Iron Will Std vs. Wide Arrow Flight

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I shot and recovered my elk last year with the iron will single bevel - std width head. Interestingly enough, when I walked up on the cow, the broadhead was gone. It likely spun off due to improper rotation, but I'm not entirely sure since I shoot a right helical and had the SB right head. Either way, I'm going to pickup a few more IW heads and I'm considering the wide cut version to improve the blood trail. The blood trail was 'OK', not great, so that's why I'm considering the wide version to improve the blood trail. I'll also be going with a double bevel instead of single.

My question, how does the wide iron will broadhead fly compared to the standard size? I do understand that it's a bigger rudder on the front, so I'm on the fence. I wouldn't want to sacrifice accuracy/robustness for a minorly incremental improvement in the bloodtrail. Thoughts?

fatlander

WKR
You said it yourself, it’s a bigger rudder out front. That bigger rudder is going to amplify imperfections in your tune, your form when shooting under pressure, and environmental factors. How much it impacts your POI is going to vary. Some guys can hold it together better than others, but apples to apples the smaller iron will head is going to be more forgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
Blood trails have way more to do with shot placement than anything else. You aren't going to see a difference in single bevel vs double as far as blood trails go. From what I have heard the wide does fairly well out to around 50 yards. If it's the vented version that will help quite a bit. Other things that may help are indexing all the broadheads so that they are coming out of the bow the same way. A standard diameter arrow will be better, as well as some really heavy fletching on the back. I would think if you are calm and shooting in the back yard then the standard Blazer's may work fine. However if you torque the bow with that large wing on the front it will suffer significantly.

OP
yak

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious about your lost broadhead. Was the insert still in the arrow with threads intact?
Yes, the arrow was completely intact, but the broadhead was missing. I tighten the heads on with a broadhead wrench and put a small dab of bowstring wax in the threads to make sure they don't make any noise in flight. Never had an issue with heads spinning off, but even though the head was missing, it did it's job.

Here's a picture of when I walked up on her.
IMG_2838 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
OP
yak

yak

Lil-Rokslider
Curious why you’re switching from single bevel to double?
I'm going to double because that's the only logical reason the broadhead was missing...maybe it spun off as it carved though the elk. For that reason, I don't want to loose any more Iron Will broadheads ($) and don't want to use Loctite on the threads. Additionally, I really don't think there is a huge terminal difference, but rather only a slight difference between single and double bevel.

I put a lot of arrows through both of my Prime bows (Centergy and a Logic CT5) testing the 125gr solids vs the 125gr wides. Tested with 3 fletch and 4 fletch arrows. The fletch didn't seem to make much of a difference. For my setups, the wides had a tendency to plane more than the standards. After 35 yards, the wides would not stay on target for me and the solid 125s did. My bows both shoot solid 125s and magnus black hornets like field tips out to 70 yards. Could very well just be how they are tuned, or that they're not tuned corrrectly. Just my experience

OP
yak

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I put a lot of arrows through both of my Prime bows (Centergy and a Logic CT5) testing the 125gr solids vs the 125gr wides. Tested with 3 fletch and 4 fletch arrows. The fletch didn't seem to make much of a difference. For my setups, the wides had a tendency to plane more than the standards. After 35 yards, the wides would not stay on target for me and the solid 125s did. My bows both shoot solid 125s and magnus black hornets like field tips out to 70 yards. Could very well just be how they are tuned, or that they're not tuned corrrectly. Just my experience
Good insight. I shoot a Prime Logic CT3 @ 70#, 4 fletch BE Spartans with brass up front. I'll probably stick with the Std cutting diameter to avoid adding any other variables into my setup. The SB125's shoot great for me, so I don't want to comprise accuracy at longer ranges. Many thanks.

entropy

FNG
I had two different Rage broadheads either completely spin out of the shaft, or mostly spin out of the shaft. each on a whitetail. Never had that happen with any fixed blade.

My experience with IW wides is a carbon copy of River rat23's. If I slowed my arrow down some I think it might work out, but at 280 plus the wides would go wonky on me by 30-35 yards.

I had two different Rage broadheads either completely spin out of the shaft, or mostly spin out of the shaft. each on a whitetail. Never had that happen with any fixed blade.

My experience with IW wides is a carbon copy of River rat23's. If I slowed my arrow down some I think it might work out, but at 280 plus the wides would go wonky on me by 30-35 yards.

I'm reviving this old thread, but wanted to know if slowing down your arrows worked out for you in this instance?

I have 3 different broadheads. IW wide, IW SB, and Magnus Black Hornets. The Black Hornet and SB's fly the same but the Wide is a bit wonky

fatlander

WKR
I'm reviving this old thread, but wanted to know if slowing down your arrows worked out for you in this instance?

I have 3 different broadheads. IW wide, IW SB, and Magnus Black Hornets. The Black Hornet and SB's fly the same but the Wide is a bit wonky

How much vane is on the back of your arrows?

chasewild

WKR
My wides fly great out to 40. I haven't shot them past that. I couldn't get the single bevels to fly as good as my A-TACs and I imagine that was my fault.

fatlander

WKR
Put 3 blazers on the back and see if that doesn’t improve flight. With larger fixed heads, I’ve found that higher profile vanes trump lower profile vanes, regardless of surface area, every time.

Put 3 blazers on the back and see if that doesn’t improve flight. With larger fixed heads, I’ve found that higher profile vanes trump lower profile vanes, regardless of surface area, every time.

What if I put 4 stealths instead?

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I would echo similar sentiments . I have both wides and SB. I tried max stealth’s 3 and 4 vane, TAC vanes and good ole 3 blazers with 3degree helical. Hands down for my setup the 3 blazers with helical produce the best flight for both the wides and SB.