Is your life revolving around your upcoming Elk hunt?

Maxhunter

WKR
I started hunting elk when I was 13yrs old and now I’m almost 64. Think about elk 24/7. Love the whole process. It’s an addictive habit.

waspocrew

WKR
While I enjoy hunting elk, my life definitely doesn’t revolve around the upcoming hunt. I hunt the same unit annually and have it figured out pretty well, so not much scouting until right before the season.

id450

WKR
Yes. Drew 3 tags this year, plus my daughters . LE in Utah is keeping me up all night and preoccupied all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NMT

BK12

FNG
Yes, I drew my first legitimate archery elk tag in New Mexico. I'm anxious for the trip and obsessed with shooting my bow everyday, rucking, exercising, etc. Between all the prepping I'm trying to focus on family and work.

Weldor

WKR
Lots of excitement and probably higher expectation, I know it is a slim chance, but I think try and fail is better than wishing I did.
We live in lower elevation around 600 - 800 feet, and no where for us to train for higher elevation,
not sure how hard it will be to move between 9-10K feet in the early season?
Hope meds (Acetazolamide) helps.
You should be fine, don't worry so much about the elevation your going to make yourself sick. LOL. I can give you a great example. In my younger years we went to Colorado bowhunting Elk. I live at 3500 ft. We hunted between 9000 and 11000, never been there before. My hunting buddy who was really out of shape at 35 and myself not in perfect shape either did just fine . Took it easy the first two days ,killed Elk on the third and fifth day with alot of packing and we survived. No alitude sickness at all. Bring a fishing pole .

Every day I wake up at 5am grab my head lamp, water and headphones, And get my 10k miles plus steps in, Some days I have 50lbs on my back other days just a water bottle.

Does my life evolve around elk no, but my fitness level damn sure does. I’d weight 550 if I didn’t archery elk hunt

Dannybow

FNG
Entering 5 years bow hunting elk in NE WA and have never harvested an animal; yet somehow I'm becoming more obsessive. You'd think I'd learn...

I hunt elk every year and my life still revolves around elk hunting.

In terms if getting in shape and hiking. You can't possibly hike enough to be prepared for a tough elk hunt. The hardest things I've physically done have been elk hunting.

The big thing people miss about training to hunt is they don't train every day. If you train every other day preparing for a hunt, your body is going to be expecting a day of rest every other day. 6 weeks before your hunt I would, hike, run, stair master, or do some kind of cardio every single day.

Edit... sorry I missed the elevation part. I don't know the right answer but I'll tell you this. I live at 5k feet. I normally hunt between 6k and 9k feet and am in really good shape. When I get above 10k feet I struggle to catch my breath, regardless of how good of shape I'm in.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the training tip, Much appreciated !