iPhone use in the bush questions...

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Who is is they?

Does anyone use one of these for charging?

KP100-C-BP-box.jpg

I think he is referring to this Goal Zero:
http://www.rei.com/product/827120/goal-zero-guide-10-plus-battery-pack

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, if so I already have one of those.

What I am looking for is a simple charger that can use regular AA batteries as well, not just rechargeable batteries. As far as I can tell the Goal Zero battery pack will only use the rechargeable batteries, I cant just throw in a set of AA batteries and charge my phone(unless I am doing something wrong?).

Does anyone make a simple, small charger with USB output that can take regular off the shelf AA batteries?

slim9300

WKR

What I am looking for is a simple charger that can use regular AA batteries as well, not just rechargeable batteries. As far as I can tell the Goal Zero battery pack will only use the rechargeable batteries, I cant just throw in a set of AA batteries and charge my phone(unless I am doing something wrong?).

Does anyone make a simple, small charger with USB output that can take regular off the shelf AA batteries?

The Goal Zero Guide 10 works exactly like that. I used it this way for an entire season. It's much better with lithiums versus alkaline though. With 4 lithiums you get a full charge on an iPhone. I don't see how you could be doing it wrong. Mine works just the same as with the rechargeable AA's but doesn't provide a comparable charge unless you use lithiums.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Alkaline batteries have 1800-2600 mAh, non-rechargeable lithiums have 2700-3400 mAh and are also lighter than alkaline.

slim9300

WKR
Alkaline batteries have 1800-2600 mAh, non-rechargeable lithiums have 2700-3400 mAh and are also lighter than alkaline.

Despite their mAh rating, 4 Duracell alkaline batteries will only give you 20-30% charge with the the Guide 10 battery pack. I'm not sure why they are so useless but it probably has to do with their discharge rate.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Even still you could bring the Energizer with only the intention on if you run into a sh** sandwich then you could dump the batteries from another device (say camera) and transfer the power from one to another. Speaking of InReach, why did they go to a rechargable battery from AA in their new model? I think rechargable electronics in the bush are lame but I am a bit old-fashioned.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
The Goal Zero Guide 10 works exactly like that. I used it this way for an entire season. It's much better with lithiums versus alkaline though. With 4 lithiums you get a full charge on an iPhone. I don't see how you could be doing it wrong. Mine works just the same as with the rechargeable AA's but doesn't provide a comparable charge unless you use lithiums.

Thanks, I guess I will have to try it again. Not sure why it would not work??? I used new alkalines and connected it the same as one normally would and no luck...

I think you are looking for something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FXUS1C/ref=cm_sw_em_r_am_it_ws_us?ie=UTF8

I have this model and it does work, but its not real efficient. You could expect 4 AA alkalines to charge an iPhone to 80% and 4 Lithiums to charge about 150%....this has been my experience.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I picked up the GoPro Hero 3 and control the camera wirelessly with the phone... It works well - the camera is awesome. The downside is that the camera is powering a wireless network you log onto with your phone - this seriously taxes battery life for both devices. Most of the time you don't need it, but it's a cool feature once in a while, but not really well suited to the backcountry due to battery drain. I set my gopro up on my bear bait and got some in your face video by triggering the camera with my phone. Pretty cool, but my GoPro required a full charge after 4 hours or so with the wireless running and that was with the extra battery backpack attached. You get a live preview of what the camera is seeing so that's nice to be able to see how your picture or video is framed on your phone if you don't have the LCD backpack attached to the GoPro. I have damn near as much $$ wrapped up in the accessories as I do the GoPro so if you're considering buying one, budget some extra money in there for a the battery backpack at the very minimum.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you plan to shoot photos with the GoPro, the LCD backpack is almost necessary. You can get decent results shooting blind, but you'll end up junking a lot of the photos that are not framed well. BTW, I'm using the iPhone 5 with mine. Make sure you update firmware in the camera before you use the app. Many people are not able to get them to talk until the firmware is updated to the latest version in the camera.

slim9300

WKR
If you plan to shoot photos with the GoPro, the LCD backpack is almost necessary. You can get decent results shooting blind, but you'll end up junking a lot of the photos that are not framed well. BTW, I'm using the iPhone 5 with mine. Make sure you update firmware in the camera before you use the app. Many people are not able to get them to talk until the firmware is updated to the latest version in the camera.

Thanks for the tips. I had no idea the video feed could be visible on your phone. It sounds like you can pan somewhat with the phone while the camera is fixed? If so, how many degrees left to right and up and down?

Slim Jim

WKR

What do you mean Coop? That you can see via blue tooth thru your iPhone 5 or there is a mount to the GoPro? If I'm lucky enough to get something down this season, I planned on mounting my GoPro to my tripod for pics. I was worried about aiming as well.