Investments outside of retirement

low2497

FNG
Looking for some advice from the investors/bogleheads around here. I want to start investing for a down payment on land or rental properties. Looking at a 5-10 year goal. I already have my retirement contributions and emergency fund squared away and my only debt is a mortgage, so I am looking for ideas on what to do with the rest of my spare cash each month.

I have a brokerage account setup with Vanguard where I use to buy shares of ETFs (Not a considerable amount of shares in there). Should I continue to buy ETFs (Currently have a mixture of VOO and QQQ) or should I be looking at mutual funds? Any other ideas on where to be dumping cash during these crazy times if the funds aren't needed for the foreseeable future?

peterk123

WKR
Well since this is a hunting forum I think the most appropriate recommendation is to "invest in guns, ammo and sundry hunting gear".

I'd look hard at ibonds for at least a limited portion of it (can only do $10k per person per year). Right now, and especially if you bought one over a few weeks ago, they are right now a very low risk route for a decent return - especially for a relatively near term need. FWIW....

svivian

WKR
I’m going to give a different option that may or may not be popular.

If your goal is 5-10 years I would look at tax lien properties. For this year the return is 12% and after three years you can have the deed to the property which is a win win if you are looking for land or investment properties. It is also a fairly safe bet but you do need to do your due diligence