IOS 18 is available

Erict

WKR
Any idea how timestamping is working for those messages? In good cell coverage, if I send a message over cell at 1000, the receiver will see the timestamp as 1000. If you press SEND on a text message via satellite and it gets lost in the matrix for a while, does the receiver see the 1000 timestamp, or maybe 1030 when they actually get it?

PS - for those that didn't know, you can hold down and drag to left any text message to reveal the hidden timestamp - most useful for recent messages.

tdhanses

WKR
free satellite texting
Don’t you have to have an iPhone 16 for that functionality to work
No. You will not get a message/text pop up when out of cell service automatically. You have to physically pull out your phone and connect to the satellite. When out of cell service range, your phone will give you a prompt asking if you would like to satellite text.

We found that texts sent to you previously when you were out of cell service range and not connected to a satellite did not always come through when you decide to connect back to a satellite. We found it best to re-initiate a text conversation with an individual and then most likely those texts would come through.

If you have even a single bar of cell service, you will not get the prompt to use satellite texting. It was odd that even with satellite, some texts went through as iMessage and others as regular texts.
can you use it on airplane mode?

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
From what I've read any iPhone 14 or newer with the iOS 18 installed will receive the function. As far as testing is concerned I haven't been able to figure out a way to actually test it without strictly using the demo. From what I've read so long as the phone senses that there is signal it will not allow the sat function to turn on. I would imagine that airplane mode would also disable the sat function.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
Not strictly true. Just think how OnX mines ALL your honey holes and now even trail camera photos. You pay and they still sell your data, they just anonymize it.

I wish a privacy based hunting gps option would be available.
Just think, You hike into your secret spot opening morning and you glass across the opening and you spot a guy wearing OnX logo !

Mattyq17

Lil-Rokslider
I have an iPhone 14 pro max and tested it out yesterday, it sent the text, but I did get a prompt that the recipient "May not be able to reply from devices where the software hasn't been updated."

tdhanses

WKR
From what I've read any iPhone 14 or newer with the iOS 18 installed will receive the function. As far as testing is concerned I haven't been able to figure out a way to actually test it without strictly using the demo. From what I've read so long as the phone senses that there is signal it will not allow the sat function to turn on. I would imagine that airplane mode would also disable the sat function.
I prefer to have my phone on airplane mode, it lasts almost a week battery wise doing this yet I can still use my inreach and gps apps.

If this eats up the battery fast I could see a case for keeping the inreach to communicate.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider

From the OP. You have to go to some setting connect, don’t move, re connect, press some more buttons, blink one eye, stand on one foot, touch your nose then send a txt. Repeat backwards to receive a txt.

Suck my balls, apple. This is some dumb tech. I can’t wrap my head around the fact that they easily have the ability to release something that is far more simple but they do this as a teaser.

180ls1

WKR
I used the beta version for last couple weeks. It works with caveats.

You have to connect to a satellite before you can start the process. Very simple, and iPhone shows you which way to point your phone. Green signal with good connection, yellow if still connected but poorly.

Satellites move fairly quickly, so you need to continually adjust to stay connected.

You need to remain connected to a satellite to receive texts. If texting with someone who has normal 5g or WiFi, it is almost the same with back and forth as if you had normal signal as long as you stay connected. Green dot at top of phone confirms that satellite connection.

If phone goes into normal sleep mode after a minute or 2, you will need to restart the connection process.

If texting with someone else who is also on satellite, it gets more tricky. Most sent texts will appear when the other person reconnects with the satellite. But some texts would not go through and somehow appear hours or possibly a day later. We found it best to keep sending occasional test texts until the other person responded when they reconnected with a satellite. Then when both were connected to satellite messaging, we could text back and forth like normal.

I was able to text my son who was miles away also without service when I had an archery bull down so we could work out a plan. It truly is pretty amazing.

Have you or anyone else played with turning iMessage on/off?

I have found turning it off (green texts only) improves text function when I am dancing on the edge of having service.

That is in regards to normal texting, not satellite texting.

OnX is selling my data? Can you prove that? To whom?

Screenshot_20240919_144911_Chrome.jpg

I mark way points as "shitting tree", because I thought it was a nice spot, had good support, wasn't worried about falling backwards.

With that agreement, it seems to me, onX could sell that personal information of mine. Now I'm no lawyer, so a lot of those words only mean what I'd assume they mean and not lawyer babble.

@fwafwow you are usually good at interpretation of these agreements, am I wrong?

fwafwow

WKR
View attachment 766429

I mark way points as "shitting tree", because I thought it was a nice spot, had good support, wasn't worried about falling backwards.

With that agreement, it seems to me, onX could sell that personal information of mine. Now I'm no lawyer, so a lot of those words only mean what I'd assume they mean and not lawyer babble.

@fwafwow you are usually good at interpretation of these agreements, am I wrong?
Ha! I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I reviewed a couple of parts of their policies, including a quick skim of the Privacy Policy (https://www.onxmaps.com/privacy-policy). I think the breadth of what they collect is pretty broad, and while they say they don’t “sell” info, they do “share” it with “partners” etc. - including advertisers. I’m not sure what that means practically speaking with respect to location info.

SDHNTR

WKR
View attachment 766429

Those are a bunch of words that say absolutely nothing.