It's my first time (elk archery resident co).... blast me with your tips

MmmKa

FNG
As a female and ZERO previous experience, I want to absorb all the info I can get. goal this year is to just get INTO elk (within 300 yrds) so I can get exposure and learn on the job. Hoyt bow. I live in the unit and with kids and a company to run, I have to hunt overnights etc so cant do the high country this year).
But would love to learn all the info and tips you have seen along the way - Thanks in advance!

Beendare

WKR
It's all about knowing the species....AND in those units what those elk do to get away from the hoards of hunters. Lace up you boots and find fresh sign and a spot the elk are using to get away from other hunters. Easy- grin

What doesn't work; you can be like every other bowhunter and blow a bugle up a trail that 100 other guys have already done to educate the elk and let them know you are coming....

Howdy, that's awesome you are here. The best way to get started would to be read and do a lot of it. Plenty of species specific forums here. Generally a message like this wont get you much. There is a search function so if you have specific questions, chances are there are quite a few threads already on here with your answer waiting to be read. Best of luck to you!

Ucsdryder

WKR
Best way to kill an elk? That’s easy…go scout. Find elk before the season, they’re much easier to find. Opening morning have them patterned and spot and stalk or ambush. Once they group up with cows the bulls are much less predictable and will likely leave the location you’re currently finding them.

Go out after work and hike around a few times, you’ll find them.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I am decently familiar with where you are at. Lots and lots of traffic for outdoor rec down by you. Since you live there do you have access to private? Any friends or neighbors that would help a lot or even if it is cutting through private to NF that is hard to access is huge
. Otherwise you can look on here and YouTube and there is loads of info out there. Heck maybe pick up a hoochie mama and give that a shot if you aren’t a good elk caller, lots of elk have been killed by those silly calls.

Q child

WKR
I don't know anything about archery, elk, or the area, so I'll skip the advice. I do wish you good times and luck though.

I'm just waiting for comments on the headline and the rokslide singles to roll in lol
my tip would be take your time, dont try to go far in and run around. you would be surprised how many elk are close to the road.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve never shot a hoyt but 300 yds is quite a distance ;)

All kidding aside, there’s so much to read on Rokslide about what you’re looking for.

Ask some specific questions and go from there

Good luck. 👍

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I removed the unit number from the original post and allowing the general questions and answers to carry on.

Also deleted a few inappropriate comments and comments quoting those.

Let’s be the stand up community that we are and not completely derail and kill a thread with childish nonsense.

87TT

WKR
Give her a break. She doesn't post a lot but has been on here longer than a lot of us and is trying.

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
A great way to set up a rock solid foundation on your elk hunting journey is to journal everything. Successes, failures, everything. Whenever I learn something new that will help me down the road on a hunt or at home e-scouting, I add it. The next thing that’s helped me is document what I find in the woods. By putting a waypoint on sign like rubs, bedding areas, travel routes, or elk you’ve seen it will start to paint that picture of how to best hunt them in an area. The last thing I’ll mention is the wealth of knowledge and information that is out there in the world of podcasts and YouTube. Look for guys like Mark Livesay, Paul Medel, Corey Jacobsen, Brian Barney, Remi Warren, and Randy Newberg (I could keep going.) They all have their own approach to hunting elk that has made them successful and are willing to share all that they know. If you have free time in your schedule, look into the “Elk 101” course. It takes you through every single phase of learning to hunt elk. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanimalW

WKR
As a female and ZERO previous experience, I want to absorb all the info I can get. goal this year is to just get INTO elk (within 300 yrds) so I can get exposure and learn on the job. Hoyt bow. I live in the unit and with kids and a company to run, I have to hunt overnights etc so cant do the high country this year).
But would love to learn all the info and tips you have seen along the way - Thanks in advance!
Start doing some weekend scouting trips with the kids

OP
MmmKa

MmmKa

FNG
Howdy, that's awesome you are here. The best way to get started would to be read and do a lot of it. Plenty of species specific forums here. Generally a message like this wont get you much. There is a search function so if you have specific questions, chances are there are quite a few threads already on here with your answer waiting to be read. Best of luck to you!
yup - I'm doing the elk 101 class as well as rented about 10+ books from the library so I agree.... but i only know what I KNOW to know (if that makes sense) so maybe this will bring in a tip. eg: on a podcast someone mentioned that you never have 2 callers (good to know for future).

OP
MmmKa

MmmKa

FNG
A great way to set up a rock solid foundation on your elk hunting journey is to journal everything. Successes, failures, everything. Whenever I learn something new that will help me down the road on a hunt or at home e-scouting, I add it. The next thing that’s helped me is document what I find in the woods. By putting a waypoint on sign like rubs, bedding areas, travel routes, or elk you’ve seen it will start to paint that picture of how to best hunt them in an area. The last thing I’ll mention is the wealth of knowledge and information that is out there in the world of podcasts and YouTube. Look for guys like Mark Livesay, Paul Medel, Corey Jacobsen, Brian Barney, Remi Warren, and Randy Newberg (I could keep going.) They all have their own approach to hunting elk that has made them successful and are willing to share all that they know. If you have free time in your schedule, look into the “Elk 101” course. It takes you through every single phase of learning to hunt elk. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was doing the calling part of the Elk 101 course this am. Glad to hear / I'm witnessing the wealth of knowledge that outdoor class program has! Hadn't thought of the journaling part! Thanks !!!! I'll look into those podcasts specifically.

87TT

WKR
An important Thing to consider is if or when you shoot one, what now? Study the gutless method of breaking down an elk. Also they are big heavy critters. Are you prepared for the packout or do you have help?
There is also learning to follow a track and or blood trail after the shot. A roll of flagging tape can help. Marking last blood from time to time can help you see the direction the animal is traveling so if you lose the trail, it can help with a direction to look.

OP
MmmKa

MmmKa

FNG
I removed the unit number from the original post and allowing the general questions and answers to carry on.

Also deleted a few inappropriate comments and comments quoting those.

Let’s be the stand up community that we are and not completely derail and kill a thread with childish nonsense.
I'm just waiting for comments on the headline and the rokslide singles to roll in lol
my tip would be take your time, dont try to go far in and run around. you would be surprised how many elk are close to the road.
So I know that "they" say if you go at least a mile in, you'll remove 90% of the hunters.... which brings me to the question of why are they so close to the road? Think they are just so used to the smell of ppl without harm that they are desensitized-ish? or are you just referencing the oasis that is right over the hill that ppl never see bc there is a road nearby?

Scoot

WKR
Get a quality optic. The importance of quality optics can not be overstated. Get nice footwear. if you can't hike cause your feet hurt, your trip isn't worth much. Find places with good vantages that allow you to see a long way. bonus advice take notes! OnX is the best but maps and a notepad are great too.
Good optics are important if you're in an area where you can glass a lot (i.e., open country). If it's pretty thick where you're hunting, good optics are mostly just extra weight (that's not totally true, but largely). Footwear that will not eat up your feet- can't overstate the importance of that! Break them in now and now at the beginning of the season.