It's my first time (elk archery resident co).... blast me with your tips

So I know that "they" say if you go at least a mile in, you'll remove 90% of the hunters.... which brings me to the question of why are they so close to the road? Think they are just so used to the smell of ppl without harm that they are desensitized-ish? or are you just referencing the oasis that is right over the hill that ppl never see bc there is a road nearby?
that is kind of a yes to all lol. most hunters are lazy in general so going deep has its benefits. on the other side of it is that the guys who believe they need to go deep, often overlook the prime spots right in front of them. animals are not stupid, humans are lol. they spend their lives avoiding predators and learn our habits so in a sense they are desensitized. plus, with everyone going deep they have to go somewhere, the most basic survival tactic is to go opposite the threat.
I have spots right by the road and have sat there with elk as we watched people run by bugling on opening day. no, elk do not always run, in timber a lot of times they will just not move or walk in the other direction.
to touch on something that was said earlier, always think about after the shot. as a solo hunter I have passed on elk that I knew I could not get out in time. I had a spot that was 8 miles in, alone I could never pack out an entire elk in the sept. heat without losing some. maybe a calf, but it's easier to just pass till I have people with me. know your limits and respect the animals.

also, congratulations on your wedding, and why did you switch to a hoyt bow?​

OP
MmmKa

MmmKa

FNG
I had a Mathews jewel in 2011-2012 ish (so I have been shooting for a long time) but extended past the draw wt the bow offered so moved to a hoyt due to liking the backstop. I guess I just never switched. I've have the hoyt faktor since then and know it like the back of my hand down to the scratches gain from chasing every turkey I can find lol. Now it's time to get into "big turky" ie: elk. Wedding?

Last edited:
I guess I'll be that guy knowing I may be wrong. in 2018 you had a BowTech and a BF who then turned into a husband. no posts in 5 years and you don't know where to start so you weren't a lurker. plus, the questionable headline. just saying.
if by slim chance I'm wrong, I apologize.

I guess I'll be that guy knowing I may be wrong.

You aren't wrong, nor out of line on this one. The whole thing is a catfish scam. Ol' Harry is sitting back there in Podunk, PA, sucking down Pabst Blue Ribbon in front of a laptop screen, living his "life" vicariously through internet dreams. I wouldn't apologize.

87TT

WKR
Now that I am fully awake, It is starting to smell real fishy. As this was getting posted, I read the OP's posts and it makes no sense. Story doesn't add up. I apologize for doubting the doubters.
R.bc238bef55b86ccc8c3e1df6580dedfb

guess @fngTony owes someone an apology lol. we should have got it when the OP said they rented 10+ books from a library, do we still have those? books and libraries lol

With gear today and social media, everyone thinks they need to get in ten miles .... I am amazed at the amount of elk I run across before daylight when I'm on my four wheeler ..... I had a small herd cross in front of me on the trail two hundred yards from camp ..... I saw not one other elk that day despite hiking in a couple miles.

I drew another late rifle bull tag in Arizona a few years ago and by 2PM of Day Five of the season, my guide and I had spotted half a dozen bulls that morning, all within 600 yds of a main road, including a 330" bull. No one else had a clue that those bulls and others were even there. Everyone was way out at the trailhead, on the edge of the designated wilderness area (lol).

KHNC

WKR
Not being able to get into the far high country might be a bonus. With gear today and social media, everyone thinks they need to get in ten miles. On a crowded unit where there are lots of people pushing in many miles, the elk will be seeking refuge in sometimes very small, dark pockets of timber. I am amazed at the amount of elk I run across before daylight when I'm on my four wheeler getting back in to start the hikes. I had a small herd cross in front of me on the bike trail two hundred yards from camp last year. Why I didn't change my plans and stay there is beyond me. I saw not one other elk that day despite hiking in a couple miles.
Spend some time out. Look for fresh sign. Look for rubs. Locate water sources that are close, but not on top of your area. Camping water can work, but when the elk are pressured, rarely. They won't be super far from that source, but they may be drinking through the night and holding tight in the timber within a half mile.
Good luck. Good to see you have the goal to get into them. If unsuccessful at the harvest, the time there is worth every single effort. If I never put an arrow through an elk the rest of my life, I will still be there every chance I get.
I think maybe you needed to read more of the thread before you replied. Sorry you typed all those words for nothing.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
guess @fngTony owes someone an apology lol. we should have got it when the OP said they rented 10+ books from a library, do we still have those? books and libraries lol
An apology to who? For what? I was keeping the forum inviting and out of the gutter without personal insults. What I removed didn’t belong on the forum. Yes, there are some things that don’t add up based on reading a few posts since 2018 but there’s still good explanations that could clear that up.

OP
MmmKa

MmmKa

FNG
I guess I'll be that guy knowing I may be wrong. in 2018 you had a BowTech and a BF who then turned into a husband. no posts in 5 years and you don't know where to start so you weren't a lurker. plus, the questionable headline. just saying.
if by slim chance I'm wrong, I apologize.
Nope! Never a bow tech bf. My husband is an engineer and not into the sport but supportive as one can be. Must be someone else you are thinking of- sorry to disappoint 🤷🏼‍♀️😜

OP
MmmKa

MmmKa

FNG
An apology to who? For what? I was keeping the forum inviting and out of the gutter without personal insults. What I removed didn’t belong on the forum. Yes, there are some things that don’t add up based on reading a few posts since 2018 but there’s still good explanations that could clear that up.
To clear it up- as if I need too….. (annoying but ok). I had kids, both of them were born in late September and early October so couldn’t get out there and try the sport. 8/9 months prego and hiking isn’t the smartest thing to combine. Now that the kids are 4 & 2 …. And my business is finally at a point where I can take off time …. I get to focus on me and trying something new out.

But yes, I appreciate you taking the extra time to moderate the forum as a whole and thank you for the work.

Last edited:
OP
MmmKa

MmmKa

FNG
You aren't wrong, nor out of line on this one. The whole thing is a catfish scam. Ol' Harry is sitting back there in Podunk, PA, sucking down Pabst Blue Ribbon in front of a laptop screen, living his "life" vicariously through internet dreams. I wouldn't apologize.
In this day in age / point in time. I could always “identify” as a middle aged man named harry…… although I’m more of a “Mike” if I’d guess 🤷🏼‍♀️

Last edited:
OP
MmmKa

MmmKa

FNG
Eg of the books you can get from the library……

Attachments

• IMG_4834.jpeg
    IMG_4834.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 24
well, since you called me out, I will say I'm OK with being wrong and I offered a good tip. as for the library, I'm surprised because all that info can be found online, and most libraries have been closed. plus, if you spend much time here, you will find most do not read past 2-3 posts let alone a whole book lol.
if there's a specific area you need help in, I would narrow down your questions.

in case you forgot about the bows you shoot. and your BF.
Hi!

I'm looking for a good bow (dont really care the year/ brand) that my boyfriend can shoot (I'm trying to get him into this). I shoot a Bow Tech and like it but I know there are so many other brands.

Thanks!

sorry you didn't succeed in getting him into it. and I guess, welcome back.

Eg of the books you can get from the library……

Ever read Tom Brakefield? I highly suggest you do. He's probably penned the best big game hunting educational titles of anyone. Excellent writer and without question, the most diverse and highly experienced North American hunting author since 1960.