Iron Will bh ferrule shorter then field tip problem

Cliffy12

WKR
So I was building some arrows tonight, fmj's with the hit inserts. I noticed that the IW bh ferrule was about 1/8th" shorter the the field tips. So the broad head is only making contact with about 3 threads rather then all the threads. It isn't even close to bottoming out where it should be. I searched there website couldn't find any information or differences in the different heads/ ferrules besides weight. I took some pictures of what was going on.
Has anyone ran into this before?
The first 2 are when I put the head in the shaft before screwing it into the threads. It shows how much more the field tip will screw into the arrow then the iw will.
af321bef6379ee05694e3952a71d3848.jpg
35f737cff3241da3c1cf8bd573889c7d.jpg
25b89a0367aa4e8f67a8b3ae26745ae9.jpg
c547a77a0084353001c207c3f2875a33.jpg
2df58daa2d47489ffd6bbb93ac34c830.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I experienced this too but I didn’t worry about it too much because I believe you get the concentricity from how snugly the fat part of the ferrule fits inside the arrow, the threads just hold it on.

The next batch I built I actually just screwed the IW broadhead into the insert all the way then used that as my HIT “install tool” some of the broadheads stayed glued into the arrow some came out. They kinda decided on their own which ones would be the “hunting arrows”.

It's not an issue. If you're concerned about insufficient thread engagement potentially causing the threads to shear on impact, there's no reason to worry. The impact force will primarily be borne by the flat shoulder of the point/head pushing on the front of the arrow shaft. You're primarily relying on the compressive strength of the shaft material (rather than the strength of the threads) to keep the point/head from being driven backward into the shaft. The threaded connection between the HIT and point/head really just serves to keep the shoulder of the point/head snugged up against the front of the shaft.

It's not an issue. If you're concerned about insufficient thread engagement potentially causing the threads to shear on impact, there's no reason to worry. The impact force will primarily be borne by the flat shoulder of the point/head pushing on the front of the arrow shaft. You're primarily relying on the compressive strength of the shaft material (rather than the strength of the threads) to keep the point/head from being driven backward into the shaft. The threaded connection between the HIT and point/head really just serves to keep the shoulder of the point/head snugged up against the front of the shaft.

This is correct.

Assembling it otherwise can cause problems. There needs to be enough space to allow the threads to pull the point into the shaft tightly, if not the impact forces are exerted onto the insert instead of the shaft. Using a point to seat your insert only gives you enough space for that particular point, unless you only engage it a thread and a half or 2 before inserting.

sndmn11

WKR
You don't want threads to bottom out, you want the base of the broadhead to bottom out on the face of the shaft. This will ensure ridigity on impact and the truest mating surface assuming your shaft and is square. The desire for this is probably one of the main reasons why the threads are a little shorter so that it can be achieved even when a shaft has shallow inserts.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

WKR
Thanks for your responses! They all make sense. Seems like they would be a little closer in length. Iron Will Customer Service explained about the same concept that you all did. Said if I get 3 threads in the insert it is at full strength. I was freaking out last night about it. I feel a little better now.
Thanks yall!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk