iPhone 14 Pro - Which camera app for digiscoping?

Antares

WKR
Hi all - Hoping someone can help me out here.

I mostly scope through a Kowa 884. With my old iPhone Xr the standard iPhone camera app worked fine (because there was only one camera), but with the 14 I need to be able to manually control which camera is being used. I have an app that lets me choose which camera, but it doesn't have an auto exposure/auto focus lock (AE/AF Lock) feature, which means the manual focus on the scope and the auto focus on the camera are always fighting each other.

So, what's the best camera app for digiscoping with an iPhone 14 Pro? What app lets me control which camera is being used and has an AE/AF Lock feature?

Thanks!

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Anyone?

I can't be the only one digiscoping with an iPhone 14 Pro, right?! What are you guys doing to get manual control of the camera, exposure, focus, etc.?

I use a scopecam case and adapter with my 14pro. The phone automatically chooses the lens that’s properly aligned. The only problem I’ve run into is taking video while not attached to the spotter, if you zoom in it’ll want to change lenses but the rest are partially covered by the case so it gets real glitchy for a couple seconds until it returns to the original one.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I use a scopecam case and adapter with my 14pro. The phone automatically chooses the lens that’s properly aligned. The only problem I’ve run into is taking video while not attached to the spotter, if you zoom in it’ll want to change lenses but the rest are partially covered by the case so it gets real glitchy for a couple seconds until it returns to the original one.

Thanks. I guess I'll try to use the iPhone camera app again, but it wasn't working from what I remember. It was just black, like it kept jumping to the camera that wasn't aligned with the lens.

Are other people successfully using the iPhone camera app or are you using third party camera apps?

You can use the MagView app to lock the camera. You can also change the native camera app so that the lens does not auto change.

If you tick these settings on an iphone it will prevent it from auto switching to macro lens and give you the option to change manually. And the preserve settings will keep the camera on the last setting you used when you launch the app again.

Camera -> Tick Macro Control
Camera -> Preserve settings -> Tick Macro control

That is how I do it on the iPhone with the iPhone app.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
You can use the MagView app to lock the camera. You can also change the native camera app so that the lens does not auto change.

If you tick these settings on an iphone it will prevent it from auto switching to macro lens and give you the option to change manually. And the preserve settings will keep the camera on the last setting you used when you launch the app again.

Camera -> Tick Macro Control
Camera -> Preserve settings -> Tick Macro control

That is how I do it on the iPhone with the iPhone app.

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I needed. I didn’t even think of it being an option in the native app! Awesome. Thanks again.

Which digiscoping adapter are you using? I use the MagView and basically walk it into view as it snaps on. Seems to work fine.

Phone Skope

The one thing I notice is that it switches to the macro camera, and you have to push that little 'no macro' button on the screen.

macro-control-icon.jpg

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
The one thing I notice is that it switches to the macro camera, and you have to push that little 'no macro' button on the screen.

macro-control-icon.jpg

Yes, thank you. That was the pieces I was missing. Further, @puihitangata's post above shows how to preserve that setting so it doesn't automatically revert/reset.