Choosing my First Hunting Rifle

A couple of thoughts.
1 it doesn't matter what the outside of your barrel looks like. Scratched, rust spots, OD green spray, whatever. The bore is what matters. Go stainless. And maintain it.

2. 6.5 creedmoor and upward is probably where you need to be. 7 mm 08, 308, 270, 30-06, 300 PRC, it's just a matter of what your shoulder can take. But if you EVER flinch from recoil you'll botch the shot. And if you're sore you won't practice which leads us to point 3

3. $1,000 rifle will do anything you listed.
$500~1000 optics likewise.
$1000 in ammunition is just a start. You need to shoot right handed, you need to shoot left-handed, standing, kneeling, propped on a tree, leaned on a fence post at all ranges. In the rain. In the cold. In the wind. In the nasty.
That, sir, is the important part.
7mm 08 is my favorite short action hunting caliber.

OP
T

ThaSauced

FNG
For all those who care, I finally had time to get to my hunting store and was able to get my hands on a Tikka T3X Lite in Stainless Steel finish, chambered in .308 Winchester. I went with the .308, instead of 6.5CM or .270 Win, because he had mentioned how that rifle was delivered today and was the only shipment from Tikka he got all week. It seemed like it was meant to be. I also bought a Leupold 3-9x40mm rifle scope and had the technician mount the scope. Going to practice shooting with it and test the ammunition I got within the coming weeks, then going hunting with a buddy come November. Thank you to all who commented and lent your knowledge and expertise.

I have a couple 6.5's. I had a 308 rebarrelled in 2013 before everyone hated them. I've had a lot of good luck with them. That being said if I was in the market for a first time rifle I would look at the base models in either Tikka t3x or Browning X bolt. I would most likely go with a 30-06 though. Little more availability with ammo and a little more versatile. That new 6.8 western round looks really intriguing as well but I'm not sure what all companies have it chambered yet.

Vern400

WKR
For all those who care, I finally had time to get to my hunting store and was able to get my hands on a Tikka T3X Lite in Stainless Steel finish, chambered in .308 Winchester. I went with the .308, instead of 6.5CM or .270 Win, because he had mentioned how that rifle was delivered today and was the only shipment from Tikka he got all week. It seemed like it was meant to be. I also bought a Leupold 3-9x40mm rifle scope and had the technician mount the scope. Going to practice shooting with it and test the ammunition I got within the coming weeks, then going hunting with a buddy come November. Thank you to all who commented and lent your knowledge and expertise.
Congratulations. That rifle will do almost everything you need. It's not too small, and it's not too big. I've shot more than 70 whitetail deer with my 308. Most of those were shot with 150 grain Sierra spitzer boat tail. The old man bullets with the lead pointy tips. They're nearly match accurate if your gun likes them. I am highly upset if a deer goes 15 yd after being shot.
I would say your rifle is going to be a little bit punchy because it's a lightweight. It definitely will not be a wimp. But the recoil should be very manageable. Sometimes I fold a kitchen hand towel twice and lay it over my shoulder when I'm shooting if I'm going to pop 20 or 30 shells. I don't care what people think. But check yourself for flinching and make sure you're not developing a bad habit.

That's a fine hunting weapon. That caliber is one of several that is undeniably effective. To be honest, I would question the judgment of anyone that made a negative comment. My comments would be exactly the same if you had gotten a Creed, 7-08 or 270. ( Although the 270 would have been very punchy) Have fun!

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I would go browning xbolt. Just bought a SR. 6.8W and very accurate, nice features, and quality. The pro is nice with the carbon stock but the normal hells canyon stock is fine. Get in 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5 Prc, 270 win or 308 win. I personally prefer the classic 270, but all are great. The 6.5 cm kicks the least, the other 3 about the same and all have some minor theoretical advantage over one another in one way or another. However in reality all do about the same thing as a hunting round which is work very well without a lot of recoil

Good luck!

Lou

OP
T

ThaSauced

FNG
I guess I was late! Great choice!

Lou
I was initially thinking of getting the X-Bolt but the slightly higher price range was my limiting factor. As it was my first hunting rifle, I could not justify spending that much money and wanted some simplistic beginning to a life long addiction lol.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
You can’t go wrong with with the Tikka. From my experience the scope my cause you some aggravation.

I'd go with the Tikka or the Howa in that price range, I personally don't think the Weatherby or Browning offer enough more to be at the top end of that range. I have 2 tikkas and 1 howa, 1 Browning, I do like the 2 stage trigger in the howa. On that list, I'd go with the Tikkas.
If your going to put a scope on it, and I assume you are, look at Fierce's website for their ready to ship rifles, some are discounted WITH a scope (all I saw were Leupod 3-15 vx5's, and 6-24 Zeiss vx4's) in the upper $2k's and lower $3's. I have a Fierce 300prc with that Zeiss scope, and it is an excellent system!