Is my barrel f-ed?

I just got done cleaning and scoping my first browning barrel for a buddy, finally found one worse than savage! Tons of tooling marks and pitting throughout the barrel. Savage if seen lots of tooling marks but the steel was clean.

And everyone thinks a cleaning rod can damage a barrel. If your cleaning rod will put a scratch in your barrel then I’d hate to think what a bullet would do!

Sled

WKR
And everyone thinks a cleaning rod can damage a barrel. If your cleaning rod will put a scratch in your barrel then I’d hate to think what a bullet would do!

It happens. Steel rod, copper brush with grit, excessive crown damage from not using a guide... Take your pick. It's usually a strong desire to do something mixed with ignorance. We've all learned lessons the hard way at some point in life.

MattB

WKR
To the OP, if you were Browning CS and someone called you and said "I bore scoped my barrel, found marks in it, and I would like you to replace it", you asked them "how does it shoot?" and their answer was "I don't know" - how would you react?

I think re-reading Ryan Avery's comment a few times is your best course of action.

Wrench

WKR
There's a reason it costs more to barrel an action than it does to buy a factory gun.

You're paying for average and you got average. The good news is that average today is pretty good.

Borescopes are the thief of joy.

It happens. Steel rod, copper brush with grit, excessive crown damage from not using a guide... Take your pick. It's usually a strong desire to do something mixed with ignorance. We've all learned lessons the hard way at some point in life.
I guess I’ve never even considered using an uncoated rod, or not using a bore guide, or not using aluminum jags/brushes. So your ignorance comment is spot on😂