Iowa non-resident hunting experiences

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t draw zone 5 with 4 points. I am in shock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damn! That sucks. Seems like zone 5 has been a lock with 4 points these past few years and even a few guys would get lucky with 3 points. Not this year. I can’t believe it took 4 points to draw zone 6. If I recall correctly, that could be drawn with 2 points last year. Point creep is even hitting Iowa NR deer.

jeffpg

WKR
There’s a lot to consider.
One is the cost. It’s the most I ever pay the state to hunt one deer. Sure, there’s a doe tag included (forced) but I don’t even use it.
Second and most important is access. This kept me on the bench in Iowa until I met a fellow western hunter from Iowa who owns property in Iowa.
Having said that, I’d do what I did and start building points. I drew with 4 this year. I drew with 3 in 2016 and got a nice mature 10 point buck. I hunted for 2 weeks during the archery rut season and had a blast, seeing multiple mature bucks. Heavy rutting activity, even filmed a 10 point breeding a doe.
Build points and continue to research. Perhaps you will catch a break like I did. If not then find public ground until you get lucky with some private.
Good Luck!

WCB

WKR
IMO, the NEED to hunt private is B.S. my dad and uncle have some prime private to hunt that a family friend owns in Southern Iowa. Been going there since the 80's pheasant and deer hunting both archery and shotgun. To this day they still occasionally hunt the public and have killed some really nice deer off of it 150's -high 160's type bucks and have seen bigger.

I have 4 points and will probably apply next year for archery. I just have a hard time spending that kind of money to shoot a whitetail. I'd rather kill a mule deer or elk or go to some lesser known states with tags costing half and kill similar bucks to what the majority kill in Iowa anyways.

Gunner10

FNG
ive drawn twice now, hunted different zones and had great hunts but price and waiting 4+ years to draw has me debating if its something ill keep doing to spend that money to go else where more often and try to get a new state/area figured out

I'm from Iowa , a lot of people didn't get drawn this year. Sounds like there were a lot of applications. Tremendous amount of state land to hunt if you're willing to get off the beaten path. There is a lot of state land that is land locked by private land that people don't know about you just have to know how to get to it .

BigJoeXD

FNG
I'm from Iowa , a lot of people didn't get drawn this year. Sounds like there were a lot of applications. Tremendous amount of state land to hunt if you're willing to get off the beaten path. There is a lot of state land that is land locked by private land that people don't know about you just have to know how to get to it .

This is very true! Just have to put the time in looking at maps and scouting. I'm an Iowa transplant, been here 8 years and still struggle on public land. I have a very demanding job so time is my limiting factor. I've tried knocking on doors or making connections through work and have yet to be successful.

I have a two public spots where I hike 1+ mile in to get away from folks or navigate around private. Some years I've been walked in on more times than I can count, other years I've never seen another person or vehicle in the lot during bow season.

This may be a long shot, but if any of the local Iowa guys have any intel around eastern/south eastern IA (Iowa City) I'm open to suggestions or some type of trade for info.

If anyone would like tips or where to please ask. I grew up and live in Southern Iowa and going out west for the first time I under stand what local help means. Attached is last falls buck.
I am planning a trip in the fall of 2022. I am taking my father on his first out of state hunt. We both have 5 points. I am just needing to narrow down a zone and maybe a few different hunting areas to try and scout. Thankful for any advice

stevewes2004

Lil-Rokslider
2 for 2 on Public.

I love Iowa….

04bb32ffa82d8a219956742fbff7f139.jpeg

075d8d3a3e3f482a9be2d158dd151a6d.jpg

I'm assuming you guys are driving in to iowa with your gear like stand /sticks/ saddles but if you were to fly in how would you approach this from a diy nonres archery approach on public? Ive been building points and figured I'd figure out the hunting part when the time comes and we're still a ways out but can it be done spot n stalk on the ground with maybe a decoy during the rut or is that frowned upon for whitetail? I hunt axis deer off the ground so wouldn't be a complete knucklehead wandering aimlessly in the woods. I suppose I could go buy and lightweight stand and sticks when I got there or maybe invest in a saddle setup that I could probably bring on the plane (stand sticks wouldn't though) but curious on input of more experienced whitetail hunters.

stevewes2004

Lil-Rokslider
I'm assuming you guys are driving in to iowa with your gear like stand /sticks/ saddles but if you were to fly in how would you approach this from a diy nonres archery approach on public? Ive been building points and figured I'd figure out the hunting part when the time comes and we're still a ways out but can it be done spot n stalk on the ground with maybe a decoy during the rut or is that frowned upon for whitetail? I hunt axis deer off the ground so wouldn't be a complete knucklehead wandering aimlessly in the woods. I suppose I could go buy and lightweight stand and sticks when I got there or maybe invest in a saddle setup that I could probably bring on the plane (stand sticks wouldn't though) but curious on input of more experienced whitetail hunters.

This type of hunting and flying don’t mix well for me lol.. I carry multiple stand/stick combos, deer cart, skinning pole, coolers to bring meat home plus all the normal gear.

If you were to fly, you’d definitely want to invest in a saddle. If you killed something just find someone to donate the meat to then take the antlers and cape on the plane home. Skip the deer cart and skinning pole and just quarter the deer and pack it out like a western hunt.