Is one full day at 10,000 feet enough to acclimate for a flatlander?

croben

Lil-Rokslider
It’s really dependent on the person. One day might be enough, or it might not be enough. It can take a couple days to a couple weeks to acclimate to higher elevation for some people. I would say get there as early as you can, but don’t plan to hunt hard right from the beginning as that might wreck your whole hunt. See how your body reacts and go from there. We hunted Colorado a few years ago. We camped around 8,600 feet and hunted multiple days at 10,000+ feet of elevation. Luckily, none of us were affected by it.

If you're asking if an entire day of driving around at 10k and not hiking will help you acclimatize then yes it definitely will help. Unless I'm not understanding the question correctly.

Backyard

WKR
I went straight to 10k from 780’ every year. Only had a problem 1 time.
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate in the couple day prior to leaving and on the drive out. Then keep it up when you get there.
I would arrive about noon, take my time setting up camp, then take a short hike near camp to help get my “mountain lungs”. The first couple days I would take it easy hunting, then increase the miles and intensity as the week progressed. All the while staying hydrated. Worked great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7sdad

FNG
I go from 600 ft to 12,000 ft in one day but that doesn't mean it's good, My head always hurts the next day but then I'm good after that. Funny thing about altitude is it can not bother you several trips and then the next time you go it'll get ya. You can get Diamox that can help.

My plan is to drive to CO from MO, to Silverthorne where I'll stay the rest of the day, then up to camp at 10k the next morning. There I'll just be driving around and glassing a bit. Is that whole next day enough time to acclimate and be ready to hunt hard the following(opening) day?
So when i used to live at 900ft i would take a hotel at around 3000' second day arrive at camp (9700') after 24hr in camp i was just OK. altitude is a dangerous thing. ive heard stories about people doing some crazy stuff when they are affected by it. Be mindful and make sure to have "Help"

Backyard

WKR
This thread is great! I am most amazed that people buy those little gimmick O2 cans… now I know who buys them thank you

Was just out in Co a week ago. VRBO for a week in Keystone 9750’. Went up Evans & Pikes & numerous 12k+ passes, I saw quite a few tourists with those cans. Haha!
BTW neither wife or I had a problem at all the entire trip. Hydration…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7mm-08

WKR
Every individual is different and the result is not predictable. It is very clear that patience and extra time at increasingly higher altitudes, especially during sleep cycles, are good things.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
As stated, it depends on the person. I’m from damn near sea level. Last year hunted at 10k. We drove all day and got to “town” late at night. Town was at 7k. Spent the night, messed around all the next day, spent the next night, and left town before lunch headed up. I think it helped a ton. Had some diamox just in case but never used. Ran around the mountain and packed 2 out with no issues.

OP
stretch866
As stated, it depends on the person. I’m from damn near sea level. Last year hunted at 10k. We drove all day and got to “town” late at night. Town was at 7k. Spent the night, messed around all the next day, spent the next night, and left town before lunch headed up. I think it helped a ton. Had some diamox just in case but never used. Ran around the mountain and packed 2 out with no issues.
Whats the recommendation on how to use Diamox? Some folks say just take it pre-emptively and some when they experience symptoms. But if I have sympotms shouldnt I be getting down the mountain anyway? Just curious your opinion.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Many years ago a survivalist trainer with the USAF in Colorado Springs would give seminars in Denver to the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society about high altitude hunting. One thing he recommended was to start eating TUMS antacids several times a day a week or two before heading into the high country along with staying hydrated . Our group of 3-4 hunters have been doing this since. Seems to help. Was wondering if this is still viable and recommended? Anyone in the medical community have any comments?

Eat clean and hydrate until the constant peeing annoys you. I live at 4,500 but if I don’t drink enough water and go to 9500-11000 and go a little too hard I can feel it. Never terrible but I can only imagine coming from 0-2,000 foot could cause issues

WKR
When I lived at 300ft, I would drive as far as I could and sleep in the truck for a few hours at around 6k. I would then get to my campsite at 10K, set up camp and rest that day. Hike/scout the next morning and hunt the following with no problems up to 12k. I stayed hydrated as best as I could and I never had a problem.

ColeyG

WKR
Whats the recommendation on how to use Diamox? Some folks say just take it pre-emptively and some when they experience symptoms. But if I have sympotms shouldnt I be getting down the mountain anyway? Just curious your opinion.

Start taking 1/2 dose (125mg) a day or two before you plan to sleep at a higher elevation.

Continue for a day or two after you've moved to your highest altitude or as you continue to move higher.

Most should be able to lay off it a day or two after sleeping well at their highest altitude while remaining asymptomatic for AMS.

If you wait to take it until after you start feeling like crap, altitude already has its hooks in your and it may be too late to get the max benefit from the Diamox. Diamox, in short, makes you breathe more and so you want to have ramped up your breathing on the way to higher altitude rather than after you are there.

Acclimating at 10,000 feet takes > 2 weeks (to FULLY acclimate AKA develop new mature RBC's and increase plasma HGB). The majority of fit people will feel fine after spending 2-3 nights at elevation, with the exception you will get winded (much) more easily.

Your plan to spend a night in Silverthorne sounds pretty reasonable. Regardless, you may not be able to "go hard" the following day. If you do experience symptoms of AMS, the only solution is to drop elevation.

satchamo

WKR
I live at like 500 ft. I’ve traveled and hunted a dozen times in CO, WY and NM at altitudes varying from 6000-12000. I’ve never once taken specific time to acclimate. But I don’t get in a hurry. Ever. Don’t go out there and think you’re cam Hanes and you’ll be fine. A lot of it is based on genetics and baseline health and I’m not obese but def not a model athlete.

No matter how much you acclimate, you’ll be sucking air through a straw lol. I’m not saying don’t take altitude sickness serious - educate yourself, but don’t over concern yourself with it. Know your limits and you’ll be good.

Mikido

WKR
After ruining my first hunt out west by not taking altitude seriously, I did a bunch of research. Most people don’t know what they’re talking about, and only give anecdotal evidence. Plenty of podcasts out there with good info.

I acclimate 3 days, hiking high, sleeping low, progressively, while taking díamox. Do your research

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Funny how some associate no or little altitude sickness with macho bravado stuff. It's not a tough or not tough test, yes fitness can play a role, but it really is a case by case basis. Hydration is the only remedy I have found to be foolproof, along with time on target. Never tried the Rx meds.