Is 8208 XBR now a unicorn?

sdupontjr

WKR
I have just about 1 lb left and haven't seen it available in a year. Did they stop production on it, or is it just a fable unicorn that is unobtainable?

I’ve wanted to try it for 6.5 Grendel but like you said it’s impossible to source. I settled for H335 and Tac and they both do the job well. They also can be had at reasonable prices.

TxLite

WKR
I thought it fell into the hole of discontinued IMR powders. Havent seen it in a long time

8208 and Benchmark be available towards the middle of next year, and they are both different, with BM being slightly faster
The factory was required by the government to be more environmentally friendly with their processes, and it has proven to be more difficult than expected, but large quantities of H4350 and Varget are now available, with the others to follow

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
I have a good supply of varget but I wanted to try some 155's with 8208 to see if can get a little more velocity in my CTR 20". I have TAC also, but 8208 is more like varget in temp stability. But I'm not gonna work up a load for it and can't get any more of it.

I just picked up a bunch of Benchmark last week, so it's available. But it is really limiting to equate "available" with "local gun store", even when we're fortunate enough for it to match on occasion. Look online, regularly, and get it while you can in the greatest reasonable quantity you can - because the industry dynamics and cadences of availability won't return to "normal" for the rest of this decade.

One bit of info I can provide on how the industry apparently works in the current environment, is that the OEM Australian and European firms that produce so many of our most popular powders (H4350, Benchmark, etc, that our American brands repackage and distribute), will be producing fewer but much larger runs of each powder type at any given time.

Meaning, they will be going longer in between producing runs of our pet powders.

So, buy in much larger quantities than normal, and expect to make it last a couple of years. There are exceptions to this, but until Ukraine winds down - and especially if a regional war in the Middle East kicks off - plan on that being the reality we live in. So look online regularly, and when your preferred powder reappears, expect it to go quickly and not reappear again for a year or two. Especially for niche powders.

I just sent an email to Hodgdon asking about the next production run for 8208 XBR and its availability. They got back to me within an hour. Here's their response:

"Thank you for contacting us. I am sorry but we do not currently have an estimate for when this powder will next be available."

Hydra6

FNG
I just sent an email to Hodgdon asking about the next production run for 8208 XBR and its availability. They got back to me within an hour. Here's their response:

"Thank you for contacting us. I am sorry but we do not currently have an estimate for when this powder will next be available."
Standard response from Hodgdon for any powder inquiry unfortunately