Island Park, ID archery

Okhotnik

WKR
Im going to be hunting Island park unit in Idaho. combo of tree stand and some hiking calling. Its a fun unit with decent elk numbers and they're somewhat amenable calling. Ive hunted it before with buddies but they didn't draw this year so hunting alone

I have an area fairly well figured out. Anyway anyone else hunting this unit? Ill be hunting last two weeks of season. Be kind of nice to have a few contacts in the unit due to the high numbers of bear. lol.

I’ve talked to quite a few guys that aren’t even willing to hunt it due to bears. One was a big group of guys from Florida.

Alexn

FNG
I've hunted it five times ,there are bears everywhere in that unit but seems to me eastern side of the unit i had more encounters with bears

If you're going to hunt that unit, your head needs to be on a swivel, 2 years ago I called in a giant grizzly to 10 yards. Luckily, I spotted him before he spotted me, pulled my 10MM but he turned around and went the way he came. Like someone mentioned above, there are bears all over that area and every year you see more. They really need to be hunted.

TheTone

WKR
I was lucky I guess and hunted it for years and never saw a grizz. Only saw two black bears even during that time. I will be honest that I selected areas with good visibility and where I thought bear encounters were less likely. I also hunted way more mornings than afternoons. For some reason my brain was more okay hiking in in the dark vs walking out in the dark

OP
Okhotnik

Okhotnik

WKR
If you're going to hunt that unit, your head needs to be on a swivel, 2 years ago I called in a giant grizzly to 10 yards. Luckily, I spotted him before he spotted me, pulled my 10MM but he turned around and went the way he came. Like someone mentioned above, there are bears all over that area and every year you see more. They really need to be hunted.
Oh I know Ive run into bears there. There are grizzly studies signs in the woods too

Oh I know Ive run into bears there. There are grizzly studies signs in the woods too
Yep, I have seen the studies every year warning to stay out of the area. I have also saw signs on trailheads warning of recent aggressive Grizzly activity, one even indicated a bowhunter had been charged. They are no joke.

OP
Okhotnik

Okhotnik

WKR
Yep, I have seen the studies every year warning to stay out of the area. I have also saw signs on trailheads warning of recent aggressive Grizzly activity, one even indicated a bowhunter had been charged. They are no joke.
that's why ill be tree stand hunting not far from camp

Alexn

FNG
If you're worried about the bears stay away from Sawtell mountain, one of my buddies was charged by a grizzly and had to spray it, and few days later another hunter was charged by a grizzly and he shot and killed it. Might have been the same bear but who knows

I own a cabin in Island Park, truth be told they are everywhere. We had one in our driveway 3 years ago; neighbor caught it on his trail cam. There is always Grizzly sign, sightings etc., more so than black bears. They are starting to crack down on folks not securing their trash correctly, I always have mine inside the garage until I get a chance to run it to the landfill.

If you're worried about the bears stay away from Sawtell mountain, one of my buddies was charged by a grizzly and had to spray it, and few days later another hunter was charged by a grizzly and he shot and killed it. Might have been the same bear but who knows
It's all of the Centennial Range, not just that one mountain. The mountains east of Island Park toward Yellowstone are no better. They are everywhere. We have interactions in our yard every year.

Jangula28

FNG
Im going to be hunting Island park unit in Idaho. combo of tree stand and some hiking calling. Its a fun unit with decent elk numbers and they're somewhat amenable calling. Ive hunted it before with buddies but they didn't draw this year so hunting alone

I have an area fairly well figured out. Anyway anyone else hunting this unit? Ill be hunting last two weeks of season. Be kind of nice to have a few contacts in the unit due to the high numbers of bear. lol.
Hey man I’ll also be hunting it solo. In the same situation with buddies not able to get a tag. It’s my first year in IP but I went and did some scouting and have killed elk in other states so definitely not new to the game and am confident in my ability. I’ll be there the 10-30th if you want to exchange info I’m definitely up for that. Be nice for packing/sharing info and helping each other out.

Bear hunting this year I saw three grizzlies. A few years back I was about 4 mi back by myself and ran right into a grizzly. It ended well thankfully.

CorbLand

WKR
I own a cabin in Island Park, truth be told they are everywhere. We had one in our driveway 3 years ago; neighbor caught it on his trail cam. There is always Grizzly sign, sightings etc., more so than black bears. They are starting to crack down on folks not securing their trash correctly, I always have mine inside the garage until I get a chance to run it to the landfill.
Family owns a cabin there as well. Been going since I was 6 months old. Never did we really have to worry to much about trash, kids running all over hell on bikes, etc. Had a few black bears around over the years. Now, we never leave trash outside and I dont know that I would let kids run free like we did.

We are down on IP Reservoir and they have killed/trapped 3 in the last couple years within a couple miles. Plenty of sightings as well. Was up there last week, just my wife and I and I didnt even want to go fish where we normally do because of the number of grizzlys that have been seen there.

2 years ago and it's getting worse now. Head on a swivel and have your gun close. Wouldn't catch me solo out there now. I live a few hours away and I fly fish the area yearly and have my 10mm handy but being in the water I feel a greater sense of safety and feel the bear can't sneak in on me. Hunting is a different animal.
1000043231.jpg