Iron Will Broadheads

So I just ordered a 2dozen of the vap tko sport shafts that I found on sale on camofire. About to order some new fletching and a friend of mine is putting together a list as far as inserts,etc. I am also going up to 150 grain on the Iron Will Broadhead. I have a bow I can dedicate to elk or big game only if needed. So I am going to start from scratch and build up a few arrows and see how they fly. I have until next hunting season to work the bugs out so we will see.

What spine did you order? If your getting the iron will collars you should try the inserts they make also, I think they come in 25,50,75&100 and the collars are 100 just remember you need the deep six heads with the deep six inserts. With all those options it should be easy to hit objective weight of 450 or higher.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I have 9.3gpi GT Hunters cut at 27", 100g heads, GT insert with their screw in insert weights at 50g a wrap and 6 fletch and I sit around 490g total arrow weight. Almost 200g is upfront so I get great flight out of these.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
the spine is 400. I was told that would work with my current setup since I have a short draw length and only shooting 60lbs.

I shoot the iron will 125 S and love them. I haven’t hunted elk with them yet. I did take them to Africa this year. I was really impressed with their flight and how easy it was to tune for them. I shoot a elite energy 35 at 74lbs and my arrow set up was 510 gr.
I had amazing penetration on all my African animals. Their durability is pretty good as well , I ended up re using a couple of them as well.

I would recommend them all day long.
I don’t re sharpen the blades , I probably should learn how , but I just buy the packs of replacement blades and change them out as needed.

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
So I just ordered a 2dozen of the vap tko sport shafts that I found on sale on camofire. About to order some new fletching and a friend of mine is putting together a list as far as inserts,etc. I am also going up to 150 grain on the Iron Will Broadhead. I have a bow I can dedicate to elk or big game only if needed. So I am going to start from scratch and build up a few arrows and see how they fly. I have until next hunting season to work the bugs out so we will see.

Smart move. This way your not trying to put a square peg in a round hole if u know what I mean.

If I could shoot any broadheads it’d either be the iron wills or the valkyries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Valkyrie blood eagles are threaded and can be used with normal inserts. Just throwing our another option.

I used to shoot the older Magnus 2 blade in 125gr. I have been getting ready for my first elk hunt, and decided it would be a great idea to practice with them just to see how they flew.... Long story short, the Magnus flew like garbage. So after reading all the reviews, I ordered a set of the S125's from Ironwill. We shall see.

I'll be honest, now that I am reading all this, I have to wonder if my own set up is on. Shooting a 400 grain arrow, with 125 head. Not sure on actual shaft dia, but 27.5" arrow and and shooting 65#
Just seems like a lot of guys are shooting a much lighter arrow than I am. I am not very familiar with all the inserts, and FOC terminology just yet. But, I am trying to learn!

I just picked up some s200 Ironwill heads and they fly great, the same as my 200gr Bone Broadhead, same as field points. I'm amazed at how sharp they are yet after being fired repeatedly into the rinehart.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Experts. Help needed. A week or so ago I ordered from camofire 2 dozen victory vap tko sport arrow shafts. I also ordered from Lancaster archery the vap shok ss insert 229ss for 400 spine. Well the guy who is building my arrows and who is very knowledgeable and who told me what to order told me tonight that the inserts don’t fit but the 241ss that he has does. He was confused as to why. According to victory site the 241ss inserts are not specd for 400 spine. So now I have to call victory about this Monday which puts me behind on arrow building. Any thoughts on this or possible explanations?

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
So I think I have discovered the problem. I ordered the inserts from Lancaster archery. If you view their product description of the inserts it gives you the number of the insert like 229ss etc and the applicable spine numbers but it doesn’t say for which shaft version. If you go to victory’s website there is a table for the inserts and there are two columns. One says Vap and one says Vap tko. My arrows are the tko. Well according to the table I ordered based on the Vap col when I should have ordered based on the vap tko col but if you looked on Lancaster site you would never know this unless you looked on victory site first

Swede

WKR
Taz: Since you said money is no problem, why not order a couple different packs of Ironwill broadheads and test them for yourself, rather than trying to extrapolate on someone else's experience. They have a different bow, different setup and some difference in arrows Many people try several different broadheads before they determine what is best for their setup.
It is my observation that anyone that says their large, flat blade broadhead shoots as accurate as their field point is saying they are not all that accurate in their shooting, and it really doesn't matter. Testimonials are never as good as first hand information.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
So I have another friend who is begging me to let him rig up some arrows with vane tech fletching and the jig he uses adds a helical twist to them. This setup he wants to do for my vertix bow. Now I mean come on. At what point is enough enough. He shoots competitions so I could see him maybe wanting that extra edge but this bow of mine is driving tacks at 30 yards easy with the simple setup I have. So tell me why would u really want helical twist and at want point is enough enough because I really don’t care. I’ve taken a lot of deer with plain arrow setups so. Whitetail that is. So should I pacify him and say whatever

KyleR1985

WKR
I have a set of 200 and 125 solids. I group as well as field points - my arrows are insert tuned, nock tuned.

I shot two deer with them last year. Both quick clean kills. The heads sharpened back up easily and are ready to shoot.

I wanted to see how they compared with exodus for me - honestly I see no real difference. Both will be in my quiver at times I'm sure.

Swede

WKR
I am not going to debate anyone's experience, but I have never found a flat blade broadhead that was as accurate as the shorter spine ones like Slick Tricks. The flat blade broadheads tend to plane, and cross winds effect them more.
I am not saying flat blade broadheads are not as good. They have some real benefits, but I have not found accuracy to be one.
I never have had the accuracy with a straight fletch I can get with an off set or helical. I prefer helical and have the jigs for that kind of fletch.
Years ago I was in a dealers class at PSE in Tucson Az. where George Chapman was instructing. He asked how many of us shot a straight fletch? Several students in the class raised their hand. George asked; "why? Don't you want to hit what you are shooting at?" Just like the flat blade broadheads cause arrows to plane, Straight fletching arrows plane also. Helical and off set fletching cause the arrow to spin in flight. It is easier to spin a short broadhead than a long flat blade one, and the wind does not impact the small four blade broadhead as much.
George Chapman and Ed Elison of Easton Arrows spend a full day talking just arrows, and they gave us a fairly large book on the subject. You just got some of the more significant bits of that material.

cnelk

WKR
Iron Wills are a pretty short broadhead too.

Here is a 100gr Slick Trick alongside a 100gr Iron Will

I shoot both with equal results

1F5711EB-7EF7-4EB9-A2B1-02488793B1A7.jpeg

Swede

WKR
Good comparison Brad. I guess I would recommend an interested person with plenty of funds test some I.Ws. to see how they preform for them. The cost is the only detractor I see with the IW blades.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I saw good results with them on the 2 elk we killed last year.

The first was my friends 6pt bull. At 30 yards he took a hard quartering away shot and hit in the back leg, but it slid up into the liver and the bull only made it about 60 yards. His arrow was a touch over 500 grains.

I killed a cow a few days later at 40 yards, and ran an arrow into her last rib and out her neck and the arrow buried in the ground behind her. She died in seconds. My arrow comes in at 480 grains.

The year prior I killed my bull at 9 yards with the same arrow setup but I had a G5 Striker head. The arrow hit only bones in the rib cage and was just laying on the ground and the broadhead was pretty much toasted. That’s what led me to switch last year, and I’ll be hard pressed to go to a different head when I want to shoot a fixed blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk