Issues with stability on my bow hand

3forks

WKR
My gosh that's a tiny bow. That could be the problem. A longer ATA bow will be much more stable, and much easier to shoot.
That’s the first thing I noticed, too.

When I previously stated that you can’t buy accuracy and improvement, I should have stated that you can buy improvement if what you’re currently shooting is not a good fit or you have the wrong equipment. As 5milesBack mentioned, a longer ATA bow will provide you with a much better platform for stability and string angle.

I can’t tell enough from the video to give you some pointers, and even then - I’m not a coach and would hedge on telling you what to correct.

Besides coaching, I would advise anyone to buy from a archery specific pro shop with staff that will invest the time with you to make sure you’re getting a bow that gives you the ability to shoot with the correct form. Big box stores almost never will have the staff that can get you set up correctly, and trying to save a few bucks on a sale bow (unless you know what you need) can cost more money in the long run because you’re going to find out your equipment is limiting you. It’s essentially like buying a shoe that is too big or too small…

You will probably be able to shoot the current bow you have with more stability after you get stronger, but again, it’s short. I would go back to the store you got that bow from and mention the stability issue you want to correct and ask them about the benefits of a longer ATA bow. If the store says the bow they sold you is fine, or doesn’t want to try and help you, I certainly wouldn’t be getting any more coaching from them on your shot because they are probably only a little more knowledgable about archery as you are, or just wanted to make a sale on bow that isn’t a good platform for you.

OP
CarlitoElPipo
I realize you probably only have a few feet to shoot in your back yard but-

Draw level and bend at the waist, that will help your shot process in this instance. Try and get a video of you shooting at a further target and that should help as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, it was late at night and I had a couple drinks so I wanted to get a quick video on my posture and lay down.

I have a video of myself at the range shooting but its the opposite side that I recorded it from.

OP
CarlitoElPipo
That’s the first thing I noticed, too.

When I previously stated that you can’t buy accuracy and improvement, I should have stated that you can buy improvement if what you’re currently shooting is not a good fit or you have the wrong equipment. As 5milesBack mentioned, a longer ATA bow will provide you with a much better platform for stability and string angle.

I can’t tell enough from the video to give you some pointers, and even then - I’m not a coach and would hedge on telling you what to correct.

Besides coaching, I would advise anyone to buy from a archery specific pro shop with staff that will invest the time with you to make sure you’re getting a bow that gives you the ability to shoot with the correct form. Big box stores almost never will have the staff that can get you set up correctly, and trying to save a few bucks on a sale bow (unless you know what you need) can cost more money in the long run because you’re going to find out your equipment is limiting you. It’s essentially like buying a shoe that is too big or too small…

You will probably be able to shoot the current bow you have with more stability after you get stronger, but again, it’s short. I would go back to the store you got that bow from and mention the stability issue you want to correct and ask them about the benefits of a longer ATA bow. If the store says the bow they sold you is fine, or doesn’t want to try and help you, I certainly wouldn’t be getting any more coaching from them on your shot because they are probably only a little more knowledgable about archery as you are, or just wanted to make a sale on bow that isn’t a good platform for you.
So I have a blackout nv-3, my friend works at bass pro so we get 50% off all brands that are cabela owned. I had used his bow prior and enjoyed it so I purchased that one.

I definitely am expecting to buy more bows in the near future to obviously get something a bit more tuned to my body since I didn't know the small things I do now.

Is ATA just a longer bow? Im looking into it now.

So I have a blackout nv-3, my friend works at bass pro so we get 50% off all brands that are cabela owned. I had used his bow prior and enjoyed it so I purchased that one.

I definitely am expecting to buy more bows in the near future to obviously get something a bit more tuned to my body since I didn't know the small things I do now.

Is ATA just a longer bow? Im looking into it now.

ATA is axel to axel. Looks like the specs on your bow it’s a 33” ata which at your draw length isn’t bad. Yes a longer bow will feel more stable, but you’re not shooting a kids bow by any means.

I’d say you’re on the right track. Maybe back your poundage down for awhile and practice that way to gain muscle/muscle memory. Are you sure your draw length is properly setup?

OP
CarlitoElPipo
ATA is axel to axel. Looks like the specs on your bow it’s a 33” ata which at your draw length isn’t bad. Yes a longer bow will feel more stable, but you’re not shooting a kids bow by any means.

I’d say you’re on the right track. Maybe back your poundage down for awhile and practice that way to gain muscle/muscle memory. Are you sure your draw length is properly setup?

Definitely, I had a guy who owns an archery shop set it up for me, highly recommended by about everyone in my area. I’m definitely looking for an upgrade but far in the future.

I love my bow, it’s really comfortable and it’s my first bow so obviously I’m gonna make it work lol, I can see how back tension can help me keep it stable by putting more force on the back end but my release is triggered off of back tension, so wouldn’t it be something I don’t want to do to trigger the release? I believe my front hand grip is good, but maybe my arm isn’t bending or I’m possibly raising my shoulder. I’ll be taking another video over the weekend when I’m at the range hopefully it’ll help you help me.

Thank you!

tdoublev

FNG
Not a coach - the angle of your shot in the video is a difficult one on its own. From what I saw, you used your hips and shoulders to lower your bow most of the way and then lowered only your front arm to get the last bit. That will make it unstable. And your follow through seemed to pull away higher than parallel with your arrow. In other words, did not pull straight back. Again - the angle of your shot with that target was tough but if that applies to your level shots too, then those aren’t helping.