Is it worth having a bear tag for CO 3rd season?

mgray

FNG
I’ll be in CO for a third season deer hunt 11/12-11/18. Will the bears be denned up by then, or would it be worth having a tag?

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
It’s very unlikely that you would see a Bear, although I hear it happens occasionally. I can’t say I’ve ever even seen a track in November.

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
I had a bear harassing us in camp 2 nights in a row some years back but never have seen one that late while hunting.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I was hunting 3rd season in SW CO two years ago. Right after a fresh snow and temps in the teens I was tracking a good size bear around 7-8K elevation.
D34F8A8C-D63A-4091-AE33-4A479DCBD9B7.png

One of the larger bears I've seen while hunting was during 4th season here in Colorado. The weather was really nice and there was no snow om the ground anywhere.

OP
M

mgray

FNG
Thanks for the replies. It looks like tags are about $100, so I'm gambling and picking one up when they go on sale in August. I've wasted more than that on stupider things.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you have a tag you will not see one. If you don't then you will see numerous. It is a proven fact by myself every year! Never hurts to have a tag but think about your goal for the hunt. If packing out a bear is worth a full day of hunting then let er rip! If you are strictly focused on killing a deer then I would not worry about it!

UtahJimmy

WKR
Thanks for the replies. It looks like tags are about $100, so I'm gambling and picking one up when they go on sale in August. I've wasted more than that on stupider things.
I hunted CO deer in '18 before they dropped the price (was $400 for NR). Saw a bear at 25 yards when I was scouting in July and then a big ole boar at 50 yards during 3rd season. For $100 it'll be a no-brainer add-on when I hunt there again.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk