Is your life revolving around your upcoming Elk hunt?

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
For fellows who were awarded Elk tags, do you feel your life revolves around: plan -> review -> what if -> plan -> review -> what if.... is this normal?
Another question about hiking up, what is an average acceptable elevation gain for a healthy person? I know it all depends on acclimatization and fitness, but for someone who is not trail runner.

Thanks in advance

grfox92

WKR
I hunt elk every year and my life still revolves around elk hunting.

In terms if getting in shape and hiking. You can't possibly hike enough to be prepared for a tough elk hunt. The hardest things I've physically done have been elk hunting.

The big thing people miss about training to hunt is they don't train every day. If you train every other day preparing for a hunt, your body is going to be expecting a day of rest every other day. 6 weeks before your hunt I would, hike, run, stair master, or do some kind of cardio every single day.

Edit... sorry I missed the elevation part. I don't know the right answer but I'll tell you this. I live at 5k feet. I normally hunt between 6k and 9k feet and am in really good shape. When I get above 10k feet I struggle to catch my breath, regardless of how good of shape I'm in.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Nope, it is just something to do every year, I get more excited over mule deer and way more excited about sheep and goats. Hell, I probably enjoy hunting prairie dogs as much as elk.

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt elk every year and my life still revolves around elk hunting.

In terms if getting in shape and hiking. You can't possibly hike enough to be prepared for a tough elk hunt. The hardest things I've physically done have been elk hunting.

The big thing people miss about training to hunt is they don't train every day. If you train every other day preparing for a hunt, your body is going to be expecting a day of rest every other day. 6 weeks before your hunt I would, hike, run, stair master, or do some kind of cardio every single day.

Edit... sorry I missed the elevation part. I don't know the right answer but I'll tell you this. I live at 5k feet. I normally hunt between 6k and 9k feet and am in really good shape. When I get above 10k feet I struggle to catch my breath, regardless of how good of shape I'm in.

Lots of excitement and probably higher expectation, I know it is a slim chance, but I think try and fail is better than wishing I did.
We live in lower elevation around 600 - 800 feet, and no where for us to train for higher elevation,
not sure how hard it will be to move between 9-10K feet in the early season?
Hope meds (Acetazolamide) helps.

grfox92

WKR
Lots of excitement and probably higher expectation, I know it is a slim chance, but I think try and fail is better than wishing I did.
We live in lower elevation around 600 - 800 feet, and no where for us to train for higher elevation,

Yea not sure. Like I said I can run up and down the mountains 6k-9k but the more I go over 10k the harder it is for me to breath. My hunting partner, while younger, doesn't seem to be affected by the change in elevation.

For fellows who were awarded Elk tags, do you feel your life revolves around: plan -> review -> what if -> plan -> review -> what if

I got super lucky and drew a primo, difficult to draw, bull elk tag in AZ this year, but no, my life isn't revolving around that upcoming hunt.

WKR
I don't think the meds will do anything to increase your cardiovascular ability. When I lived in the midwest I'd climb high school bleachers with a loaded pack. You could find a very steep hill in your area, or a building with 10 flights of steps. Anything that works your legs and lungs.

I hate hearing people say nothing helps over 10,000 feet. A guy who worked his tail off is going to recover faster than a guy that just worried about his equipment and didn't work hard prior to season. There are still 6-8 weeks before most seasons start.

Grab a pack, and start working on climbing. It will pay off.

Jaquomo

WKR
Elk, moose, and deer prep, plus elk and deer for my wife, is my focus now. And fitness to prep for an upcoming marathon for an "old guy".