Is a "meat shelf" what you want in a pack?

slick

WKR
Is a "meat shelf" what you want in a pack?

Yep.
816a653904ee5fc008921ee76cfe9f5a.png

Last edited:

Gumbo

WKR
For a day pack I run my MR Overload if I am carrying my spotter or am bowhunting and I use the shelf. If I am rifle hunting with no spotter I use my Crew Cab. If I am loaded for an extended stay I run my AMR, but I have yet to pack any meat in it. To make a little more space, I use two large spotter pockets for my tent and misc. gear that I plan to attach to the sides to make more room for meat when the time comes.

4ester

WKR
I much prefer the meat shelf. Keeps all your gear much cleaner, and I don't have to rearrange all of it to fit in with the meat. I am currently running the SG Archer 6200 with the load shelf. I have helped pack out 8 elk in the past 2 weeks, and prefer to keep my gear separate from the meat. Although two elk quarters (bone in) don't fit in the shelf very well. But you can get plenty of compression from the bag itself to keep them secure. If going boneless I use the SG Meat Bag and it keeps things in the correct shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil-Rokslider
A meat shelf really helps here in Alaska when you have to haul that moose quarter out whole on the bone.

elkyinzer

WKR
Personal preference, I absolutely would never buy a pack without one. But also it has to have the right setup of straps so that I can distribute the weight and cinch it down properly. You don't just chuck the meat onto the shelf and carry on. I prefer to carry out bone in quarters for cleaner meat with less trimming loss. Also enables me to carry odd loads that don't fit in the bag.

I was afraid someone would ask that, and I would be forced to admit that I'm the only guy on here that doesn't train with 100 lbs. 😉

Mine is 15" tall, 12" wide at the top, 9" wide at the bottom, and I can get about 40 lbs of sand in it. You can easily spec it out to hold more or less.

nothing wrong with 40lbs, i used to carry that all the time, but after a while i got used to the weight of it i felt i should ramp it up, like you said, all the guys on here are training with 100lbs
i train with 60-80lbs now, thats it though, and I'm not sure i could carry more than that for a great distance in the mountains.. trails are different..
i think i would rather make two trips, if i was 25yo it may be different, but now in mid 40's i need to keep the joints happy...
any way i like that bag maybe i will have to have jimmy make me one...

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I prefer in the bag usually ... sometimes I like a hauler mainly for quarters / day hunting