Iron will tune

How many people have had luck tuning the iron will broadheads without a helical or offset fletchings? I’m looking at shooting the single bevel 125 head. The reason I ask because it’s not in my budget this year to buy the components to fletch the arrows. Just wondering how everyone else does with the standard fletching set up from the manufacturer. Thanks

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ll just say this. There are some phenomenal heads out there right now. If spending big money on arrows and broadheads isn’t the right decision and you need a proven shooter take a look at some of the smaller profile heads like exodus and black hornet. The price is right, they’re durable, and they fly great!

OP
Dinglebottoms
I’ve been out of archery a few years but am getting geared back up for it this year. I last shot exodus and they were amazing as far as accuracy went and killed good. Maybe I should just stick with those instead of adding all these extra expenses into the mix

dlee56

WKR
Like is said before, you can always go cheaper and kill animals. Personally I nerd out and build all my arrows and probabiy spend too much money on my setups, but that's just because I enjoy that part of it. Some folks modify their truck, some folks go on yearly vacations, and some folks over build arrows.

In my experience I haven't had any issued getting IW's to tune out to 90-100yds but I shoot offset fletch on my compound setup. If you already have some broadheads that shoot well just go ahead and get the IWs and try them out. If it doesn't work, you can always put them on the shelf until you can afford new fetching and use your old ones in the meantime. Depends a little on how much you had to tune just to get field points to fly but I don't think you'll find a better flying fixed blade than IWs.

Reactions: Zac
OP
Dinglebottoms
I agree with that 💯 , where I’m starting out fresh again with my whole setup from broadheads to bow I think for this year I’ll shoot a cheaper head then upgrade next year when adding 100 broadheads and built arrows won’t add to an already expensive purchase

Aren’t most prefletched arrows done with a slight helical? I know my victory arrows are all done with a helical when I buy them prefletched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dinglebottoms
Aren’t most prefletched arrows done with a slight helical? I know my victory arrows are all done with a helical when I buy them prefletched.

They could be but idk what degree, I listened to the rokcast with Bill V the brains behind iron will and he recommends a little more so I figured that factory just didn’t have any. It’s all good anyways I think that’ll be a good hobby for maybe winter after this hunting season to start building arrows

Lots of good single bevels for 1/2 the cost. You could easily buy a jig and some vanes with the money you save.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about the non helical but mine tuned fine but once my bow is tuned it shoots most anything I put on it. I carry iron will solids and QAD in my quiver. I really like the QAD heads for the money they are hard to beat. I also like and use the Magnus black hornets another great head.

JasonWi

WKR
If you're upgrading other equipment and own the QAD, you really don't need to buy the Magnus or IW. Just use what's available and save the money for a refletcher and vanes. They come up quite often on the classified section and you'll appreciate having the ability to refletch arrows at home.

Utilize what you own -- practice hundreds of shots behind that bow and don't overthink it. You won't kill anything any deader with IW over the QAD.

I don't know of any factory fletched arrows that are fletched straight, they might be out there, but I haven't seen them.

A higher profile vane like blazer, bully, or raptor will steer a broadhead well from most setups without a helical, just an offset. A helical will make it more forgiving, but once properly tuned, you shouldn't need any radical helical to get good flight.

Reactions: Zac
OP
Dinglebottoms
I haven’t had any archery gear for a couple years now I’m just getting back into the archery thing next month so I’m starting completely over top to bottom, from bow to broadheads. I like the way the exodus flew and they definitely killed good but I like the idea of a cut on contact like the magnus black hornet or iron will. I think with that being said I will be trying the black hornets this year.

OP
Dinglebottoms
I don't know of any factory fletched arrows that are fletched straight, they might be out there, but I haven't seen them.

A higher profile vane like blazer, bully, or raptor will steer a broadhead well from most setups without a helical, just an offset. A helical will make it more forgiving, but once properly tuned, you shouldn't need any radical helical to get good flight.
That’s good to know, I don’t fletch my own arrows so i just assumed. I may try the iron will broadheads before the season. I guess if all else fails i can always resale them on here

WMag338

WKR
I have shot right offset fletching and right helical. Noticed basically no difference in my Iron Will flight and tuning. I converted all my arrows to right helical for my own piece of mind now.

OP
Dinglebottoms
I have shot right offset fletching and right helical. Noticed basically no difference in my Iron Will flight and tuning. I converted all my arrows to right helical for my own piece of mind now.
Thanks for the reply i appreciate it, I’ll have some decisions to make before the season gets here for sure

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
I had tuning issues past 40 yds with IW 125s on my factory 4 fletched VAP TKOs (I believe they are 1° offset). I had a conversation with Iron Will Bill and he suggested 3 vane helicle with a .5 to .55 tall vane and 14% foc or better. I think the tolerances in my factory inserts contributed to the tuning issues maybe more so than the fletchings. I noticed a very slight woble in the arrow on a spinner when I put the heads on that I didn't see with field points that definitely wasn't helping my cause. I'm rebuilding the arrows with 3° left helicle 3 vane max stealths and IW HIT inserts and collars. I also don't mind spending extra on my hunting arrows and love building and testing new setups!

OP
Dinglebottoms
Makes sense, I think I’ll try to build some arrows next season so I can keep things more budget friendly this year.

Seeknelk

WKR
If you already have the quad exodus...you already have one of the best broadheads made, for the money especially. Make sure your arrows fly perfect and go kill everything.