Issue with new SEVR heads?

Buffalomtn

Lil-Rokslider
One problem with the Sevr’s is that if they impact something hard like center punching a rib it can cause the blades to close and lock closed. Videos on YouTube showing exactly that. Even John Lusk admits that after each shot through the MDF in his tests he has to pry the blades back open. Another potential issue is that with the blades so close to the tip they can deflect or plane along a rib. A few years back I used them on a few hogs and they worked great. Decided to use them on deer and had one that closed up going through a rib and another on a broadside shot hit a rib about 1/3 up and basically rode up the rib and exited the back, never entering the chest cavity. Both deer were ultimately recovered and a careful post mortem showed what was described above. The first case had a large entry on the hide and very small cut through the lungs and small exit hole and the blades were locked shut laying in grass. The second deer was shot a couple of weeks later.
In both cases it would be unlikely to replicate these results which explains why they are loved by so many.

Pramo

WKR
My experiences are similar, some arrow paths I didn't expect or want through an animal that would not happen with normal non pivoting blades. I'm not an anti-expandable guy I have used a bunch of shwackers, hypodermics, rocket/nap 3 blades with great predictable results. Sevr's are a good head and like the materials and blades just don't like the pivoting and potential of failure. Worst case with a hypodermic style head or shwacker is a 1 inch cut