Is your life revolving around your upcoming Elk hunt?

Nope, it is just something to do every year, I get more excited over mule deer and way more excited about sheep and goats. Hell, I probably enjoy hunting prairie dogs as much as elk.
Buuuuut, you have an elk in your avatar. Come on, admit it. You really love elk hunting more. You're among friends here LOL

No.
Always excited for hunting season when it gets close, but way too many things to do to get stuck on one thing.

rclouse79

WKR
I hope it is normal because it happens to me every July. I try to do at least one shooting session and one workout each day. Just got back from a backpacking trip with the family. I carried far more than my fair share of the weight which made everyone happy. I need to do more backpack style preparation. Longer lower intensity activity is a better simulation for my typical archery elk hunt. It definitely makes me a different type of fatigued than the standard shorter higher intensity workouts.

WCB

WKR
Nope...2 kids and 3rd on the way in Nov. My Elk tag is a general MT tag along with also having a general MT deer tag and a moose hunt in Alberta end of Sept. Throw in a late season archery hut in ND late Dec/1st week of Jan. and I got more than just and elk hunt to worry about.

Minus the kid I always have 3-4 or more out of state big game hunts planned plus upland or waterfowl. "Planned" on spending a solid week archery hunting elk in MT this year then heading to Alberta or hitting MT on the way back from Moose hunting. Then head out to MT end of Nov to chase mule Deer. Found out kid is due Thanksgiving week and now trying to squeeze in two weeks of rifle hunting in MT from opener to at the latest like Nov15th as the last day I could hunt (all depends on how the pregnancy goes). But it is what it is. As of right now from End of Sept to mid Nov Ill be hunting 3+ weeks out of state and then whenever I can around where I live chasing Whitetails. That is normal at minimum 2-3 sits a week so can't complain.

Last edited:
No. Going back to a unit I successfully hunted in 2022. Too far to scout but confident enough that I will find elk again.

Most of my time and thoughts revolve around my upcoming caribou hunt!

I haven't shot my bow since November 11th. Not because I don't want to, just not a priority compared to other stuff going on this summer. I'll try to 'buckle down' in August. My body is going to hate me in September.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
My life revolves around hunting period. Luckily this year I get to throw in an Elk hunt. As far as getting in shape for this hunt I'm also always working out. I do Crossfit 4 nights a week and a regular gym workout the other 3 nights. What I've added in this year is a good bit of rucking with a 35lb weighted vest. I do 3-5 miles 2-3 times a week. Now as far as hunting goes my season starts with Labor Day weekend dove hunting and then the next weekend bow season starts for deer. We can Deer hunt till the end of December here in NC and I spend at least 1 day most every weekend in the woods. I also duck hunt so I'm spending time in a duck blind until the end of Jan. After Deer and Duck season early spring Turkey kicks off and last till the end of May usually. Basically from September through the end of May I'm hunting something. In the off season I'm working my deer lease getting ready for opening day the next September. Thank God my Wife is fine with it all!

Jon Boy

WKR
This isn't really a hobby for me, as it's what I have built my life around because of the total enjoyment I get from it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I can resemble this remark… from where I live, to what I do for work, to how I spend my money and lastly how aggressive I am financially to ‘retire’ sooner to hunt more elk. I really do enjoy hunting other species and sure wish the elk hunting addiction would break loose one of these days but until that tag is filled I focus on nothing else. Last year, I filled my last elk tag on the very last day of season. So no other hunting occurred haha

Flazyj

FNG
I live around 5600’, seems me and my hunting buddies are pretty good until about 10,500’.
After that it gets pretty hard to settle in hiking a lot until you have acclimated over a few days.
Make sure to stay hydrated it’s easy to not drink enough water especially if it’s not that warm.

Being my first time, yea pretty excited and definitely high on the rotation of fun stuff to do. Family, kids, work all come first though.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
My life doesn't revolve around elk hunting but it is a huge part of it. It's what I do in October. I train all year to be fit mostly for hunting but also for my quality of life. Most of my purchases are hunting related such as my used 4 runner and clothing. I look forward to meals that involve elk or other game meat but just getting out and up in the mountains is sometimes enough for me as it's a time for refreshing mentally, whether I'm successful or not. Serving the Lord Jesus Christ is my first priority, then my wife then the church, work, etc. I do get very excited for the season though and Rokslide helps that excitement tremendously.....

JK47

Lil-Rokslider
No. I do shoot a lot in preparation, but I shoot a lot because I love shooting. Bow and guns. I think about my elk and deer hunts, but I got so much more pressing stuff to sweat. Even had crap pile into the first couple weeks of September. Last 2 weeks I’ll be in the woods.

Jaker_cc

WKR
My life revolves around my next hunt in general. If I have an elk tag then I’m zero percent worried about hunting anything else until I’m done elk hunting. My wife is the same way. If she’s got a tag don’t even bother her about turkeys or whitetail.

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Yes… all I think about is hunting, especially elk. Hunting has been my life for as long as I can remember. It’s a passion for sure and I tend to obsess over things I get into. This will be my second year out elk hunting and first year of archery. I have trained more this year and started to incorporate it into my everyday, my favorite is to throw a pack on and burn some rubber. Mostly on flat land but I try and hit the mountains as much as possible. I just sold a project truck so I could buy a 4Runner specifically for elk hunting in the Colorado mountains. I’ll be heading up to check out spots and scout this weekend. Started breaking in the new boots today at work.

505Wapiti

WKR
Laughed out loud as I read the title… absolutely every time no matter what tag I have. Deer for me and elk for both my boys. The answer is yes to all three now.

I love elk hunting and bowhunting. But my life doesn't revolve around it. There are more important things in life. God, family and country. Elk falls in behind that somewhere amidst a few other things I love to do.

Erebor

FNG
I haven't shot my bow since November 11th. Not because I don't want to, just not a priority compared to other stuff going on this summer. I'll try to 'buckle down' in August. My body is going to hate me in September.
I know the feeling, too much to do and too little time.