IT Band Issues with knee

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
So just this year I've started having terrible flare ups with my IT band and multiple months rest has not been effective. I live in NZ and we have 365 a year hunting so being of my game has been pretty depressing. Luckily its been winter and not my favorite period to be out chasing stags but spring is coming and then summer stags which is what I live for.

Has anyone had any results in solving this issue. I've had an MRI as they thought it was maybe a torn meniscus due to how fast the onset was and there wasn't any real change of intensity as last year I hunting NZ and when id usually slow down here i went stateside and hunted/scouted/hiked from August through December before coming back and getting straight into hunting here. Flare up occurred in late Feb and anytime I've put on a pack and climbed mountains since its crippled me faster and faster and side hilling is out of the question which makes it impossible to hunt the southern alps i usually hunt in.

Also interested if anyone has noticed any changes lead to issues id also be interested to know.

wapitibob

WKR
Rest never worked for me. Prednisone will work but a direct steroid injection is much better. I'm a believer in getting the juice and getting on with life. Long term, stretching and a roller are supposed to work.

P Carter

WKR
Check with a PT. IT band issues often caused by weak hips or lack of hip mobility.

This article has a tone that folks here may not like, but I think it has some very good points, most importantly that focusing just on the IT band, or knee, will not fix the issue.

Have a PT help diagnose but i can also attest that it’s possibly a hip issue. Rest, foam rolling, stretching and proper strength training should help this a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check with a PT. IT band issues often caused by weak hips or lack of hip mobility.

This article has a tone that folks here may not like, but I think it has some very good points, most importantly that focusing just on the IT band, or knee, will not fix the issue.

This 100 % 👌🏼

OP
S

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
This 100 % 👌🏼
Have you had IT band issues @B_Reynolds_AK , I'd say sheep country is closest to what we hunt here?

To clarify to everyone I've seen a PT and had an MRI for diagnosis. Initial thoughts where a torn meniscus but MRI showed it was fine and confirmed it was IT Band.

Have some stretch's to work on from PT and a few exercises due to being primarily a quad based walker and minimal glute engagement (although surprisingly my glutes weren't indicatively weak and the issues on the stronger side). I have rolled out the surrounding muscles but to very temporary relief.

I guess I'm looking for any specific exercises/stretchs people have used and actually got results from. The above article looks like a good start.

wapitibob

WKR
Aron had IT issues and I believe he's gotten past them. I haven't seen him on here in a while, you might hit him up at Kifaru to see what he did.

socoalt

WKR
Foam rolling is key. It hurts like hell when you start but keep at it. Start with a medium density foam and progress to a harder density and then a lacrosse ball. Focus on the quad muscle and hamstring along the i.t. band. Also look up the anatomy on the “tensor fasciae latae” or tfl muscle. That sucker is the culprit of a lot of I.t. band problems. (You will need either a tennis ball or lacrosse ball to get to the tfl properly). There is a YouTube channel Athleanx that explains what I am talking about really well. I’ll try to attach it. Foam rolling is one of the most painful things you will do especially at first but give it a shot 20 min a day if not 2x a day for a few weeks and check the difference. That in combination with stretching and mobility exercises will keep you pain free. And its way better than steroids and

Focus on the hip flexors! All the pain and mobility issues have their origin there. Hip flexor strengthening, stretching, and mobility work are key. Check out the 12 minute foundation work video. Just Google it. It will reprogram all the stuff you’re having issues with.

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
I have had IT band issues in the past when running a lot of miles per week. For me lifting legs once a week has tremendously helped. Back squats, single leg squats and good mornings. Plus plenty of stretching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Its almost certainly not the IT band itself that is causing you problems, rather the IT band pain/discomfort is symptomatic of something else, almost certainly at an attachment point. Since the knee as been ruled out with a MRI, one would it assume it is in the hip. Could be hip bursitis which the hip belt of your pack is exasperating, could be a host of potential causes. Does the same issue exist when you are not wearing a pack?

Austink47

WKR
Good stuff on this thread. I struggled with it for years. Stretching and foam roller per PTs recommendations helped. It really started to improve after a few months of a daily core strengthening exercises, assuming this was working hips as well. Other big change was ditching my heavy work boots and switching to a much lighter boot for daily wear.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
I was having pain on the outside of my knee (IT band) and extremely tight hamstrings. After working with PT for a while it ended up being sciatica and the IT band discomfort was just a side effect

MBAlex

Lil-Rokslider
I finally went to a PT after struggling with it for years. Rolling and stretching did nothing for me.

Determined that it was caused by a very tight hip and have been doing strength exercises and dry needling to increase mobility and strength. I wish I did this 8 years ago.

Your IT band isn’t something that can be rolled out.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Have you had IT band issues @B_Reynolds_AK , I'd say sheep country is closest to what we hunt here?

To clarify to everyone I've seen a PT and had an MRI for diagnosis. Initial thoughts where a torn meniscus but MRI showed it was fine and confirmed it was IT Band.

Have some stretch's to work on from PT and a few exercises due to being primarily a quad based walker and minimal glute engagement (although surprisingly my glutes weren't indicatively weak and the issues on the stronger side). I have rolled out the surrounding muscles but to very temporary relief.

I guess I'm looking for any specific exercises/stretchs people have used and actually got results from. The above article looks like a good start.
Deadlifts—Stiff-Legged and Romanian. Nordic curls, banded or regular leg curls, and Adductor exercises. Hip thrusts are good, but do them in a 1 1/2 rep or pulse style for maximum benefit. Stretching the IT band is just about impossible.

Poser

WKR
Also, if you have something going on in your glutes or the lumbar area of your spine, Reverse Hypers can be a practical application if you have access to the machine. Its likley the only movement you'll do in the gym where you'll (safely) get loaded traction in the spine, resulting in synovial fluid getting better distributed between the vertebrae. It will also strengthen the glutes and lower back area in a fairy targeted manner. It will differ from doing back extensions since you'll actually have some spinal flexion and its easier to load.