January/February Rut in the South

Long Cut

WKR
Very challenging hunting but rewarding as well.

The biggest difference from the Midwest to the Southeast is the lack of a consistent wind. We hunt more so off of thermals. A “windy” day here is a 7-12 mph wind, but that’s based off of gusts, we rarely have a sustained “wind”.
These deer are much more wary to human presence & hunting pressure as well. Being they’ve been hunted from October to February with rifles, the dumb die and smart survive.
There’s also public land but the road systems are very muddy, rugged and remote. Especially most of Alabama & Mississippi’s… some are gravel but 4x4 and mud tires or fresh AT’s is encouraged. Our rainy season is December-May so the ruts are bad this time of year.

OP
C
Very challenging hunting but rewarding as well.

The biggest difference from the Midwest to the Southeast is the lack of a consistent wind. We hunt more so off of thermals. A “windy” day here is a 7-12 mph wind, but that’s based off of gusts, we rarely have a sustained “wind”.
These deer are much more wary to human presence & hunting pressure as well. Being they’ve been hunted from October to February with rifles, the dumb die and smart survive.
There’s also public land but the road systems are very muddy, rugged and remote. Especially most of Alabama & Mississippi’s… some are gravel but 4x4 and mud tires or fresh AT’s is encouraged. Our rainy season is December-May so the ruts are bad this time of year.
Sounds like where I live only we get snow instead of rain. Wind drives me nuts here. I'm assuming it's very thick where the deer are then? If you were doing a wma hunt would a mt bike be worth bringing if the roads are crap and you're by yourself?

Long Cut

WKR
Sounds like where I live only we get snow instead of rain. Wind drives me nuts here. I'm assuming it's very thick where the deer are then? If you were doing a wma hunt would a mt bike be worth bringing if the roads are crap and you're by yourself?
Yes the deer will typically be in the upland sites unless it’s unusually warm like 60-80F then they’ll be down in the thicker creek bottoms.

We have a ~6 to 9 month long growing season so thick to us means very difficult to walk through. The briars down here are nothing to play with.

The bike would be dependent on the soil and how compact the roads are. I’d say it’s worth bringing to try. Some places it’ll probably be fine and others you’re better off walking it.

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
I been considering hunting the South a bit to hit a "second rut". I've never hunted deer in Jan, Feb.
If you're in an area where peak rut falls in this time is it like November elsewhere?
Also if you're hunting a piece of property that doesn't allow dogs in an area that does are the deer still pretty spooky?
It's nothing like the Midwest but it can be good if the weather is good. Our rut usually starts around Jan 1. We don't allow dogs, and from my experience, if deer are coming to a bait site, they will still be spooky. If you are hunting travel routes or transitions, they won't be as spooky.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
The January/February rut is just like other places’ November rut. BUT in my experience, the deer in these areas (AL/GA I assume is where you’re going) often behave differently than deer up north due to pressure and parcel size. There is lots of real thick brush for them to hide and travel through down here, which they rely on during the day due to the small parcels of thick woods that separate them from wide open fields. So, it’s very important to get in a good pinch point or travel route if you want to get a big boy because they just don’t typically walk out in fields during the day unless you have a stroke of great luck or great habitat. The biggest buck I ever shot was standing in thick woods on the outside edge of a field, just watching small bucks and does walk around in the field. That’s the typical experience I’ve had: edge habitat and thick brush.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Do you Bama guys see snakes in January?
Not typically, but I shot a 4-foot rattler on the coldest day of the season last year. The temps are so inconsistent that they stay around, they just hide a little better.

OP
C
The January/February rut is just like other places’ November rut. BUT in my experience, the deer in these areas (AL/GA I assume is where you’re going) often behave differently than deer up north due to pressure and parcel size. There is lots of real thick brush for them to hide and travel through down here, which they rely on during the day due to the small parcels of thick woods that separate them from wide open fields. So, it’s very important to get in a good pinch point or travel route if you want to get a big boy because they just don’t typically walk out in fields during the day unless you have a stroke of great luck or great habitat. The biggest buck I ever shot was standing in thick woods on the outside edge of a field, just watching small bucks and does walk around in the field. That’s the typical experience I’ve had: edge habitat and thick brush.
When I hunted some really high pressure stuff they did %90 of their movement the last hour of daylight. Is it like that or do they move a bit midday and morning?

Rich M

WKR
Lady i work w. She and hubby are hunting AL right now. Last 2 weeks showing uptick in deer movement. Season ends this Friday…

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
When I hunted some really high pressure stuff they did %90 of their movement the last hour of daylight. Is it like that or do they move a bit midday and morning?
During the rut, theyre moving pretty much regardless, its just about catching either a doe coming to eat or a buck chasing a doe through a well-travelled area. First and last hours of daylight are best for general deer movement, but the big, mature bucks do not like traffic. They typically are gonna move when the others are not, so closer to midday.

Our season ends at the end of January.
I give up the week between Christmas and New Years to hunt the last two weekends of January.
I’ve found for years now that the end of January is when it is on.

OP
C
Our season ends at the end of January.
I give up the week between Christmas and New Years to hunt the last two weekends of January.
I’ve found for years now that the end of January is when it is on.
I had the impression from the "rut map" that it varied all over the state...Would you say Lat January is generally best and the map is localized and variable?

I had the impression from the "rut map" that it varied all over the state...Would you say Lat January is generally best and the map is localized and variable?
I think the map is a "in general" prediction. The rut to me is more of a bell curve rather than an on/off switch. I see younger does and bucks start the cycle then all seem to be in the game and then older bucks seem to roam late for anything coming into eustress (sp) late.

Of course this is purely anecdotal to my area where I hunt and my experience.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I've seen snakes several times during Dec/Jan here. Some days can be pushing 70...or can be in the 20's. Weather certainly effects the deer movement as well.

The rut does vary across the state. I've heard it's due to where the deer in certain areas originally came from when the state was "stocked" decades ago.

One downside to the Jan/Feb rut that isn't considered is the length of the hunting season BEFORE the rut. With a bow season starting in mid-Oct, the deer have been hunted for 3 months before the rut begins. Aside from the amount of hunting pressure, a lot of bucks have been taken out before the rut ever starts. In areas that have a bad buck/doe ratio to begin with, and bucks have been targeted more than does, this results in a longer, more drawn out, less intense rut. Less searching for does, more does being bred late, etc. It is what it is, the rut is still THE time, but were there not 3 months of hunting pre-rut and a better buck/doe ratio it would be much better.

Leaving at lunch today to get the last hunt of the year in. Little melancholy that it's ending but after hunting 2-3 days a week since mid-Oct I need a break just like the deer....

On a side note, a few years back on the same day one buddy had a black bear try to get in the stand with him and another, just a 1000 or so yards away killed a rattlesnake in the tree next to him. About 15 foot up on a branch! Now this is Louisiana so Alabama may vary. LOL

Ah, you mean deep, deep, Gulf-Coast Deep South.

Peak rut in South Carolina is mid-October to mid-November. Around Charleston, we're way past the main rut and bucks are shy, as are most deer. At least this is what we see near Edisto.
I agree but I have been finding fresh scapes around here in the last couple weeks, different properties 11 miles apart...I actually smelled one yesterday before I found it super fresh...very atypical here.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I been considering hunting the South a bit to hit a "second rut". I've never hunted deer in Jan, Feb.
If you're in an area where peak rut falls in this time is it like November elsewhere?
Also if you're hunting a piece of property that doesn't allow dogs in an area that does are the deer still pretty spooky?
Which southern states (other than Alabama) have a season that extend into Feb?