IPhone 15 or In reach ....

I don’t think you can contact anyone but emergency services with the sat comms on the iphone so that would be a con for me.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I don't want my camera, alarm clock, GPS/maps, and emergency device all rolled into one. Phone also tend to be in places they can be dropped or lost or broken easily, whereas you can stuff an InReach down inside of your pack.

One failure and you're in some real trouble real quick. I think there will always be a good argument for having an independent emergency device.
I'm ehh Android for so I'm not that committed to the conversation.

You do make a good point about putting all your eggs in one basket as it were. I'm usually a tad worried about having a dead battery or worse crushed phone. So having searate systems to track your location and at least SOS is a real advantage.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Well I solved the problem by buying both . Verizon had promotion on the Iphone 15 Pro and I bought a Garmin 67 I . Now if I can just figure out how to use it , LOL

Crusader

WKR
I'm resurrecting a nearly year-old thread but my understanding is that the upcoming IOS 18 update for Apple iPhone 14s and 15s will enable texting via satellite. I hope that's true as it's why I decided against getting a Garmin 66i at a great price; I'll use my 15 for that.

arudelic

FNG
inReach is going to be more reliable which is what you want in a situation where you'd actually need to use one.

180ls1

WKR
I'm resurrecting a nearly year-old thread but my understanding is that the upcoming IOS 18 update for Apple iPhone 14s and 15s will enable texting via satellite. I hope that's true as it's why I decided against getting a Garmin 66i at a great price; I'll use my 15 for that.

Until reliability is proven, I am keeping my Mini on the cheapest service plan. I'll have that in addition to my iphone 14.

Used Garmin mini's can be found quite cheap now.

yfarm

WKR
After having been ass bitten repeatedly I now understand it is encumbent on me to fully evaluate any product I buy. The disclosures from the companies are never complete, highlighting only the positives, never revealing the negatives. When you decide to change a major piece of safety equipment from a known performer to an unknown look at every aspect of the new product. Hope should have nothing to do with it.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I think the next iOS update expected in Sept is supposed to have satellite texting capabilities. I wouldn't throw out the mini yet without evaluating the Apple system, but I'm looking forward to seeing if it can work. I still keep a standalone gps as backup to my phone even though I switched years ago. I imagine keeping the mini as backup bc it can be so critical.

Last edited:

bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think the next iOS update expected in Sept is supposed to have satellite texting capabilities. I wouldn't throw out the mini yet without evaluating the Apple system, but I'm looking forward to seeing if it can work. I still keep a standalone gps as backup to my phone even though I switched years ago. I imagine keeping the mini as backup bc it can be so critical.

Have been testing out the iOS 18 beta and satellite texting works very well. Have cancelled my inreach subscription for the season.

No charge for iPhone satellite texting either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Split toe

WKR
Have been testing out the iOS 18 beta and satellite texting works very well. Have cancelled my inreach subscription for the season.

No charge for iPhone satellite texting either.

So it seems legit? No issues?

bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
So it seems legit? No issues?

None so far. Very fast to acquire satellite, the messaging app shows where to point phone, faster than inreach. No character limits either. You can create a emergency contacts list from people you want to receive messages via satellite from. Also can send location updates to people via the find my app on the phone. That’s with the ios18 update, I believe ios17 already had the sos features.

I have an older Inreach model that really should be replaced. I was considering ordering one this year but since this was announced I’ve decided to hold off. I have a 12 Pro that’s getting long in the tooth. I wouldn’t mind having USB C charging and if it also replaces the Inreach and that subscription cost - great.

I figure I’ll replace my phone, then give it a season to make sure it works the way I’m hoping it would.

iPhone 15 ≠ inReach

you're at camp and okay- no go w/ the 15
hey Hon call Mark I've got the truck stuck here_______- no go w/ the 15
hey John I've got a bull down, can you help me pack it out - no go w/ the 15
change of plans, going to bail and be at this trailhead instead- no go w/ the 15

everyone carries the inReach for emergency use, but knock on wood- rarely does someone use it for that; on the other hand most use it for almost all trips taken for some reason or the other

someday your cell phone will replace the inReach, but it's not today

Thats probably a very accurate take

I also heavily dislike Iphone and my next phone will not have any baked in google or Apple services so i'll be using the InReach unless Elon introduces a phone that operates over Starlink

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Used it last week and weekend both on a fishing boat offshore and up in the Sierras, satellite acquires quickly and outgoing and incoming messages are pretty damn quick. However, I am not sure if it works with anyone that doesnt have the 14 or 15. Tried texting my friend with an older phone and it didnt go through.

Correct me if im wrong but if thats the case thats the only con I think of. Otherwise since the inReach takes so long to send and receive texts I think running the new iphone is better for the satellite messaging. With that being said, ill still carry mine and pay the 10$ subscription for minimal texts and the SOS feature just in case.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats probably a very accurate take

I also heavily dislike Iphone and my next phone will not have any baked in google or Apple services so i'll be using the InReach unless Elon introduces a phone that operates over Starlink
@doc holiday13

That's a dated statement by me, before they announced full text capability to be launched- previously some of the phones had emergency use only capabilities, hence my descriptors of the different ways I've used my inReach (non emergency)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to upgrade my iphone12 to a 16 when they come out. I'll carry the Mini with me for several trips and see how the iPhone works. If it's a green light, will probably nix the Mini, if not I'll keep carrying the Mini :)

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
@doc holiday13

That's a dated statement by me, before they announced full text capability to be launched- previously some of the phones had emergency use only capabilities, hence my descriptors of the different ways I've used my inReach (non emergency)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to upgrade my iphone12 to a 16 when they come out. I'll carry the Mini with me for several trips and see how the iPhone works. If it's a green light, will probably nix the Mini, if not I'll keep carrying the Mini :)
This is my plan as well. I remember not too long ago carrying both my GPS with a chip in it AND my phone with downloaded maps before I trusted OnX fully :ROFLMAO:.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is my plan as well. I remember not too long ago carrying both my GPS with a chip in it AND my phone with downloaded maps before I trusted OnX just having my phone :ROFLMAO:.

The reason I don't still have a flip phone (maybe they don't still make them???) is when Gaiagps came out I bought a smartphone- I carried my gps and phone for almost a year before ditching the gps :D

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I was just in the mountains down in a 3000' plus valley last week. I used my Inreach mini 2 to text my wife I made it there ok and again the next day. It took a couple minutes for the text to go through but it went. I did try the weather update portion but it wouldn't connect. I don't think I gave it enough time though and I was under a bunch of trees so it would have probably worked better in a field with a direct line of sight to the satellites. The Inreach is a great little tool to have and I enjoyed using the simple Earthmate app too. Costco is where I got mine a couple years ago.