Is Rokslide Wrong About Leupolds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though impossible to know I’d think, but I’d be curious to know how many leupolds are in cycle vs these “top brands”

I for one would never spend NF $$ on a scope, nor would anyone I hunt or shoot with.

If there are 10x the leupolds (I suspect that’s a fraction of the actual number) then the top brands, doesn’t it make sense there would be more failures?

Plz don’t bring up this drop test, this is the internet full of strangers don’t forget.
Serious question - if testing done by strangers is suspect or otherwise not to be trusted because they are strangers, is other feedback from strangers on RS somehow different?

I always wonder how many of the "never lost zero" guys fail to count the times that they adjust a few clicks. Whether that adjustment comes as a preseason check, they bought some different ammo, or just the change in one ammunition lot to lot over time.
Do you expect the POI to always remain the same in these instances ? If not, then aren't adjustments necessary?

Serious question - if testing done by strangers is suspect or otherwise not to be trusted because they are strangers, is other feedback from strangers on RS somehow different?
No difference whatsoever, which is why I go to the bank with my own personal results, not something I've read about. Seems most out there nowadays have some sort of agenda anyway.

I always wonder how many of the "never lost zero" guys fail to count the times that they adjust a few clicks. Whether that adjustment comes as a preseason check, they bought some different ammo, or just the change in one ammunition lot to lot over time.

Besides that, the older duplex reticles that I have seen/used are so thick that I would have trouble saying whether the zero wandered or not. They're simply too bold for actual precision.
They simply don’t understand what we mean. They don’t expect the same level of precision.
Though impossible to know I’d think, but I’d be curious to know how many leupolds are in cycle vs these “top brands”

I for one would never spend NF $$ on a scope, nor would anyone I hunt or shoot with.

If there are 10x the leupolds (I suspect that’s a fraction of the actual number) then the top brands, doesn’t it make sense there would be more failures?

Plz don’t bring up this drop test, this is the internet full of strangers don’t forget.
Nightforce SHV and Trijicons scopes are both about the same price as the leupolds most people are using for long range and the SWFA is much cheaper. There’s plenty of dependable options at leupold price point or cheaper. Price of an optic has no correlation with it’s dependability.

Last edited:

For sure “rate” of failure needs numbers and objective verification. Ive personally had 3 out of 4 leupy scopes fail to reliably hold zero, the most recent one verified and repaired by leupold this past summer. For me, from only the Leupold scopes Ive personally owned, the failure rate was 75%, which is why I gave up on them. I give the drop tests here more credence perhaps because where the tests and my experience overlap, the results are well-aligned. If my personal experience was different, Im sure Id feel differently. At this point I feel I have a lot more to lose by ignoring the drop evals than I do by considering them, though.

Curious in the cost thing though that you wouldnt spend nightforce $. For me a nightforce shv is no more $ than a vx5, and a nx8 is comparable to a vx6. A trijicon credo 3-9 (which has done reasonably well under the testing here for whatever its worth) at street price is comparable to a vx3. So for me I have good options that are +\- the same price at every level. Are prices so different in canada?

Do you expect the POI to always remain the same in these instances ? If not, then aren't adjustments necessary?

I would expect a change in POI by changing ammunition.

If the scope has been adjusted for any reason, it invalidates the mantra of never having been re-zeroed in my opinion.

I am not suggesting your scopes don't work for you. I do believe that many people overlook small adjustments over time.

Even looking at the drop tests, many of those changes don't matter at the range most people shoot and would likely go unnoticed.

Any feedback from someone you don’t know should be taken with a big grain of salt imo. If the testers were well known through’s the industry and not just RS, maybe that grain of salt would shrink.

Reactions: BLJ
I would expect a change in POI by changing ammunition.

If the scope has been adjusted for any reason, it invalidates the mantra of never having been re-zeroed in my opinion.
Isn't this rather contradictory? I'm NOT talking about my scopes, just scopes in general.

Isn't this rather contradictory? I'm NOT talking about my scopes, just scopes in general.

I don't believe it is.

If a person makes adjustments over time, for any reason, it obscures the ability to track performance.

I wonder about these things for myself regularly. Was it an "off" day for me? Am I not accounting for some unnoticed wind or mirage? It's why I rarely adjust my stuff once I am confident in it.

I don't believe it is.

If a person makes adjustments over time, for any reason, it obscures the ability to track performance.

I wonder about these things for myself regularly. Was it an "off" day for me? Am I not accounting for some unnoticed wind or mirage? It's why I rarely adjust my stuff once I am confident in it.
I believe it is contradictory, but that's fine. 100% agree with your bolded assessment though. Nobody dopes the wind reliably every shot fired. I've seen this proven time and time again up in Canadian, TX by proven experts. There's no shame in it at all.

For sure “rate” of failure needs numbers and objective verification. Ive personally had 3 out of 4 leupy scopes fail to reliably hold zero, the most recent one verified and repaired by leupold this past summer. For me, from only the Leupold scopes Ive personally owned, the failure rate was 75%, which is why I gave up on them.

Curious in the cost thing though that you wouldnt spend nightforce $. For me a nightforce shv is no more $ than a vx5, and a nx8 is comparable to a vx6. A trijicon credo 3-9 (which has done reasonably well under the testing here for whatever its worth) at street price is comparable to a vx3. Sonfor me I have good options that are +\- the same price at every level. Are prices so different in canada?

You know, I just received my first failed leupold (vxiii 2.5-8x36) bought second hand, it showed up with the reticle off kilter. I do not know the life it lived before I got it though.

Optics are a lot spendier up here for sure, then add 12% tax and usually crazy shipping costs (thanks to Trudy’s carbon tax). The only brand that I can see cheaper in the states is leupold ( on average, I could save upward of $500 on a used vx5 compared to buying used in Canada), any other brand seems to have a lot more value added to it over here.

The shv would be a great candidate, and have looked at them a bit, they can be had for a bit cheaper then the vx5hd, but lacks in a couple places for my personal preference, clarity, reticle, capped turrets. To jump into a nxs or nx8, puts it over the vx5 by a ways, plus added weight. The new model leicas, I have not seen up here yet, but am curious to see once they do show up. The swfa’s, we don’t see either, I wish we did.

Iv bought 1 vx5 ($2500 cad), which was pushing my budget on a scope by a lot. I personally don’t think I would spend that much again, only because I see the no added value for my uses.

Serious question, what if anything do these targets tell an experienced shooter? The target is a 1.25” bull and 2.75” diamond. All 4 were shot with the same rifle and ammo from the same bench at the same 100 yard range. The rifle gets pulled from the safe, set in the back seat of the truck and driven 13 miles to the range. The 10 shots on each target are shot 10 in a row without a break. The rifle is set in the back seat of the truck, returned home and put in the safe.

Attachments

• IMG_6185.jpeg
    IMG_6185.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6184.jpeg
    IMG_6184.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6183.jpeg
    IMG_6183.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6182.jpeg
    IMG_6182.jpeg