IOS 18 is available

ODB

WKR
"Messages via satellite is available in the U.S. and Canada. It's free for two years after the activation of an iPhone 14 or later (all models)."

And after?

SDHNTR

WKR
How do you use it? Or activate the sat text feature? Does it automatically access Sat if no cell service?

Last edited:

jrb CO

FNG
I used the beta version for last couple weeks. It works with caveats.

You have to connect to a satellite before you can start the process. Very simple, and iPhone shows you which way to point your phone. Green signal with good connection, yellow if still connected but poorly.

Satellites move fairly quickly, so you need to continually adjust to stay connected.

You need to remain connected to a satellite to receive texts. If texting with someone who has normal 5g or WiFi, it is almost the same with back and forth as if you had normal signal as long as you stay connected. Green dot at top of phone confirms that satellite connection.

If phone goes into normal sleep mode after a minute or 2, you will need to restart the connection process.

If texting with someone else who is also on satellite, it gets more tricky. Most sent texts will appear when the other person reconnects with the satellite. But some texts would not go through and somehow appear hours or possibly a day later. We found it best to keep sending occasional test texts until the other person responded when they reconnected with a satellite. Then when both were connected to satellite messaging, we could text back and forth like normal.

I was able to text my son who was miles away also without service when I had an archery bull down so we could work out a plan. It truly is pretty amazing.

jrb CO

FNG
Also, the beta version says you can only text with people listed as “emergency contacts” in your phone. I was able to text with anyone, so I’m not sure if that will actually be a future limitation.

And, it is pretty easy to stay satellite connected as your phone will point right or left with arrows if you need to readjust to keep the strongest satellite signal.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Also, the beta version says you can only text with people listed as “emergency contacts” in your phone. I was able to text with anyone, so I’m not sure if that will actually be a future limitation.

And, it is pretty easy to stay satellite connected as your phone will point right or left with arrows if you need to readjust to keep the strongest satellite signal.
Great review!

The guys who say they are still going to carry zoleo/in-reach must be some of the same guys who said they were going to keep carrying a stand alone GPS device.

I am not the smartest bulb in the pack but I just started the update on my phone and it says 17.7.

*** After 17.7 finished updating I went back in and checked for updates again. It said my phone was "up to date" but at the bottom of the screen there was a button to update to 18 so that is happening now.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used the beta version for last couple weeks. It works with caveats.

You have to connect to a satellite before you can start the process. Very simple, and iPhone shows you which way to point your phone. Green signal with good connection, yellow if still connected but poorly.

Satellites move fairly quickly, so you need to continually adjust to stay connected.

You need to remain connected to a satellite to receive texts. If texting with someone who has normal 5g or WiFi, it is almost the same with back and forth as if you had normal signal as long as you stay connected. Green dot at top of phone confirms that satellite connection.

If phone goes into normal sleep mode after a minute or 2, you will need to restart the connection process.

If texting with someone else who is also on satellite, it gets more tricky. Most sent texts will appear when the other person reconnects with the satellite. But some texts would not go through and somehow appear hours or possibly a day later. We found it best to keep sending occasional test texts until the other person responded when they reconnected with a satellite. Then when both were connected to satellite messaging, we could text back and forth like normal.

I was able to text my son who was miles away also without service when I had an archery bull down so we could work out a plan. It truly is pretty amazing.
Have you had any experience with the following scenario? Let’s say I’m hunting in an area with moderate to zero cell signal depending on where I’m at. Will my phone automatically check for satellite messages when out of service? What’s the protocol if I have poor cell service, will my phone check via satellite even if it has a minimal cell reception? What about when IMessage isn’t or can’t be used (because of a lack of data connection or the other person has an android)

fwafwow

WKR
Have you had any experience with the following scenario? Let’s say I’m hunting in an area with moderate to zero cell signal depending on where I’m at. Will my phone automatically check for satellite messages when out of service? What’s the protocol if I have poor cell service, will my phone check via satellite even if it has a minimal cell reception? What about when IMessage isn’t or can’t be used (because of a lack of data connection or the other person has an android)
I don't know the answers, but I think a could resource is the /iOSBeta subreddit. Looks like they have been testing and posting about various iOS 18 topics, including satellite issues, for a while.

f16woody

FNG
Does it matter which cell service provider you are using? I thought cell phone satellite comms were dependent on the carrier.

jrb CO

FNG
No. You will not get a message/text pop up when out of cell service automatically. You have to physically pull out your phone and connect to the satellite. When out of cell service range, your phone will give you a prompt asking if you would like to satellite text.

We found that texts sent to you previously when you were out of cell service range and not connected to a satellite did not always come through when you decide to connect back to a satellite. We found it best to re-initiate a text conversation with an individual and then most likely those texts would come through.

If you have even a single bar of cell service, you will not get the prompt to use satellite texting. It was odd that even with satellite, some texts went through as iMessage and others as regular texts.

Does this mean apple is gonna be selling your hunting spots now?

Example: bull down, bring packs and beer.

IOS saves your GPS position.

I mean nothing is free, and data mining is what most of the free stuff is getting.

This has given me an idea, I'm now texting, help! i have fallen and can't get up!

Algorithm will think it's an area with high rates of injury and will deter people from entering.

Does this mean apple is gonna be selling your hunting spots now?

Example: bull down, bring packs and beer.

IOS saves your GPS position.

I mean nothing is free, and data mining is what most of the free stuff is getting.

Not strictly true. Just think how OnX mines ALL your honey holes and now even trail camera photos. You pay and they still sell your data, they just anonymize it.

I wish a privacy based hunting gps option would be available.