Jacket Help: Axis Hybrid vs Sita Jetstream/Thunderhead

Jeterry

FNG
Anyone have any experience with Both the Kuiu Axis Hybrd and the Sitka Jetstream or Thunderhead? Quietness? Pros/Cons of each? Will be used out west, as well as in a tree stand for whitetail. Looking for a shell for layering under.

I wouldnt call the jetstream or the axis a “shell” jacket. Theu are both jackets with good windblocler and some mild to moderate weather protection, but if it gets nasty they wont keep it out lile the thinderhead. That is a true shell jacket. But it suffers from breathability issues due to the shell nature.

For your purposes, i would recommend either the jetstream or axis as a “do-most” type outer with layers under, and have a lightweight weather layer to throw on top when it hits the fan. Both those jackets will do just fine in light precip.

I would not hunt extended periods in the thunderhead. It just isn’t for moving, its more for treestand rain hunting. But could you wear it as an outer? Sure, but not even the better option, its just an option (not a good one in my opinion).

Quietness, all will serve you fine for hunting. The loudest is probably the axis and it might he tough to draw a bow in that on a quiet day, but with a normal 10mph wind and some leaf noise w would be fine. The thunderhead would be next followed by the jetstream.

Hope that helps

OP
J

Jeterry

FNG
I wouldnt call the jetstream or the axis a “shell” jacket. Theu are both jackets with good windblocler and some mild to moderate weather protection, but if it gets nasty they wont keep it out lile the thinderhead. That is a true shell jacket. But it suffers from breathability issues due to the shell nature.

For your purposes, i would recommend either the jetstream or axis as a “do-most” type outer with layers under, and have a lightweight weather layer to throw on top when it hits the fan. Both those jackets will do just fine in light precip.

I would not hunt extended periods in the thunderhead. It just isn’t for moving, its more for treestand rain hunting. But could you wear it as an outer? Sure, but not even the better option, its just an option (not a good one in my opinion).

Quietness, all will serve you fine for hunting. The loudest is probably the axis and it might he tough to draw a bow in that on a quiet day, but with a normal 10mph wind and some leaf noise w would be fine. The thunderhead would be next followed by the jetstream.

Hope that helps
So what would you suggest to be the best option for a shell that blocks the wind, quiet enough for archery that can be layered under?

Homestly i love my stratus jacket for whitetail hunting. I can easily layer under mine even with a puffy jacket and stay warm, windproof, and stay dry in light precipitation. I would not western hunt with that jacket though, as it doesn’t breathe well. I used my jetstream jacket for that purpose.

I own the jetstream and axis hybrid. Both are good soft shells. The axis is more wear and weather resistant. The Sitka breathes better. Insulation is about the same. Noise about the same too. If you are set on a soft shell, go with the one that has the camo you like or order both keep the one that fits best. FWIW Kuiu tops run small on me and I need a size up for shoulder room. definitely go bigger if you want to layer.

for whitetail, I am a big fan of sitkas traverse jacket. It is warm and more breathable than a shell. I wear mine after temps drop unless I am specifically expecting rain.