I've encountered a last minute problem

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
When I planned and then booked my sheep hunt, I didn't anticipate the impact of my weight loss. I wanted to get from 235 lbs down to 200 lbs. Exactly 30 days from departure to NWT, I'm at 207 lbs. Here's the problem: none of my "Expensive Kuiu" clothing fits! Everything is too big! Anyone else encounter this problem? I've had to buy new pants, new shirts and deciding what else to do knowing I'll come home closer to 190 lbs. At 51 its good to be thinner for heath reasons, but its also an unexpected, expensive development.

Ya my belt is getting a better work out now.....for a better reason then before. Its holding loose pants up instead of holding them to my fat ass.

You shouldn't have bought expensive clothing. That would of been the better thing to do, to save quite a few dollars. Oh well, too bad .....

Get a cheap but sturdy leather belt that is on the smaller side of your range with the ability to tighten as needed. I fluctuate from 34 to 36 in waist and this works for me. No one cares what you look like in the backcountry. Belt fixes pants that are too big, and a loose shirt won't hurt you either.

Congrats on the weight loss. You'll be so much better off on your hunt (which is really where the expense is).
You'll be able to recoup some of your loss by selling your gear here at RS or eBay. The better thing about buying good gear is the resale is just as good. Sure beats fighting poor fitting clothing during your long awaited hunt. Good luck!

When I planned and then booked my sheep hunt, I didn't anticipate the impact of my weight loss. I wanted to get from 235 lbs down to 200 lbs. Exactly 30 days from departure to NWT, I'm at 207 lbs. Here's the problem: none of my "Expensive Kuiu" clothing fits! Everything is too big! Anyone else encounter this problem? I've had to buy new pants, new shirts and deciding what else to do knowing I'll come home closer to 190 lbs. At 51 its good to be thinner for heath reasons, but its also an unexpected, expensive development.

Ive lost nearly 80 lbs in last year or so. Two full pant sizes, 38 to 34. Real pain in the butt replacing all my clothing but it was a must. I would at least replace your main pants so you aren’t fighting them the whole time. You can get by with a little bit of a loose top and cinch up the belt on your rain pants etc, but baggy pants falling off your waist the whole trip will be a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a cheap but sturdy leather belt that is on the smaller side of your range with the ability to tighten as needed. I fluctuate from 34 to 36 in waist and this works for me. No one cares what you look like in the backcountry. Belt fixes pants that are too big, and a loose shirt won't hurt you either.
Yeah, but I see a few posts on here with people worried about their camouflage patterns matching and manscaping routines. Gotta look cool for the instagram selfies and be insta-famous....obviously!

I just wish they made a made a lightweight backcountry cologne to cover up the aroma from wearing the same clothes for a week and to mask the aftermath of eating MH Chili Mac.

Last edited:
Yeah, looking cool and putting on a presentation that you own all the high dollar gear, clothing and equipment, is important for an internet persona .....

I wonder if the people who are complaining about the cost of Kuiu realize that it sells for about $.85 on the dollar used.... I am constantly amazed seeing guys on FB selling used Kuiu(with a mended Hope here and there, etc.) for only slightly less than retail.

Try doing that with any of the inexpensive stuff. You won’t find a buyer.

So, order what you need and sell off your old stuff. It won’t hurt your wallet as much as you might think...

Use suspenders, It amazes me with all the used expensive hunting clothing in the classifieds why spend all that money on a name, when you can do a bit of searching ang get clothing just as good as the super brand names.

Back