like the igniter on the Jet Boils and after a lot of years haven't had a problem but I also don't use it in really cold weather. I switched to the Minimo because of the ability to adjust the flame although I rarely use that feature. If your just boiling water for coffee and Mountain House meals then either will work fine. If your actually trying to cook something then get the Minimo. I've never used the others you listed.

OldGrayJB

WKR
If you plan to use it in cold weather, get one that has a regulator. The three you listed that have mo at the end of the name have regulators. Jetboil doesn't recommend the Flash for temps below 40°. The MSR Windburner and Reactors have regs too. I use a Windburner and have no complaints.

Last edited:
Why? I keep seeing this but I haven't seen anything outwardly anti. They may not be outwardly pro but have they actually done anything negative? Is MSR outwardly pro?
I reached out to their parent company, Johnson outdoors, and they sent me this reply when I asked their stance on hunting:

Thanks for the note. It shows you care enough about Jetboil to take the time to write an email, and that means you truly are a “Jethead”!
Officially and unofficially, Jetboil loves our hunter “Jetheads” (and anglers, too, if you also love tight lines) all over the globe and loves the fact that they love our awesome gear when they are out doing what they love to do! And we have hunting Jetheads in every part of the world (I just got cool photos from some guys in Africa.)

If they are relying every day on the very best hunting gear, then it makes sense for them to rely on the very best backcountry cook stove on the planet to keep them alive and well-fed, because they know rain or shine their Jetboil is going to work well every time. Why would they – or you -- put their lives (and bellies) in the hands of anyone else?

Jetboil respects and honors that role and considers it a privilege to serve our hunting enthusiasts and fans – and every other fan of any outdoor activity who needs the very best backcountry cook equipment.

Despite the supportive email from Jetboil, I am retiring my Jetboil Flash in favor of a MSR Windburner. The windburner is better in the wind, faster to boil water, and is regulated so I can simmer in a skillet (which I just did for my lunch today).

I’ve used a Flash for a few years now, but if I had it to do over again the MSR windburner would be where I go. The flash just struggles with wind and colder temps. I know the Mo series are supposed to be the solution for that. But form what I’ve seen the wind burner just flat works in bad conditions and where the flash struggles.

Bearsears

WKR
I reached out to their parent company, Johnson outdoors, and they sent me this reply when I asked their stance on hunting:

Thanks for the note. It shows you care enough about Jetboil to take the time to write an email, and that means you truly are a “Jethead”!
Officially and unofficially, Jetboil loves our hunter “Jetheads” (and anglers, too, if you also love tight lines) all over the globe and loves the fact that they love our awesome gear when they are out doing what they love to do! And we have hunting Jetheads in every part of the world (I just got cool photos from some guys in Africa.)

If they are relying every day on the very best hunting gear, then it makes sense for them to rely on the very best backcountry cook stove on the planet to keep them alive and well-fed, because they know rain or shine their Jetboil is going to work well every time. Why would they – or you -- put their lives (and bellies) in the hands of anyone else?

Jetboil respects and honors that role and considers it a privilege to serve our hunting enthusiasts and fans – and every other fan of any outdoor activity who needs the very best backcountry cook equipment.
I stand corrected. Insert foot in mouth. Thanks for sharing that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

gexpro

WKR
If I had to do jetboil all over again I would go with the mini-mo.

in the end of the day I settled with a lightweight evernew titanium pot with BRS-3000 Stove. Counting ounces over here 👈🏽

I stand corrected. Insert foot in mouth. Thanks for sharing that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I kept hearing that they were anti-hunting, I just couldn't find it in writing anywhere. It isn't the end of my research, but I figured I'd share it because it was all I could find that wasn't just a rumor. I'm willing to hear if others have a source I couldn't locate though.

Dmeis

FNG
I've had a MSR Firefly for 15 years and it has always worked flawlessly and puts out a lot of heat when needed.

Mosby

WKR
I have a Reactor and my son has a Windburner. I prefer MSR. I also have a Kovea Spider with a MSR Titan kettle. A combination I highly recommend. Allows me to turn the canister upside down and good to 0 degrees.

Have had the Flash for years and no issues. Had a concern about igniting in high elevation but did just fine at 10k feet. It’s used all year and would buy again in a heartbeat.