Is CWD the Imminent Doom for Hunting?

OP
B

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
To the OP.. I don't think CWD is effectively the end to hunting but it sure as hell isn't going to make hunting better whether due to more open regs associated with it or a less healthy herd. It damn sure doesn't help us promote hunting in the court of public opinion as a healthy source of meat if the meat is getting thrown away and it doesn't help with ungulate conservation efforts if they are viewed as a disease vector by the general public.

Hard to say what is to come but its a freaking problem much bigger than how the associated regs have hurt age class IMO.
I hope you are right.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Fordguy

WKR
You're not wrong. I too put treatable/preventable in the same category. They aren't preventable because the government won't make them preventable, yet we still knowingly consume them. The only prevention is to take precaution (much like CWD). And yes, I understand the contradiction in those two sentences.

However I wasn't aware of any treatments for E. Coli. Salmonella sure there is antibiotics being put to use.

You're also right on the second paragraph, however, I never said "no one has died" from CWD. We don't know what we don't know.
I'm pretty sure a course of antibiotics was the recommended treatment for E-coli and or Salmonella. I'm not sure penicillin cuts it any more, likely something stronger/newer. A friend of mine used to work on a hog farm, and was continuously having problems with E-coli. He went to the Dr. the first few instances but then just dealt with it until he quit. Back then I think they gave him what was called a z-pack. Azythromycin?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We all have to die from something. I'd rather die from eating wild game meat than dying from getting experimental shots. Pick your poison. Heck, I've had a high fat, high carb, and high protein diet for decades. Apparently that will kill me before anything else does.

KurtR

WKR
I’m curious…
Have you or the fella you’ve quoted, even seen a CWD positive animal, let alone killed one?
Seen one don’t know that I have ever killed one . It’s nothing new been around for decades and it’s a great way for making money. Ehd and blue tongue are a way bigger concern. Seen over 100 deer dead from that last year.

Seen one don’t know that I have ever killed one . It’s nothing new been around for decades and it’s a great way for making money. Ehd and blue tongue are a way bigger concern. Seen over 100 deer dead from that last year.

Who, is making money?

EHD is a viral infection from a midge, that is not always fatal.
EHD hasn’t spread across the US, into Canada, Sweden, Finland and Korea.
EHD doesn’t persist on the landscape for years, nor is EHD contagious.

How many deer will die of CWD this year?

I’m not sure, how you could possibly draw such a conclusion, with out knowing all of the metrics.

Last edited:

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I've listened to a dozen or so long form conversations with some of the leading experts and researchers on CWD. All of those researchers think it's a big deal.
Of course it's a big deal to them. It's what puts Vegan dahl on their table, Starbucks in their cups and Teslas in their garages.

Related: wife was getting blood work done, talking to a 70 year old gentleman. He said he passed out when he got the covid shot.

Then he had a heart attack shortly after he got his booster. Blood stringy and gelatinous. Nearly killed him.

Wife asked him why he got the shots.

"We didn't know!"

His occupation?

Research scientist.

Fordguy

WKR
In areas with a lot of predators (coyotes in my area) You won't typically see the deer dying from cwd until prevalence is high because they're pulled down and disposed of when they start to act silly or are weak and lose their coordination.

EHD and Blue Tongue are only bigger concerns until CWD prevalence is high enough that your herd shrinks and age structure decreases.

I've had a property littered with deer dead from EHD, but there was no concern about infectious agents from the corpses infecting other deer years later.

Of course it's a big deal to them. It's what puts Vegan dahl on their table, Starbucks in their cups and Teslas in their garages.

Related: wife was getting blood work done, talking to a 70 year old gentleman. He said he passed out when he got the covid shot.

Then he had a heart attack shortly after he got his booster. Blood stringy and gelatinous. Nearly killed him.

Wife asked him why he got the shots.

"We didn't know!"

His occupation?

Research scientist.

What the hell does CWD have to do with Covid?

lol that infectious disease researchers are vegans….
I mean seriously, wtf

Musky

Lil-Rokslider
In areas with a lot of predators (coyotes in my area) You won't typically see the deer dying from cwd until prevalence is high because they're pulled down and disposed of when they start to act silly or are weak and lose their coordination.

EHD and Blue Tongue are only bigger concerns until CWD prevalence is high enough that your herd shrinks and age structure decreases.

I've had a property littered with deer dead from EHD, but there was no concern about infectious agents from the corpses infecting other deer years later.
I guess I'm confused about why there wouldn't be concern?

Fordguy

WKR
I guess I'm confused about why there wouldn't be concern?
Because at the time I was in an area with very low CWD prevalence and the dead deer expired from EHD. The virus that causes EHD is transmitted by midges. It doesn't just hang out in the environment where it can infect other deer via consumption for years. Cold weather kills the midges, and most viruses are relatively fragile. A short time exposed to UV (sun) light takes care of them.

S.Clancy

WKR
@Dos Perros How has this not turned into a meme thread?

From what I've read it doesn't have much utility beyond that. I have no talent for memes, we need a savior....

Fordguy

WKR
@Dos Perros How has this not turned into a meme thread?

From what I've read it doesn't have much utility beyond that. I have no talent for memes, we need a savior....
For one, there haven't been any WKR's stealing BOALs.
For two, there hasnt been any long distance leg shooting and claim jumping.

Musky

Lil-Rokslider
Because at the time I was in an area with very low CWD prevalence and the dead deer expired from EHD. The virus that causes EHD is transmitted by midges. It doesn't just hang out in the environment where it can infect other deer via consumption for years. Cold weather kills the midges, and most viruses are relatively fragile. A short time exposed to UV (sun) light takes care of them.
Sure, I understand about the midge. I was merely curious on the potential for those that died via the midge to actually also have contracted CWD. In that scenario the concern for infectious agents would be real. Not none, just low chances, but chances nonetheless.

CWD has been in many places longer than 20 years. And in all my research, I’ve yet to find a place that CWD has ended all hunting and populations.

Like everything, much of it is blown way out of proportions by all sides. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.
As always Travis hits the nail on the head, just like the conservation talks on Rokcast!

I wrote in on the cwd plan in MT for region 6(thanks for others who did)!

We will recover from this, whitetail fecundity and contraction rates are much higher. Why kill all the mule deer? Easy excuse to drop pop. to decrease contraction rates, but we will never eradicate the root cause.

Nor will the deer disappear.

KurtR

WKR
Who, is making money?

EHD is a viral infection from a midge, that is not always fatal.
EHD hasn’t spread across the US, into Canada, Sweden, Finland and Korea.
EHD doesn’t persist on the landscape for years, nor is EHD contagious.

How many deer will die of CWD this year?

I’m not sure, how you could possibly draw such a conclusion, with out knowing all of the metrics.
A lot more than cwd. Out deer numbers went to shit because of Ehd and blue tongue . Cwd has affected little to none.

Grants for the studies. Science is big money.

How many years has cwd been around since the 60’s if it was the game ended would have done it years ago.