Irish Setter boots for elk hunting

Jnevils21

FNG
Have been seeing Irish Setter boots on sale lately and was curious if anyone has used them before. Gonna be going on an elk hunt in Colorado and need to buy some quality boots. These boots are made by Redwing which I use for work, so wondering if they are made with the same quality. So I'd appreciate hearing any experience with these boots. Thanks.

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
I own a pair of havocs. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. Great boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jnevils21

FNG
That's the ones I'm looking at actually. Have you done that style of hunting? It will be an archery elk hunt in Colorado in September.

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
They’ve left tracks in Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota and Iowa. Very comfortable and sturdy boot.

I’ve owned 3 pairs of the elk trackers. Good boots for the price but I couldn’t get more than 2-3 years out of them. I’ve moved on to crispis which are about twice as much.

jmez

WKR
Have a pair of their bird Hunter boots. They run a size big on me. I don't like mine, not comfortable for me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

zeke392

FNG
I’ve owned 3 pairs of the elk trackers. Good boots for the price but I couldn’t get more than 2-3 years out of them. I’ve moved on to crispis which are about twice as much.

How much are you wearing them, all day every day? I was looking at the elk trackers myself but I won't be wearing them for daily chores, only hunting

Mainly hunting and occasionally at work. I hunt central Idaho which was pretty hard on them because of how steep it is. The areas where the toes bend always cracked on me. I probably didn’t oil them enough. Good boots for the money.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
I had the Irish setter vaportrek and they were super comfortable. I'm not trying to bash on them because they were good boots but they wore out very fast. Two quarter sized holes on each side of my toes and the sole tread was gone after 2 seasons. So I switched to Lowa Rangers and couldn't be happier. They are super durable, have great support and they fit my foot fantastic. And if the sole wears out I can get it resoled (which was a big requirement for me)​

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
I wore the Vaprtreks for 3 seasons in CO rifle. A lot of time on horseback so they held up pretty well. By end of the third season the waterproof was gone. Overall good boot for the price, if you’re not backpacking.

I have a pair of the vaportrek’s and I like them, have no complaints. Spent a total of 45 days hunting in them during 2 seasons, performed well in snow, crossing creeks, and sloshy mud, and they still look like new besides the blood stains. Sole hasn’t worn out, no blowouts on the sides, no sole separation, etc. Granted my review might be a bit different than others as I only wear them while hunting, and where I’ve worn them it’s not extremely rocky.

Randle

WKR
I have 2 pair of elk hunters , 200 gram and 1000 gram. they both work great for me. sept archery thru December. 1000s get used more for slow still hunting whitetails in late November. I love the air bob soles.
I also have a pair of vaportreks, I used them 1 archery season and they just didn't have a stiff enough sole for me hunting all day and my feet hurt. they are now my 3d boots. Just not comfortable for a long day with a pack

Mark

WKR
I've been wearing the elk hunters for years. Like most have said, they last about two or three seasons. I'm not sure what the average expectations are for the life of a boot that sees a lot of use.

I've spent more money on other brands that lasted about the same amount of time. For the price, I'm okay with two or three seasons.

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a few pairs of their leather hunting boots. At first they fit great and were super comfortable but they quickly softened up and became too loose and flimsy. Just my experience!

it's been said that a hunter's boots/feet are the single most important piece of "equipment" a hunter has - when I was young I had terrible trouble with my boots (and my feet) continually - A beloved Uncle turned me on to Redwing boots in my 20's and my feet were finally "happy" for days UNTIL I got into wet conditions of ANY kind and COLD conditions of ANY kind - I found Danner Pronghorns in my early 40's (not the handmade Danners, they are great if they fit you and TORTURE if they don't) and even though they're made offshore they worked extremely well for me for a long time UNTIL I tried a pair of LOWA TIBETS for the first time, now I wear some model of LOWA boots nearly every day of my life - Just remember that when you are reading this post, or any others', that feet and fit are SO VERY SUBJECTIVE that you literally MUST wear boots YOURSELF to truly assess them - Another key point to make is that most "boot sales personel" are full of "it", IF the boots don't fit PERFECT when you try them on in the store they NEVER will fit perfect - Also keep in mind that once you've found "nirvana" in anything as important as your footwear does it really matter if they cost $150 or $300 IF your feet don't hurt when you are participating in such a loved pursuit as hunting ? Does it matter if they last 2 years or 10 years ? Not to me, not even for a fleeting moment

ChrisAU

WKR
I wore Ravines on my backpack this past season and was very impressed with the comfort. Never had a single foot issue as a greenhorn in the mountains, and we were in some nasty sh*t.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0EXIA1/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said, the tread left me lacking. They gummed up very easy and had noticeably shallower tread than my partner's Havocs. I went to the extreme tread wise when I got back after I slipped so much, got some Scarpas for this coming season ha. But the Irish Setters will be in the truck just in case.

I have a pair of the “reserve” boots. They are very comfortable and have seen a few backpacking trips. Unfortunately they do not hold my heels well and I am currently looking for replacements as I get blisters on my heels if I don’t tape them. Great work boots though, just not the best for steep climbs.